“It's OK”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
“It's OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is small -- only 100 rooms which means rooms are small and one restaurant/ bar w limited food selection and a small gym that had me go 8-9 blocks to a real gym they are affiliated with. Not very convenient.

Location is great hotel is a 5-6 out of 10.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Lawrence B
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Being "OK" is not what we are about...I wish our rooms and and fitness center were a little bigger, but space is at a premium in Boston, so I think we are pretty comparable to other downtown hotels. I do however understand your frustration...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Serbian first
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Our first time in a Kimpton Hotel and we will look for them on future trips. The location was perfect; we spent considerable time in the North End. The staff was amazing. Every staff person we encountered was pleasant and helpful. The T stop was close and the desk staff provided a map and directions. We asked for the location of the nearest place to purchase an umbrella and a front desk staff person pulled two from a closet and handed them to us. When we asked them to provide directions to the bike tour we previously arranged, they provided coupons for the same tour. Coffee waiting in the morning, wine at 5PM. The room was clean and very comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laurie G
WOW! When I read stuff like this, it makes me smile from ear to ear. I know the staff here takes pride in what they do, so it's always nice to see the great praise. THANK YOU!
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

Truly a hotel of trade-offs:
-Amazingly beautiful rooms but in a terrible back alley
-Very big flat screen, every movie costs an arm and a leg
-Really nice bar, rarely open, never busy
-Great treadmills, no weights

It's a good hotel, but man is it ever expensive. At $350 a night I expect more than a shady neighbourhood next to a shady bar, next to a shady club next to a shady Dominos pizza.

Upon first getting to Boston the cab driver had no clue where the hotel was (other cab drivers would have a similar problem). We get there and it is obvious it is a renovated hole in the wall, possibly looking to the future praying for gentrification. The meet and greet wasn't rude, or even unprofessional, but I knew something was off when the receptionist said "Hello and welcome to the Onyx Boston, weareherealladaythebarisopenmondaystofriday3:00to12:00saturdaysandsundays12:00to10:00iyouhaveanyquestions..." The door man was also off sometimes, he looked like he hated his life and was hungover to boot. One night I walked in and the concierge was sleeping LOL! It's like 4 stoners got together with a business idea. It's also just barely walking distance from everything, just close enough to brag that it is walking distance, but not close enough to actually considered walking places.

If this hotel was $250 a night, I would consider it again, but at over $300 no thank you

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank PukTraveller
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
This stings a little bit...who am I kidding, this is terrible. The staffing concerns you mention will be (and in some cases already have been) adressed by me personally. This sort of behavior is NOT ok at the Onyx and I really appreciate you bringing it to my attention.
East Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed at this hotel from September 9-11, 2012. We had just gotten married and had booked a king room through Expedia. Upon arrival, there was no king room available that met our reservation. Do not book hotels through Expedia as they have no guarantee on a room!! After being very upset as this was our honeymoon, the hotel scrambled to find us a perfect room. Although it was very small, they found us a king bed. They moved us to a bigger room the next day. We were so grateful. To apologize, they gave us a bottle of wine. We took a day trip to P-Town and needed a backpack. Upon asking the front desk, one of the employees (Cameron) offered to let us use his as no stores were open. We were so happy!! They made our experience unforgettable. Although the reservation issue was not their problem (it was expedias) they still did everything to make it right.

Room Tip: Do not book through Expedia. The hotel told us that if we find a rate on Expedia, to call the hotel...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
I am so happy you chose to spend your honeymoon with us, that's awesome! CONGRATS on the big occasion! I had heard from Cameron about the backpack, glad you put it to good use! We hope to see you again!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

The Kimpton was great. The room was lovely, the staff was very friendly and helpful. The only downside was the distance the hotel was from almost everything else! Joe the bartender was a superstar. The bar is a nice lively place to have a cocktail when you are on your way out. However it's a bit tight for the breakfast crowd. I love the fact that pets are welcome at the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
I am a big fan of the cocktail on the way out the door, glad Joe at the Ruby Room took great care of you!
Rotherham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

This was the first time me and my boyfriend were holidying together so wanted everything to be perfect and run smoothly.The hotel is only a 10-15 min taxi ride away and all the tourist attractions are only a short walk away,in fact,Fenway Park is only a 25 minute stroll (you'll want to take a slow walk around the commons) with this in mind Onyx Hotel is perfectly situated in Boston.The room prices are very reasonable,and the lady at the check in desk made sure we were on the top floor,as onyx is on a one way street we were expecting to hear a bit of traffic,but for the whole ten days we stopped we heard nothing,every night was peaceful.The rooms were cleaned everyday and the cleaners were all polite,wishing us a good morning/afternoon when we saw them,and the same for all the check in staff.Our flight out wasn't due till 7 in the evening and check out is noon (which I though was very good) with this in mind I asked the check in staff if it was ok to keep hold of our suitcases so we could have a last look around Boston before we had to make it to the airport and they said it was no problem, :D perfect for us to pick up some more souvenirs.All in all our stay at the Onyx was perfect and I couldn't recommend it more highly for anyone wanting to visit Boston.

Room Tip: The higher you stay the quieter it is :)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hard to argue with perfection ;-)! So I will just re-read this review over and over again because it puts a smile on my face every time...
New York, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

We try and stay at a Kimpton whenever we travel, as I think they are exceptional. Spent the weekend in Boston booked the Onyx. Decor, ambiance, and staff were exceptional as always, however I was very disappointed in the room. Paying almost $300/night, room was tiny and cramped, with poor lighting. Even more so in the bathroom, lighting was non existent, no room for personal belongings, and NO EXHAUST FAN........I know it is located in the middle of the city, and space is at a premium, but I can honestly say I will not be returning there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
This one stings a little bit, but as always I appreciate the feedback. We are always looking to improve and this helps us get there, so thank you.