“Only place to stay for TD Garden”
Review of Kimpton Onyx Hotel

Kimpton Onyx Hotel
Ranked #31 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Only place to stay for TD Garden”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I recently took my 10 year old son and a friend to see a Celtics game. I booked the Onyx hotel because of the location and I typically prefer boutique hotels. The price was very competitive. I was a bit nervous about bringing two boys into a boutique hotel, but the staff at the Onyx made me feel right at home immediately. I was greeted with a glass of wine, and the staff brought up two animal print robes for the kids!

Hotel overall is clean, modern, full of amenities, and a staff that understands service. The rooms are small, but you'd expect that for a city-hotel. The beds are comfortable and I believe you have a choice of three types of pillows. The best part was the "raid the mini-bar" coupon you get as a Kimpton member. The boys could snack without me worrying about the bill! In the morning a hot chocolate bar with marshmallows and cinnammon greeted us!

I would not even think about looking for another hotel the next time I visit TD Garden - (it's less than a block from the Bobby Orr statue), or come back as a tourist for any other North End attractions. (Valet parking $45. I was happy to pay it for the convenience).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Teachct
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
The TD Garden is so close, you can hear the floor shake....not really, but you get the idea.

Glad you and the boys had a great time, bet they loved those leopard print robes.

Nothing beats being able to Raid the Mini Bar as an InTouch member right? I love the cashews and take full advantage!

Thanks for the great feedback!

joe.capalbo@onyxhotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Serbian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This hotel was great and the staff very friendly and helpful.

After exploring the city and shopping, simple things like a lemon/lime cold water available for you to help yourself was so appreciated! The Ruby Bar was also a great place to relax with a few cocktails.

The beds were also super comfortable. There is only one tiny thing I'd improve; the bathroom didn't have its own heating, so you had to leave the door fully open or the bathroom would be too cold in the morning. It was -14c outside!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Great feedback, thank you! We aim for relaxing and comfortable and looks like we hit a bullseye here.

Come back and visit!

Detroit, Michigan, United States
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I love boutique hotels, and the Onyx was no exception. Comfortable room. Great staff: John at the front desk printed the color copies I needed for a new business presentation at no additional cost! The bartender was funny and a great ambassador for the city. Plus they had free hot chocolate and desert...and what won me over immediately, it is a dog-friendly hotel, including kibble and water in the lobby for our four-legged friends!! I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Comfortable room, great staff...it's comments like these that make us enjoy our jobs! Thank you for sharing! I am so happy you had a great time with us.

Can't wait to have you back!

Moreno Valley, California, United States
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This season was the fourth time we spent New Year's in Boston, and the third time we stayed at the Onyx. Why? It's an excellent place to stay!

The Onyx is in a great location, close to most of Boston. On one side, an easy walk to Quincy Market, the North End, and the Freedom Trail. On the other side, the TD Bank Garden(aka Boston Garden) is across the street. Also, the hotel is convenient to the subway and transit hubs so you have access to most of the city's attractions. One side note: Because on the "Garden" side there is an abundance of sports bars, that end of the street can get rather noisy. But once you are in the hotel, you can't hear a sound...well except on our last trip when the pop singer Usher was stayng here, and the street was full of fans. But this time, no problem!

When you enter to check in, you are often greeted with a cup of hot chocolate, wine, or cider, depending on the time of day. You will also notice a bowl of dog food on the floor, as this is a dog friendly hotel, they even offer complimentary dog walking! Also on the first floor is a fine restaurant/lounge, small but high class.

We stayed in a standard king room. The room is not as spacious as some hotels, as this is an older hotel. But the room is well layed out, with a flat screen TV, and plenty of outlets for the dozen or so electrical items that are carried about these days. On the bed is a faux mink throw that is so comfortable that my wife demanded that I purchase one from the Kimpton mail order store. For added convenience, there is a large office building across the street, so you can watch the office workers surfing ebay and facebook in their offices instead of working; but I digress.

The bathroom is large, which is convenient. As the room is smaller than usual, many items may be stored in the bathroom. Also, the wash basin is extra large, and there is plenty of counter space for your toiletries and stuff. One minor complaint; there is no fan in the washroom so that certain "sounds" and strong oders tend to be heard/sensed. But again, this is a minor concern in the grand scheme of the Onyx experience.

The staff is very courteous and helpful. They answered our questions and concerns perfectly, be they about directions, event prices, which subway line to take, etc. They even helped me tie my necktie on one occasion! So all in all, this is great place to stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
THANK YOU for continuing to come back. This review had all, a little bit of humor, great feedback and most importantly...a HAPPY GUEST! Hopefully we will see you soon!
finleychmom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The hotel is very clean and well kept. It is located for easy access to many popular sights. We were able to walk every place we needed to go. Many interesting places to eat and hang out. The staff was amazing to us and made the stay great. Will go back many times...

Room Tip: We enjoy beer and found the Boston Beer works and had a blast. Staff knew places to go for almost an...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank finlynchmom
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
And we will strive to be amazing many times too!
Edgartown, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We have stayed at the Onyx before, so when we planned a night at the Celtics game it was a no brainer on where to stay! I love this hotel! The front desk staff was great-"leave your keys we'll take care of the car!" The room as always was clean, and has the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on! We love the Ruby Lounge - great food and a fantastic bartender! Will certainly stay again next time in Boston.
Only regret-- we didn't find out about the wine reception until we got home and some friends mentioned it! We will certainly remember on our next visit!
Thanks for a great time!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Coreen A
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
And we love you too! Next time make sure you make the wine reception, it's one of those "must do's" at a Kimpton Hotel!
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 13, 2013

A three-hour delay on an Amtrak train brought me to Boston and the Onyx Hotel at 3:30 a.m. With a morning meeting to attend, I was really just looking forward to plopping down on the bed and getting as much sleep as possible.

The hotel is close to North Station, which was fairly convenient for where I needed to go. In the wee hours of the morning, there was obviously going to be no one on the streets, so it's tough to tell what the surroundings were like at that time of the day.

It was my first time at a Kimpton property, so I didn't know particularly what to expect. The few hours that I was in the hotel were great. The staff, both night-shift and morning-shift, were friendly, helpful, and courteous. The room was clean and decently-sized. It was a really nice touch to find a bottle of wine and chocolates accompanied by a hand-written note on the nightstand. It certainly made the delayed train and the prospect of little sleep a couple notches better.

What I also found out during this stay was that Kimpton rewards members get $10 to spend in the minibar, which, again, is a nice touch that makes you feel that much more special. Forgive me for being lured by niceties, but it was 3:30 a.m.

Back to the room. The decor was a bit busy and oversized for my taste, but everything seemed fairly new and well-maintained. I did like the bathroom - nice fixtures and white glazed tile walls at the tub. And the water pressure was great, which is always a must-have.

It's too bad I didn't get to spend more time in my room, but the time that I spent there was rejuvenating. I'm really excited to try out more Kimpton properties in other cities.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jwcardinal11
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Hope you weren't too tired for your meeting! Next time we defintely want you with us longer so you can enjoy the Ruby Room and our hosted wine reception each night. Thanks for the great comments though and for choosing Kimpton Hotels!