“List every positive adjective in the dictionary here!!!”
Review of Kimpton Onyx Hotel

Kimpton Onyx Hotel
Ranked #31 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 30, 2011

This hotel is beyond fantastic!! I mean, the service is out of this world and the staff are absolutely amazing. My partner and I were checked in by Lauren S., a face we saw throughout our trip. She was beyond helpful and pleasant to deal with. Every time we came back from a day out she welcomed us and encouraged us to tell her about our day and what we did. We also had the pleasure of being assisted by Lauren W. who had some nice little treats waiting for us in our room for our anniversary.

They both even worked very hard together one night to try and find us a lesbian club to attend. They looked even when we had given up and called us in the room and their suggestion ended up working out really well and my partner and I had a blast! The two of them are like a dynamic duo that can not be stopped and even showed me a few things to teach my own front desk staff.

The breath-taking service didn't stop there. Paolos, the valet and Jordan, the bartender in the Ruby Room were great! They always made sure we okay before they left us to tend to other guests. Speaking of the Ruby Room, the food is very good. Every guest should certainly try it at least once. The atmosphere and colors were very vibrant and yet calming all at the same time. The pizzas were tastey and my partner LOVED the warm goat cheese and honey.

And I have to make a special thank you to Mitchell who further convinced us (after Lauren S.) to go to Wally's Jazz Club. That was the perfect cap to our already perfect trip. All hotel perosnnel could learn a lot from the Onyx as I have. It was an amazing experience that my partner and I will relive every time we are in Boston.

Thank you so much for all of your hard work!

Room Tip: Sorry, I graded the pool option but they do not have a pool onsite! The rooms look exactly like the...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2011

HospBot39,

We LOVE being a perfect cap to a perfect trip. I am thrilled that you and your partner had a nice stay and even more thrilled that the staff took such great care of you. I will make sure to recognize Lauren, Lauren, Paulos, Jordan and Mitchell at our next employee meeting for their efforts, thank you for the high praise.

Please let us know if we can assist with anything at all in the future!

Reviewed November 24, 2011

I booked our room through the Internet and put in a note stating that it was my 4 year anniversary. My husband and I arrived and were informed that we were upgraded to the penthouse room. That would have been more than enough for us, however we opened the door to our room and disscovered that it had been decorated with rose petals EVERYWHERE, chocolate covered strawberries, and a bottle of champagne!!!

The Onyx has clearly done their job in hiring the best staff in Boston. Everybody is knowledgable, helpful and extremely kind.

We didn't think it could get much better until we decided to order room service at 1am. After a very short wait, our meal arrived and we were told it was "on the house!!!". Really, WHAT HOTEL DOES THAT??? Oh, and by the way, the meal was fantastic!

If you want to be treated like royalty stay at the Onyx!

• Stayed: November 2011
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2011

Dsp1974,

WOW! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I am so happy you had a great time at the Onyx and that the staff took great care of you for your anniversary. I hope we can make it a yearly event at the Onyx! Happy Anniversary and if you need anything, please give me a call!

Reviewed November 21, 2011

We stayed at the Onyx primarily due to its super-convenient location one block from TD Garden. After experiencing the warm hospitality, the comfortable beds, and the surrounding neighborhood, we will be back! We were greeted warmly every time we entered the hotel. The staff was quick to suggest things to make us more comfortable, such as an umbrella if it looked like rain. We were on the penthouse floor and our room was a good size and it was very quiet. It was a quick walk to the North End and convenient to public transportation. The Wi-fi was the best we have encountered in a hotel anywhere---as good as our home wi-fi. This was our first stay in a Kimpton and we will return!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2011

Ala51,

Thanks for the great review! I love it when our guests leave here with the feeling that the staff took care of there every need, so thank you for that feedback! WIFI is very important to me too, so we always make sure we have the fastest connection possible. We look forward to having you back with us here at the Onyx or another Kimpton property soon!

Thanks,

Reviewed November 20, 2011

My friend and I stayed at the Onyx for 1 night in November and cannot say enough about the property. We were able to check in early as we had reservations for an event at 3pm .
Lauren, at the front desk, was so accommodating and helpful through out our stay. She is a great example of how customers should be treated. The Onynx provides personalized, friendly service that I do not usually find at other hotels.
The room was great, beds comfortable, and immaculate clean.
The location is great if you want to explore the city on foot. The complimentary coffee in morning is a great "perk".
This is the second Kimpton Hotel I have stayed at and will definitely consider them again when making any travel plans.

Room Tip: We were in room 604 and did not hear any street noise.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2011

Dear casey99,

It's guests like you that make me love my job. I am so happy you had a great time at the hotel and THANK YOU for everything you said about the staff (especially Lauren!) and property. We rely heavily on guest feedback, so it's always nice to read the positive reviews. If I can help in any way with future reservations, please give me a call.

Thanks!

Reviewed November 18, 2011

Went to see the Foo Fighters in Boston this week - and found the Onyx to be the perfect hotel for us. It was intimate - very classy, and warm. The employees all treated us like gold, and the accommodations were VERY nice. Clean rooms, comfortable beds - and the place is pretty cute! (Also, I work for an elevator company...and the elevators were in fine working order). They offered free coffee in the morning, strawberry ice water throughout - and even a complimentary happy hour; all this just a short 2-3 minute walk from the "Boston Garden". Don't really know what else to say. We did plan ahead and stayed in the penthouse (for a very reasonable rate)...and it was super secure and very quiet! Kudos.

Room Tip: The penthouse was fabulous...this is not like a penthouse at the Park Plaza in NYC that costs $1,00...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Matthew R,

Thanks for the a wonderful review! We strive for a warm/genuine atmosphere for our guests, so I am glad that you got to experience that. I hope you will come back and visit the next time you find yourself staying in Boston or attending a game/concert at the Garden!

Thanks!

Reviewed November 14, 2011

The Onyx Hotel in Boston is in a great location--a seemingly nondescript block, but very easy access to Government Center, TD Garden and a great stroll to the North End. It's a great hotel for tourists and business travelers alike.

Onyx Hotel staff is friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the neighborhood and the city. Clearly a lot of thought has gone into communicating amenities to guests and ensuring one has a positive experience. Rooms are clean, decorated in a hip, urban style that suits the brand and the location. It can be noisy, especially on a game night, but that's a trade off you should expect booking a room in this part of town.

Be sure to join Kimpton's InTouch Guest Loyalty program for free WiFi, a Raid the Bar card and other amenities--although beware that if you book through some websites and not directly with Kimpton, you will not earn points for your stay--but you will still get special treatment!

Room Tip: Join Kimpton InTouch and store your room preferences.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

Dear FourDayTraveler,

Thank you for taking the time share your Onyx experience here on Tripadvisor. I am so happy your experience was a positive one and that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful. If I can be of any assistance at all, please let me know.

Thanks,

Reviewed November 14, 2011

I recently stayed at the Onyx on a quick business trip to Boston. The hotel is in a great central location - adjacent to the Arena and close to many restaurants and bars. After dinner off-site we grabbed a drink at the hotel bar and there were many Hockey fans that were in town for that night's game. Rooms were well outfitted with great linens and mini bar was well stocked with good snack options. The only downside to the stay were the hotel guests that decided to yell in the hallway at 3am. Other than that, I would fully recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Boston.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2011

Dear WhereamInow09,

Thanks for the great review. We are so close to the Garden that all the locals come to the Ruby Room or another bar right by the hotel before any game. It makes for a great atmosphere. Thanks for the recommendation for anyone staying in Boston, I appreciate it!

We hope to see you back soon!