“The Onyx In Boston is an EXCELLENT HOTEL”
Review of Kimpton Onyx Hotel

Kimpton Onyx Hotel
Ranked #31 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Newjersey
“The Onyx In Boston is an EXCELLENT HOTEL”
Reviewed February 22, 2012

I come here anytime I go to a bruins game as the hotel is basically accross the street and just 2 short blocks from the t line. Lauren Weir who emailed me before my arrival was very nice and went out of her way to make me feel welcome. IN fact I mentioned to her how much I enjoy diet coke and she sent some up to my room no charge which was appreciated and came out of the blue. This hotel cares about their guests as I have stayed there often over the past few years since i discovered it online.

Room Tip: Look for deals right from the kimpton hotels own web site as they often have deals.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
THANK YOU for your loyalty to Kimpton! We can't wait to welcome you back at the Onyx or any one of our hotels.

Joe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Serbian first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I am a fan of the Kimpton hotels, and Onyx is no exception. Their service is impeccable. I received an email before my trip asking if I needed anything to make the stay better and if I was celebrating something. It was my birthday, so I let them know. When me and my boyfriend arrived, there was a bucket with beer (6 bottles!) on ice and pretzels (they asked me beforehand what was my favorite drink and snack). It was a really pleasant surprise. I was expecting maybe a bottle of a nice brew and a tiny pack of something, after all we were staying for a weekend only! This was a really nice touch.

Staff is very knowledgeable about the area and attractions, and are able to instruct you on places to eat and go out around the hotel.
It's location is amazing, only three blocks from a subway station, and a short walk (five minutes, if so) from Quincy Market, the wharf and all the attractions there. Also not far for Boston Common. We did most of our sightseeing walking, and the Freedom trail passes a few blocks from the hotel, which allowed us to stop by in the middle of it and relax a bit before continuing!

Room was wonderful, and very reasonably-sized, with a king-size bed and a bathroom that was much bigger than what I usually see. Everything was spotless and the fact that they can provide you with any toiletries that you may forget is also a plus.
Also, you get free internet, and if you're a Kimpton hotel member (it's free), you get $10 for the minibar.
I have no complaint whatsoever. Well, perhaps that I wish Kimpton would expand outside the US!

It's not the cheapest, but it's certainly the best you get in this price range.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
I am thrilled we could help make your birthday even better!! We really try to make our guests feel at home, so I am glad that we were able to do that with you. I agree with you, we need hotels outside the U.S....hopefully someday soon (and warm!)!

Maine
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Great location beside the Garden, two blocks from North Station T-stop and a five minute walk to Faneuil Hall, North End, or Beacon Hill area. Beds are comfortable with lots of pillows. Lots of extra touches to make it a great stay- free wine hour, robes, free internet with kimpton loyalty program- all added to the experience. We booked the Onyx because of a deal on their website. If you can get this hotel for a good rate, it is definitely worth it! Parking is too expensive, but if you can find a cheap place to park outside the city and take the T or train into North Station, you will save some money. Rooms are a bit smaller, but comfortable, and if you are visiting Boston you probably won't spend much time in your room. The only complaint I'd have is that it can be a little noisy- on a Saturday night around 2am we could hear a few people yelling in the street outside the bars, and you can hear vehicles going by sometimes. Staff is very attentive and friendly. Great place to stay- will be back!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MaineTraveler24
Great review, I appreciate it! I am glad you found our hotel to be of great value and that the staff was able to take care of all of your needs. Additionally, I am sorry that the "urban rythyms" of the local neighborhood made their way into your room. Please reach out to me directly prior to your next visit and I will arrange for the quietest room for you.

West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Came to town for a conference and stayed for first time at the Onyx. Desk staff were great - enthusiastic and accommodating. Rooms were eclectic and bright. Freebies of being a Kimpton frequent user were great. Not sure about the leopard print bathrobe but quirky is part of the charm :)

Room Tip: Higher floor might avoid street noise as it is near the Garden.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Believe it or not those leopard print robes are pretty popular. I can't tell you how many times we've had guests show up in the lobby with them. You are right, they are quirky but that's makes us fun!

Thanks for the great review!

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Booked for a one night stay to take in a Bruins game in Boston. Location couldn't be more convenient to the Garden. Hotel is older but very quaint and cozy. Rooms are on the smaller side but perfect for our purposes.
Only complaint was that they didn't have free internet access. In this day and age a must! Come on Kimpton- time to modernize! Free internet would lead to a 5 star review!

1 Thank Teacker
If we were any closer to the Garden, we'd probably distrupt practice! Thank you for the great feedback! One note about the internet access, it is great benefit of our guest loyalty program Kimpton InTouch. There is no cost to join and you get free internet (along with some other cool benefits too!)

We hope to have you back soon!

Australia
Reviewed February 17, 2012

First time in Boston and a very warm welcome from the front desk staff (one Lauren, before we met the other the next morning!). Small room but nice decor etc, including very comfy bed. Evening wine hour is always nice, and staff gave some good recommendations on getting around. We discovered how small Boston is and were able to walk around easily. Nice pub next door too.

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BessAust
I'm glad what were able to help make your first trip to Boston enjoyable, hopefully it won't be your last! Walking in Boston is definitely the way to go, but next time you may want to think about biking too (just don't drive here!)

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 13, 2012

All the amenities I needed were there, the bed was super, the desk staff very friendly (and I overheard them giving very solid restaurant recommendations to another guest), the location is great (especially if going to the Garden), the subway is nearby, the decor was fine, BUT the bed, desk, etc. was crammed in to way too little space. It cost too much money to stay in what felt like a large closet. Perhaps other rooms in the same category are bigger; I wish I had checked as soon as I saw our room.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
I love all guest feedback, the good and the bad. So let's start with the "good"....amenities, bed and staff were top notch, so thank you for sharing that! Your "bad" was the size the room and I completely understand. Although we physically can't increase the size of our rooms, we can take a look to make sure that the items we have in the rooms are placed in a way that is not "crammed in." I promise to add this to my "to do" list!