“Above and beyond!”

Kimpton Onyx Hotel
Ranked #30 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 15, 2013

On April 27, 2013 I bought tickets to see the Rolling Stones in Boston on June14 for my husbands birthday. At the same time, I booked The Onyx. We have stayed several times, love the hotel and were very excited. As usual I received an e-mail confirming my stay. Unfortunately, I never looked at it.
We live on the Vineyard, so when the weather looked like it would be terrible to travel on the 14th we decided to leave a day early and go to Boston on the 13th. I opened my email confirmation to call the Onyx and add another night only to see that the date confirmed was April 27 and it had been cancelled as a no-show. (And I had been charged full amount as is their policy.). My own stupid mistake!! But now, I had no place to stay.
I called the Onyx, explained my mistake and was transferred to Zoe. What a pleasure! After explaining again my own stupidity she was able to not only book my room for the 13 & 14, but she also spoke with the site managers and they said they would refund 1/2 of the cost I lost on my April "no-show". I was thrilled and thanked her very much for her help.
Minutes later the phone rang and it was Zoe telling me that after speaking with the on site manager again (John and Ashley) they decided to refund all of my "no-show". She was amazing!
So, we have just returned from our wonderful mini vacation of 2 nights at The Onyx and seeing The Stones. As usually we were treated by a wonderful front desk staff (Jennifer) and were in our room in minutes. We arrived to a nice bottle of wine. The beds as usual are the most comfortable we've ever slept in. Joe at the bar you are always a pleasure. And last but not least-Sean, the Bellman-thank you for the surprise of the beer in our room and the nice note. You made my husbands day.
As usual-The Onyx went above and beyond! Thank You!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Awesome! I will make sure Zoe, John, Ashley, Sean and Jennifer see your review, thank you for the great feedback! I hope you enjoyed the concert too!

joe.capalbo@onyxhotel.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,486)

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Just got back to the UK after a 6 night stay at the Onyx, the room was very clean and a pretty good size for down town Boston, I have pet allergies and had emailed ahead of our visit to mention this and when we checked in they mentioned they had a note on file and had placed us in a room on a different floor to where pet owners are normally placed, not that I think we actually saw any guests with pets on our visit but it was appreciated that it had been taken into consideration.

We were on the 5th floor and had no problems with noise, but we live in the city at home so the odd truck/car noise doesn't bother us at all, can't say that we remember it being noisy at all though.

As others have said, its worth signing up to the Kimpton guest program, its free and gets you free wi-fi and a mini bar coupon, regardless of who you booked through, and I think if you book through Kimpton themselves they give you a free nights stay for every x number of nights booked. We booked through Hotels.com but still got the free-wifi and mini bar coupon, and was quite pleasantly surprised that although we had signed up prior to the trip, the front desk mentioned this to us while we were checking in despite booking through a 3rd party.

Hotel is pretty much convenient to everything, 10 minute walk to the North End, and several T stops all within minutes walk of the Hotel, we got a 7 day T pass and found getting around easy, it's generally easier to take the orange line back to North Station though as 99.999999% of the green line trolleys terminate at Government center, or at least for us they always did.

There's a wine reception each evening in the Lobby, but we were always out or only popping back in before heading out to Dinner so no idea how it is, nice it's offered though.

A few things probably worth knowing:

The housekeeping staff start quite early so unless you're an early riser, don't forget to put the privacy tag up as they started on our floor around 8am-ish, we tend to sleep in a little on vacation and so was taken by surprise by this, needless to say we made sure to remember the rest of the week.

Its very much in the heart of Boston so there is a lot of traffic, people and noise in the neighbourhood, room felt pretty quiet to myself and my wife but might be worth asking to be put on a high floor if you're a light sleeper.

Porters Grill literally ten seconds down the street is full of friendly staff, cheap brews (Proper ales as well, not just terrible Bud Light and the ilk) and great bar food, definitely worth a visit for a few drinks or a quick lunch, and is within stumbling distance of the lobby, what more could you

TV Channel lineup is quite basic, not a big deal as you don't go on vacation to watch TV, but was looking forward to watching Daily Show again only to find Comedy Central wasn't available, not an issue at all unless you're kinda lame like me.

Apparently Kimpton price match 3rd party sites, admit we'd never heard of Kimpton Hotels before, if we had known this though we probably would of price matched/booked direct and gotten credit towards a free night's stay.

It had already been far too long between our last visit 'home' (My wife is a native of MA and I lived there for many years before we moved to England) so hopefully it won't be as many years before our next visit, but we certainly wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher floors probably have less street level traffic. Let the Hotel know ahead of time if you'r...
2  Thank Dekks_UK

Wow, you covered it all in your review! Thank you for the kind words and we hope we become your go to spot in Boston! And yes...we do match all rates on 3rd party sites and you will receive credit or your stays if you book directly through us.

