“Third time staying here, that says it all!”
Review of Kimpton Onyx Hotel

Kimpton Onyx Hotel
Ranked #30 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This season was the fourth time we spent New Year's in Boston, and the third time we stayed at the Onyx. Why? It's an excellent place to stay!

The Onyx is in a great location, close to most of Boston. On one side, an easy walk to Quincy Market, the North End, and the Freedom Trail. On the other side, the TD Bank Garden(aka Boston Garden) is across the street. Also, the hotel is convenient to the subway and transit hubs so you have access to most of the city's attractions. One side note: Because on the "Garden" side there is an abundance of sports bars, that end of the street can get rather noisy. But once you are in the hotel, you can't hear a sound...well except on our last trip when the pop singer Usher was stayng here, and the street was full of fans. But this time, no problem!

When you enter to check in, you are often greeted with a cup of hot chocolate, wine, or cider, depending on the time of day. You will also notice a bowl of dog food on the floor, as this is a dog friendly hotel, they even offer complimentary dog walking! Also on the first floor is a fine restaurant/lounge, small but high class.

We stayed in a standard king room. The room is not as spacious as some hotels, as this is an older hotel. But the room is well layed out, with a flat screen TV, and plenty of outlets for the dozen or so electrical items that are carried about these days. On the bed is a faux mink throw that is so comfortable that my wife demanded that I purchase one from the Kimpton mail order store. For added convenience, there is a large office building across the street, so you can watch the office workers surfing ebay and facebook in their offices instead of working; but I digress.

The bathroom is large, which is convenient. As the room is smaller than usual, many items may be stored in the bathroom. Also, the wash basin is extra large, and there is plenty of counter space for your toiletries and stuff. One minor complaint; there is no fan in the washroom so that certain "sounds" and strong oders tend to be heard/sensed. But again, this is a minor concern in the grand scheme of the Onyx experience.

The staff is very courteous and helpful. They answered our questions and concerns perfectly, be they about directions, event prices, which subway line to take, etc. They even helped me tie my necktie on one occasion! So all in all, this is great place to stay!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

THANK YOU for continuing to come back. This review had all, a little bit of humor, great feedback and most importantly...a HAPPY GUEST! Hopefully we will see you soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,486)

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The hotel is very clean and well kept. It is located for easy access to many popular sights. We were able to walk every place we needed to go. Many interesting places to eat and hang out. The staff was amazing to us and made the stay great. Will go back many times...

Room Tip: We enjoy beer and found the Boston Beer works and had a blast. Staff knew places to go for almost an...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank finlynchmom
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

And we will strive to be amazing many times too!

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We have stayed at the Onyx before, so when we planned a night at the Celtics game it was a no brainer on where to stay! I love this hotel! The front desk staff was great-"leave your keys we'll take care of the car!" The room as always was clean, and has the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on! We love the Ruby Lounge - great food and a fantastic bartender! Will certainly stay again next time in Boston.
Only regret-- we didn't find out about the wine reception until we got home and some friends mentioned it! We will certainly remember on our next visit!
Thanks for a great time!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Coreen A
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

And we love you too! Next time make sure you make the wine reception, it's one of those "must do's" at a Kimpton Hotel!

Reviewed January 13, 2013

A three-hour delay on an Amtrak train brought me to Boston and the Onyx Hotel at 3:30 a.m. With a morning meeting to attend, I was really just looking forward to plopping down on the bed and getting as much sleep as possible.

The hotel is close to North Station, which was fairly convenient for where I needed to go. In the wee hours of the morning, there was obviously going to be no one on the streets, so it's tough to tell what the surroundings were like at that time of the day.

It was my first time at a Kimpton property, so I didn't know particularly what to expect. The few hours that I was in the hotel were great. The staff, both night-shift and morning-shift, were friendly, helpful, and courteous. The room was clean and decently-sized. It was a really nice touch to find a bottle of wine and chocolates accompanied by a hand-written note on the nightstand. It certainly made the delayed train and the prospect of little sleep a couple notches better.

What I also found out during this stay was that Kimpton rewards members get $10 to spend in the minibar, which, again, is a nice touch that makes you feel that much more special. Forgive me for being lured by niceties, but it was 3:30 a.m.

Back to the room. The decor was a bit busy and oversized for my taste, but everything seemed fairly new and well-maintained. I did like the bathroom - nice fixtures and white glazed tile walls at the tub. And the water pressure was great, which is always a must-have.

It's too bad I didn't get to spend more time in my room, but the time that I spent there was rejuvenating. I'm really excited to try out more Kimpton properties in other cities.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jwcardinal11
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Hope you weren't too tired for your meeting! Next time we defintely want you with us longer so you can enjoy the Ruby Room and our hosted wine reception each night. Thanks for the great comments though and for choosing Kimpton Hotels!

Reviewed January 11, 2013

I am a fan of Kimpton hotels, so I staying at the Onyx was a easy choice. Like most Kimpton hotels, it is functional and just a bit quirky. I had put in for an upgrade to a higher floor and my room on the 10th was the quietest hotel room in a long time. I appreciate that they have coffee in the lobby in the morning, though I would prefer a coffee maker in my room. The complimentary wine in the evening is also a plus. My only issue was with the bathroom, there seemed to be no place to hang towels. The young staff was very welcoming and helpful. If your plans include the North End or the Garden, the location is great. You are also only minutes from the Green and Orange Lines of the T.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank bropaul

I will take functional and quirky any day of the week! One quick note, we do have coffee makers (those cook one cup kind) and can have it in the room for you ASAP. Just ask!

Reviewed January 6, 2013

I think I've watched one too many shows on undercover research of hotel rooms! Well, FINALLY!
My hubby and I decided to make a night of it when we got tickets to the Celtics. From the moment we walked in, the reception staff greeted us with wide smiles! Mike checked us in and made sure that I was aware that by using my debit card, a hold would be put on the account. Typical of hotels.
He made some light conversation about the city and us going to the game. Much to my delight, we were offered a glass of wine or spiked cider! We hoped on the elevator and another employee was on it & was so welcoming and friendly.
The room was cozy & decorated in a modern tone. The addition of the comfy animal print robes was a hit! lol.....
As I scoured the room to look for "whatever", I was so happy to see that it was spotless! Everything in the room was impeccable as was the bathroom.
Having recently stayed at the MGM Grande, this was SOOOOOO much nicer!
We topped our night away with room service breakfast. Not really thrilled, the potatoes were well undercooked and the eggs & bacon were just average. The room service staff were top notch! From the woman who answered the phone to the guy who brought up our food. They were both friendly and welcoming & if we needed anything at all, to reach out.
I am so happy that we decided to stay and it definitely will not be our last visit!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Stillcookin
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

You've got to be careful with those undercover hotel shows, some of them aren't always accurate! Thanks for the great review. I appreciate the feedback (glad you liked the robe) and will make sure to look intot he Room Service challenge you had. Thanks again!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Small rooms, dirty, tired carpets. No breakfast included even at $400 a night. It was not my first choice as everything else was booked up in town and it won't be my first choice again next time in Boston. Service was mediocre.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank LoneRngr

This hurts a little bit. All I can say is that we will use it as a learning experience and go from there.

Thanks for taking the time to post a review!