“Amazing Service”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Rutland, Vermont
“Amazing Service”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Went to Boston for a Celtics game with a friend and chose the Onyx for its location only. Prior to this visit I never stayed at a Kimpton hotel, so did not know what to expect. We pulled up the valet was right there, he pointed us in the right direction and set up our valet card. The people at the front desk were great, especially considering it appeared to be a very business oriented environment and we were dressed for the game. After the game we wanted something to eat, the overnight crew sent us on our way with menus. After calling a few places we decided to get something from the hotel, the food was at our door within 20 minutes and it was excellent. The gentleman who brought us our food noticed we didn't have any drinks ran downstairs and grabbed us some sodas within minutes. Beds were comfortable, shower was great, service was above and beyond, all in all I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mike M
Michal P, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2014
Thank you so very much for the great review Mike M! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that the game was just as great.

Hope to see you amongst our guests in the future.

Best,
Michal Penek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Serbian first
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 2, 2014

This was not my first choice hotel. Normally when I visit Boston I try to stay at the Hotel Marlowe, which is another Kimpton, but they happened to be sold out for one of the nights I needed. I have stayed at the Marlowe a few times and everything has always been great. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the Onyx.

The disappointment started from the moment we got there. Pulled up to the valet stand, but there was no valet. Since there was no valet we went to check in. There was a line at the front desk since half the staff was hanging out and only 1 person appeared to be working. The person working wasn't friendly and certainly did not seem to want to be there. Asked the front desk about the valet, but they had no clue where he was.

What I found weird, is that every other Kimpton I have stayed at has always been about top notch service. This hotel had a missing valet for most of our trip, no concierge, no doorman, no bellhop that I could see. When the staff was actually congregated around the small excuse for a front desk, they all seemed to be hanging out more than actually working.

The rooms are recently renovated, but terribly small. Our room was dark with one small window that was tucked back between 2 other rooms, so there was not much light. Also had a view of nothing except a rooftop below us. Beds were ok, but not super comfortable. The good news is they appeared to be brand new. There wasn't a lot of space to move about the room easily. Attempted to watch some NCAA basketball, but they positioned the TV so perfectly that the lamp on the nightstand provided enough glare to make it incredibly difficult to see. The walls are also incredibly thin and had to listen to all the drunks in the hotel all night long while trying to sleep.

One major, which I mentioned already is the valet. Be warned that the Onyx actually has the audacity to charge $47 for valet parking. Yes, $47 f*****g dollars. I can park all over NYC for less than that. The valet is nearly impossible to find so if you do manage to get your car parked, good luck getting it back. This happened multiple times over the weekend. Also, I am not sure where they actually park, but it must be in another state. Either that or they must have stopped for a snack or a meal before bringing the car back. Every time we finally managed to find the valet or have the front desk actually call for our car it took at least 20 minutes to get our car. After the first time I actually started timing it on my watch each time after that and 20 minutes was the shortest wait.

Overall, I have never been so let down or disappointed by a Kimpton hotel before. If the Onyx were the only Kimpton available in Boston, I would actually opt for another brand before staying here again. There are plenty of other boutique and luxury hotels in Boston, including 2 other Kimpton hotels. Stay anywhere but the Onyx unless you like to be ripped off and disappointed.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank antsmarchn
Hello antsmarchn,

Thank you for taking the time to write an in depth review. I am very sorry you were so deeply disappointed with your stay. I would love to speak with you and hear all the details, as well as see how to make things right.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Michal.penek@onyxhotel.com
Passaic Park, New Jersey
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I like the Onyx - it's intimate, quiet, and close to North End and Beacon Hill. It's trendy, pet friendly, with nice furnishings and a bit fun. On previous stays (annual visits for friend's birthday) we were made to feel really special. Complimentary wine / cookies, really friendly reception at reception, etc.

This stay was less so - it felt like anyhotel rather than a Kimpton. The hotel is still clean, and pleasant; I think service - at least during my visit - was less impressive. We aren't demanding - but we had a problem with room safe not working that took several visits to fix. The engineers who came were nice and friendly, but it took up our time. Reception was okay; they didn't register or acknowledge we were there for the third time - staff were effusive when it was only the second visit. It was noticeable for this reason. The attendant in restaurant the next morning was not the friendliest at all.

Other changes - the large high backed sofas in lobby were removed. Perhaps it makes for easier circulation, though there are fewer places to sit now. There are tables / seating in the lounge which doubles as restaurant, but feels odd to sit there when just planning your outing and not ready for meal yet. Still a nice place to stay which I recommend, I wish I'd reviewed the previous time when all went really well.