Thanks again!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Hotel interior is very fancy, trendy and loungy. The reception staff is very friendly although not very focused at the time when we were checking out. The lady was helping us with storing our luggage when she was distracted by other guests, this resulted in waiting to get our luggage stored for 10 min. (which actually could be done in less than 2 minutes!). Our room was very nice and clean but relatively small. The room was facing the Portland street which has a club called Johnnies opposite the hotel entrance, that causes a lot of noise (from ppl queuing in line and/or walking in the streets) around midnight on the Saturday night. We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights only, the other nights were just quiet. The room has an umbrella that you can borrow (absolute plus!) and a yoga mat for excising. Nice gimmick, but the room is so small, I really have no idea how you can roll out the yoga mat to do your exercises on. Water, coffee and tea are complimentary in the lobby, as well as the wine tasting sessions in the afternoon. The location is just perfect, close walking distance to North station and Haymarket station. Also close to Quincy market. Since Boston is relatively small, you can just walk to everywhere from the hotel. The hotel rates are high, feel a bit overpriced because of the small rooms and no breakfast included. Overall, very fancy and nice hotel, but next time we would probably consider a hotel a bit outside the city center and just rent a car since parking seems very easy and relatively cheap in Boston.

1  Thank shirley900
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Thanks for the feedback in the review, I appreciate it!

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Luckily, we only stayed one night. My girlfriend and I arrive at Onyx Hotel on the evening of June 5, 2013. We reserved a King Bed for the night. Instead of getting what we reserved (a king bed) we got 2 full beds. What was the front desks responce? "we're sorry!" That was it!?!? We're sorry?! For the price we paid for the night, we expect to get what we paid for and they couldnt accomodate. There were no discounted rates, they didnt spend anytime asking what they could do for us to resolve this issue, nothing! Again, we only stayed for the night... we went up to our room to shower from our long day of travel and low-and-behold... the shower head is broken. Not only broken, its mounted on the side wall where, when turned on... the water would shoot directly out of the tub! So proceed with caution when exited the tub.... We were able to get clean and eventually get comfortable on that little bed they gave us but i will never be back to that hotel again and definately wont reccommend it.

Room Tip: Ice Machines only on odd numbered floors
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

So sorry that we couldn't accomodate your request for a king bed, this sometime happens when the reservation is booked through a 3rd party site. Next time book directly with us (we match published rates) and we will ensure that this sort of thing doesn't happen. As for the shower, the description seems a bit odd, none of our shower heads are mounted the way you describe. We do have ADA accessible rooms that have shower wands, but those rooms typically don't give us much of an issue. We would have love the opportunity to take a look at the shower during your stay, but thank you for pointing it out here.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

My husband and I have spent 4 night on 2 different occasions at The Onyx. On his first trip (with our son on a "boys weekend") he became a member at checkout. He was pretty impressed with the service, the extremely friendly staff, convenient location to the TD, North Station, Subway, etc. As I type this, we are getting ready to check out from our 2nd stay. Let me tell you about it: we received an email a few days prior to our arrival asking if there was anything they could do to make the stay more like home or if we had any pictures of a family member we would like to put up in the room to make the trip more memorable. We sent a group of pics of our 7 year old, who is a frequent visitor of Children's Hospital. This was a hospital free trip to celebrate a lot. Our family loves visiting Boston to begin with, so it was an obvious choice for all of us. Well, when we got here, her pictures were all over the room in lovely frames, there were 3 gourmet cupcakes, gummy lobsters, a snow globe, a stuffed lobster and a goldfish swimming in a little bowl on the desk. There was a note from Dava, & John, the Front Desk Managers welcoming our child to the hotel, and to please take these gifts (sans goldfish) to remember them by. They knew her name before we got there and recognized her by sight the minute we walked through the doors. Everyone we encountered, from the valet on the way in to the valets we will see on the way out have been nothing but kind, enthusiastic, and all out accommodating. The folks who gripe about the smaller rooms, lack of bathroom vents, small gym and no pool are clearly overtired travelers. People, you're in a hotel to sleep; do you need 2400 square feet to do it? You are in the HEART of Boston!!! What would you need a pool for?!? Pools are overrated and proven bacteria havens...why take the chance on otitis media or athlete's foot to ruin your stay? The bathrooms defogged in record time too, so no worries there. Bottom line: This is where we will be staying when we are not on Longwood for medical business. Well done Dava, John, Jennifer and the rest of The Onyx staff...ESPECIALLY YOU, TONY!! Thank you all for making our little girl feel like the most famous person on the East Coast, and making our trip that much more enjoyable

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Carrie F
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

I. Heart. This. Review. It has already made the rounds in the hotel, we've shared it with everyone. Maybe I should give you the power to respond to reviews for a day :-)

Thanks for the great review!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Great location just up the street from the garden. Plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance, and there is a cab stand in front of the garden if you have trouble finding one. Very good service.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Thanks! Our staff can call cab or arrange a car for you easily too!

Thanks,

Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I took a trip to Boston for good food and good baseball before our daughter is born. We chose this property for the location and amenities. We were not disappointed at all. The staff was fantastic; very friendly and welcoming. The weekend was cold and rainy but the hotel provided an umbrella which was very helpful. We were able to walk to Faneuil Hall and Marketplace every day for tours and food. It is very close to the Italian district too. We did not rent a car but did not need one with two options for the T less than two blocks away. I would not hesitate to return to the hotel even with kids or in the future on a couple trip.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

So thrilled you chose to stay with us before your new addition! Thank you so much for the kind words and good luck with the impending birth of your daughter!