“Personal attention appreciated; great experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kimpton Onyx Hotel
Ranked #35 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Halifax, Nova Scotia
“Personal attention appreciated; great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

My father (75) and I stayed at the Onyx on March 25 and 26, 2013 for two nights of hockey and basketball at the Garden.

Using the hotel's Contact Us information, I wrote in advance to ask if vacancies allowed it, could we have an early check in as we'd be arriving before 10 am and my dad has just had his second knee replacement. Several emails back and forth followed and our request was put on our file.

When we arrived at 9 am, front desk manager Dava remembered our email exchange and had a room ready for us in 15 minutes, near the elevator so my dad didn't have to hike too far. And a plate of crackers, cheese and other treats arrived at our room that afternoon with a note from her wishing us a good stay and telling us to let her know if we needed anything. And she made a mean restaurant recommendation.

Add to that a great room-not huge but comfortable, a good sized bathroom, nice bath products, comfy leopard print bathrobes and lovely, warm faux mink throws on the bed and I have nothing but great things to say about the hotel and it's staff.

Location is also a plus. Couldn't be better if you are going to see the Bruins or Celtics. It was ideal to be able to easily walk to and from the Garden without worrying about traffic or parking or my dad getting too tired.

The only comment I will make that isn't glowing may have little do to with the hotel itself. Whenever possible, I prefer to book directly with a hotel. When I used expedia to find rates from multiple sites, the prices were all on par with the hotel itself. Except for one. And that one was over $100 cheaper for the two nights. It was nice that the booking being through a third party made no difference to my requests though.

The room was very nice, the customer service was impeccable and I can't speak highly enough of our stay for this once in a lifetime trip for my dad and me.

Room Tip: Room 801 is only a couple from the elevator with a view of the Garden and plenty of room for two peo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank cateyescan
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
I love that were able to play a small role in your "once in a lifetime" trip with your dad. I am so glad your requests were met and Dava took great care of you. I will make sure she knows!

Thanks for the great review!

joe.capalbo@onyxhotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Serbian first
La Verne, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

We booked this hotel because of its location, a two minute walk to the TD Garden. The rooms were small but cozy, the interior design was interesting (not my favorite style, but certainly something to appreciate) and the overall experience was good. A bit too pricey (we paid $200 for a double deluxe without breakfast), but it served our purpose, and for the usually high price for Boston hotels, it made sense.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
We are definitely THAT close to the Garden, perfect for a game or concert. Glad that overall, your stay was good!

Thanks for the feedback!

New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Yes the rooms are small like in Europe but comfortable for two people. We were in room 608 stayed March 21-24. We were there for a long weekend getaway and a gaming convention. The location was a 8-10 minute walk to Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market. There are a lot of places to eat and drink in the area. I loved relaxing in the Ruby Room - the hotel lounge. The cocktails are excellent and the people we spoke with enjoyed the food as well.
We love staying at the Kimpton properties when we stay especially due to the customer service and the small touches. When we arrived late we were greatest with smiles and nice small talk. When we arrived to our room we were greeted with half bottle of wine complete with glasses and chocolates with a very nice welcome note. Every evening they have a nice free wine happy hour for guests what a great way to unwind.
The bed was very comfortable with a nice choice of pillows. The shower was nice as well with full sized bottles of shampoo, conditioner and body wash. We would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We take pride in provding heartfelt service for our guest, so I am glad you felt it while you were here. Thanks for the great feedback!

Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I are Boston Bruins fans, and try to get to games several times a season. The onyx is the PERFECT location for staying near the TD Bank gahden'. We are always treated like royalty, and the rooms are adorable and comfortable. I love the decor, and the bathtub is heavenly. Perfect for taking a bubble bath, prior to the game and all pre-game festivities! Nicely located in between the bars and restaurants and walking distance to Quincy Market. We have stayed over and over, and really look forward to our stay there! Reasonable rates for a really great stay!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the higher floors!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jo E
I love that we are you "go to" hotel, and I also love that you call in the Gah-den! Spoken like a true local. Hopefully the home team doesn't dissapoint and we will see you for the playoffs!

Thanks for filling out a great review!

New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I wanted to drop a note and thank the wonderful staff of the Onyx Hotel in Boston for a great stay. My family and I were up there for a hockey tournament and wanted to catch a Bruins game. We were looking for a hotel close to TD Garden and came across the Onyx. The place looked nice enough on the website but I can tell you that the photos didn’t do the hotel, nor its staff justice.

When we pulled up, we were immediately greeted by a friendly valet attendant who took care of our car and luggage. We made our way into the hotel and were welcomed by two wonderful front desk associates that happily chatted with us about our visit as we checked in. My wife was joking and laughing with them as if she’d know them longer then the few minutes we were at the desk. We made our way up to the rooms and were very happy with the space and the cleanliness of the room (a big “must” for anyone traveling with family). My 10 and 12-year old sons thought the décor was awesome and now want an Onyx-inspired makeover for their bedrooms!

We were scrambling to catch dinner prior to the Bruins game and the front desk gave us wonderful suggestions on where to eat while also being able to see the sites around the hotel. Best part was that the Garden was a VERY short walk from the hotel, so we didn’t need to deal with driving or parking. We had a very early wake-up call and I found my car out front and ready to go at 5:15am (as promised by the front desk) and even at that early hour, the front desk attendant and valet were extremely pleasant. Me? Not so much – its 5:15 for goodness sake! Again, they gave us great suggestions on where to find breakfast and easy directions to get us on our way.

I would highly recommend the Onyx Hotel as its clean, fun and funky - tthe location is great and the staff is even better. Kudos to the Onyx Hotel – and if you are a chain, I can only assume that you’ve bottled the magic of your staff and their attentiveness and have rightfully shared it with your other locations. In the meantime, we are looking forward to another visit in the summer!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DeniseH01
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
WOW, this is great. I am glad we made you feel at home, that's our goal! Hopefully we will become your home away from home when coming to Boston! Also, we are part of Kimpton Hotels, so feel free to check us out in other cool cities!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

The best location for a hotel in Boston, great room and the staff were brilliant, they knew Boston and what and where to go. Lots of local amenities and places to eat that were reasonably priced. make sure you go to finneial markets, its about a ten minute walk for a beer at the other Cheers bar and a great selection of food

Room Tip: Join the loyalty scheme to get a free breakfast and broadband
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ohdear_11
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
I like what you did there..Onyx is a "little gem" very clever play on words :-)! Thanks for the staff shout out. We really focus on creating a memorable experience for our guests with a local flair too it!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

My daughter and I come to Boston often and have stayed other places until we found the Onyx. The staff couldn't be better in every way They make you feel at home every time you walk in the door The rooms are always clean and comfortable and the food and drinks are always top notch. A quick walk to the TD Garden and Fanuiel Hall are just extra perks I have never stayed in a hotel that made me feel more at home

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Dukeking
We love to treat people like they are guests in our home, because that is what you are! Thanks for continuing to come back!