“First time in Boston”

Kimpton Onyx Hotel
Ranked #31 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This was the first time me and my boyfriend were holidying together so wanted everything to be perfect and run smoothly.The hotel is only a 10-15 min taxi ride away and all the tourist attractions are only a short walk away,in fact,Fenway Park is only a 25 minute stroll (you'll want to take a slow walk around the commons) with this in mind Onyx Hotel is perfectly situated in Boston.The room prices are very reasonable,and the lady at the check in desk made sure we were on the top floor,as onyx is on a one way street we were expecting to hear a bit of traffic,but for the whole ten days we stopped we heard nothing,every night was peaceful.The rooms were cleaned everyday and the cleaners were all polite,wishing us a good morning/afternoon when we saw them,and the same for all the check in staff.Our flight out wasn't due till 7 in the evening and check out is noon (which I though was very good) with this in mind I asked the check in staff if it was ok to keep hold of our suitcases so we could have a last look around Boston before we had to make it to the airport and they said it was no problem, :D perfect for us to pick up some more souvenirs.All in all our stay at the Onyx was perfect and I couldn't recommend it more highly for anyone wanting to visit Boston.

Room Tip: The higher you stay the quieter it is :)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Hard to argue with perfection ;-)! So I will just re-read this review over and over again because it puts a smile on my face every time...

Reviewed October 2, 2012

We try and stay at a Kimpton whenever we travel, as I think they are exceptional. Spent the weekend in Boston booked the Onyx. Decor, ambiance, and staff were exceptional as always, however I was very disappointed in the room. Paying almost $300/night, room was tiny and cramped, with poor lighting. Even more so in the bathroom, lighting was non existent, no room for personal belongings, and NO EXHAUST FAN........I know it is located in the middle of the city, and space is at a premium, but I can honestly say I will not be returning there.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

This one stings a little bit, but as always I appreciate the feedback. We are always looking to improve and this helps us get there, so thank you.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Just like every Kimpton I've stayed customer service is the best. Special thanks to Paulos in the front who pulled my car from the garage so I didn't get hot for an extra charge. Zowie and Patrick at the desk who did the best they could do tracking down a wine bar that's open for lunch.
Room was great small but well designed and makes a good use of the space. Everything was super clean...sheets soft by hotel stardards.
This one is smaller than other lomptons we've stayed at but it was still very nice. Lobby not as impressive as some but hey, you're not sleeping in the lobby.
Also, thanks for the comp 1/2 bottle of wine. I'm not all that important as I usually travel for pleasure, but if that's a perk for being a FREE untouched member than good for me!

• Stayed: September 2012
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

We prefer "InTouch" members not "untouched" members, but we get your point :) Nothing makes us happier than giving a little surpise to our most loyal "lompton", I mean, Kimpton guests!

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Been coming to the Onyx for several years and the staff is why I keep coming back. Had an issue with parking and John and his team made a bad situtation great. Kimpton has great hotels but the key is the staffing! Thank you John and the entire staff at the Onyx for another great stay!

Room Tip: Small hotel so book early
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

We can teach people how to check you in, but we can't teach them to be nice and John is one of the nicest people we've got! Thanks for giving him the shout out!

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Having an event to attend to at the TD Garden and an early flight out of Logan the next morning, this was a great location. The hotel is tucked away on a side street but the staff was pleasant and the room comfy. The area lacks some of the life you'd get at other Bosotn hotels, but for where I was going, it was perfect.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

"It's a Kimpton, so you know what you are getting"....awesome!

Reviewed September 15, 2012

I spent a week in Boston and stayed at the Onyx because of its location. It was only blocks from where I needed to be on my business trip. I have to say that from now on it will be my Boston Hotel of choice! I was greeted by the most pleasant young lady I have ever met (thank you Zoe) and was assisted throughout the week by a staff that is top notch (thank you John). I was left asking myself: Where do they find these people?

The hotel itself is two blocks from the JFK building in one direction and The Garden in the other. It is just a 4 minute walk to the Fanueil Hall market area. The location is perfect.

What can I say about the room? It is exactly what I would expect at a Kimpton Hotel. Eccelectic yet classy and extremely comfortable. I opted for feather pillows and had no fewer than five on my king-sized bed. The room was well appointed and was kept immaculately clean by the staff. The lounge chair was very nice and I spent a little time next to the window reading. I also appreciated the complimentary wine bar every day at 5. What a great bonus! There are plenty of restaurants nearby, so the biggest worry for dinner was "which one do we pick?"

No more Hilton or Marriott for me ... this is my fourth stay in a Kimpton hotel (in four different cities) and I am absolutely hooked.

You will not be disappointed with your stay at The Onyx!

Room Tip: I was on the 10th floor (the top floor) and was well above most the street noise.
3  Thank SurfinGators
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

WOW! I am blown away by this. Thank you for staying with us and your continued loyalty. It's guests like you that make us love what we do.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

The staff at the Onyx Hotel were very accommodating, friendly, and welcoming. We were able to check in 3 hours early, they furnished our room with lots of things we may have forgotten and of course the free wine night was excellent. Free Wi-fi at a hotel, not usually the case, was a great added bonus. Rooms were small but clean and well kept.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jeff B
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Everyone loves a little free wine reception and free Wifi! Available at all of our hotels, but for the WiFi make sure you sign up for our guest loyalty program!