Room Tip: Upper floors are good for light and views. Side rooms face light court and overlook machinery (on lo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Hi ShaunNJ,

First off, thank you so much for continuing to return to us, I appreciate it as I know you have many choices when visiting Boston.

I was disappointed to read that your third visit was just so so, compared to your previous visits with us.

I hope that you choose to give us another try, I promise we can do better! If you do in fact decide to come back, please feel free to reach out to me directly.

Michal.penek@onyxhotel.com
Palm Coast, Florida
Reviewed April 1, 2014

The Onyx Boston was in a good location and is within walking distance of many attractions and sites. The staff was friendly, courteous, and helpful. The Hotel itself was a little odd for my taste. The room was decorated with very different colored nontraditional furniture. The room was very small with very little space to store our luggage. The vibe of the hotel was more of a college fraternity house rather than a boutique style hotel.

Overall the Onyx served its purpose for my stay but I would not recommend it for any type of family stay. For a young couple wanting to be in the center of things it may work.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank swcole1
Thank you for the feedback swcole1!

Wichita Falls, Texas
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Got a great deal to to take a red eye to Boston last August...Bad idea except for that booked a room at Onyx. We were attending an event a TD garden so the location was perfect. Arrived at the hotel at 600am and of coarse we wanted to check in after being up for the last 24 hrs. The staff did everything they could recommended places open for breakfast and got my cell number to call me as soon a room was ready. Around 1000am my phone rang and they got us in. We were able to take a nice long nap before our event and thankfully we were re-energized and ready because of the staff. I have been to many fine hotels that would just blow you off and think well its your fault you flew in so early. Hotel is close to the Italian district and Regina Pizzeria which is awesome to have a beer and a pie before an event. The rooms were nice and cozy and after dozing off the park across the street on a slab of concrete the bed was heavenly. Thanks greatly to the staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so happy that you enjoyed your time with us RussU2525. Hope the event at TD Garden was great as well!

Best,
Bowdoinham, Maine
Reviewed March 28, 2014

This is one of my favorite hotels I have ever stayed in. As a relatively frequent traveler, that is saying quite a bit.
As a traveler, I tend to gravitate to chain establishments. I know what to expect and I am rarely disappointed as a result. When I travel to Boston to work, I usually stay in the Fenway Park / Copley Square area. Since the purpose of this trip was to attend a Celtics game, staying on that side of town was not logical.
The Onyx looked like a cute boutique hotel and the Trip Advisor reviews were positive. I checked out the company online and the rates were very reasonable, especially considering it was a game night. I booked.
I received an email shortly thereafter asking for information about why I was coming to town. I almost didn’t respond, but figured why not? I responded and stated I was bringing my daughter to her first Celtics game and that it also happened to be my birthday.
Upon checking into the hotel, I was greeted with a ‘Happy Birthday’ from the personable front desk attendant. He was friendly, kind and very patient with all our ‘tourist’ questions. Upon checking into the room there were cupcakes for my daughter and a birthday gift for myself, including a card with a very sweet handwritten note from guest services. I could not have been more impressed with this. This is the type of personal touch that makes the Onyx stand apart from other hotels in the area. We still talk about this regularly. This small gesture and personal touch that doesn’t cost an establishment much to do, left a lasting impression with us.
The rooms are great. Tastefully done and with little touches that make this hotel feel warm and inviting. It was not stale, stark white and bare. The colors are vibrant, tasteful and the room layout is great.
After the game we had a couple of drinks in the bar area and the person who attended to us was excellent. Made conversation with my daughter and was very personable. Checkout the next day was excellent as well. We did not partake in the morning breakfast as we had a long drive ahead of us although it smelled excellent.
If we didn’t already have a commitment the next day, we most certainly would have stayed another night at the Onyx. We know this is a hotel we will be returning to soon.
Thank you Onyx for a great experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank FLKeyz
Michal P, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2014
Thank you so much for the amazing review FLKeyz! I am so happy your daughter and you had a great time with us.

Hope to see you back here soon,
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

We were pleasantly surprised at the wonderful and welcoming staff we met on our stay at the Onyx Kimpton, especially Dava who was very knowledgable,friendly, and upbeat. She recommended many interesting places that we throughly enjoyed.
The Hotel it self was very well refurbished with a comfortable yet stylish feel.
I would recommend this location, it is near the Garden, expressway and train station.
But stay away from the Mini Bar!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
So happy we were the good kind of surprise Ann Marie d!