“Fantastic staff, great hotel!”
Review of Kimpton Onyx Hotel

Kimpton Onyx Hotel
Ranked #29 of 85 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 29, 2011

We stayed in this hotel as we wanted to be close to the centre of Boston, and everything really is just a short walk (Faneuil) or a quick T-ride (Harvard) or taxi away.

The hotel is stylishly comfy in the manner of other Kimpton properties we have stayed at.
Our double queen room was a little on the small side for a family of four with luggage in accordance for a 3 week trip all over the USA, but it was very comfortable nonetheless, particularly the beds, which were heavenly.

If I had to find something negative about the room, it would maybe be that some corners were quite dusty, which is understandable in a room full of furniture ( housekeeping must have trouble moving around with the vaccuum cleaner, I know I would), but not something for 'clean freaks'. Please understand that I am saying 'dusty', and not dirty, as the room was perfectly clean otherwise.

To get back to the positives, the staff in this hotel are absolutely fantastic ! Our check-in experience was a delight, were always greeted cheerily when entering or leaving the hotel, and when we got caught in a pre-Irene deluge just before we were due to leave for the airport, all of the staff at the front desk stepped in to literally save our sodden souls from what would have been a very cold, miserable & drenched trip to the airport.

They gave us a place to change, plenty of towels, a hair drier and even a bag of sweets for our 7 year-old to cheer her up. We have found Kimpton staff to be very good in the past, but this was just wonderful. Thank you all once again for your friendly professionalism, it is much appreciated, and what makes your hotel stand out.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
obriggs, Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2011

Dear Fraire,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I'm glad you felt comfortable at our hotel and I'm so thankful that our staff took great care of you during Hurricane Irene. Come back and see us again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,474)

Reviewed August 28, 2011

The customer service was incredible. Although the 10-20 minute walk to areas of interest got a little tiresome, the staff at this hotel was so kind, considerate and helpful. I was asked about my stay by different staff members in different departments at least 5 times a day. The employees there created a "home away from home" feeling. Any and every request or concern was addressed immediately. If someone even sensed that you may need some help, an employee was right there with a smiling face. We traveled with handicap elderly, and small children and the staff was absolutely wonderful offering assistance and accommodating our needs. This hotel is more animal friendly than any hotel I've visited, but still clean. A+ for great service

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2011

My sister and I stayed here the first week of August. The hotel is a short stroll from Faneuil hall and other Boston attractions. I was a little worried about the location from other posts but it was absolutely fine and we felt perfectly safe. The hotel was lovely. It was spotlessly clean and quiet. A huge shout out to Lauren on the front desk who was amazing. She was one of the bubbliest people I’ve ever met! Nothing was too much trouble and she kindly organised a trip to Wrentham Village with a pick up and drop off outside the front door. Very handy. The other staff were excellent too. The bedrooms are lovely with nice big soft beds. The bathroom toileties were nice.
They served complimentary coffee in the morning and iced water during the day in the lobby and this was a great touch. We loved it and will definitely be back. Thanks Onyx!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Charliebrees
obriggs, Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2011

Dear Charliebrees,

Thank you for your glowing review! We really appreciate your feedback. I'm so happy you felt safe at our hotel and surrounding areas, and that you enjoyed the company of our fantastic staff! We can't wait for you to come back :)

Reviewed August 20, 2011

We booked the hotel through a famous portal because it had the best prices for its category in the city. We were really pleased by this confortable business hotel: rooms are big and very clean, staff is very kind and helped us with anything we needed (flight booking, checkin, etc), location is just 5' walk from the nearest T station and 10' from the most central locations.
Breakfast wasn't included in our rate, but we were offered with a complimentary continental breakfast anyway.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Me and my husband stayed in the Onyx for a few nights after getting a good deal on it through Hotwire. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed with the location, was hoping for a hotel closer to Feneuil Hall and the downtown area - but having said that the location is far from terrible and it's a short walk to the aforementioned area as well as to Beaconhill and over it into the Boston Common and Newburry Street. The hotel delivers as promised. This is a small boutique hotel, the reception area is small but nicely decorated and next to it is the Ruby room (which we did not try, neither for breakfast or anything else). All the staff we interacted with were very friendly and willing to help us with anything we needed (storage, restaurant tips, taxi etc.). The room itself was not the biggest one I've stayed in, but despite a few suitcases and shopping we never felt it was too small. The bathroom was fine with a great powerful and hot shower. I also liked the shampoo and conditioner bottles that were mounted to the showerwall, far more environmentally friendly than all the small bottles you usually get. The only thing I can complain about in the bathroom is that it would have been good to have more shelfing space in it.
The hotel is pet friendly...not sure I would have booked it knowing that (those of you who know Hotwire know that you don't get the name of the hotel until after booking and paying for it). Not that I have anything against pets in general, have a very furry cat myself, but I didn't necessarily cherish the thought of a furry carpet in my room.... and I didn't have to as the carpets were just as clean as in any other hotel, no smells or doggy hairs...But you can request a pet free room according to the hotel website if you are not convinced!
Overall we were happy with our stay at the Onyx and ended up exploring more of the North area and Feneuil Hall area than we have on previous visits.
P.S. the wine reception is a very nice touch!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Spent a long weekend at the Onyx - quick get away for my wife and I. We booked a Penthouse room - very comfy. The staff was super - from arrival thru departure. Knew our names and room number. Always had great recommendations. Good fun people. The valet Paulos was super!! Lauren, John and Michael at the front desk were great too. Fun and very helpful. They definitely make the hotel special. We were treated royally. The location was perfect for walking to the North Side, Boston Common, Quincy Market and the water front, Aquarium, museums, and is right around the corner from the Boston Garden. Definitely wonder the Little Itally for dinner and check out the street festivals. Fun and great food.

Room Tip: Sign up with the Kimpton membership program before you go and give your member number at check in fo...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I stayed at the Onyx this past weekend and felt like a King. Boston is literally at your fingertips from this location, and I would know becuase I am from the area. I attended a cruise of the harbor before going out around the town. Out of the ten plus years I have been going out in Boston that night had to be in the top five expereinces. The Onyx staff was very friendly and helped me with whatever I needed in a timley manner. I've stayed at other hotels in Boston and none of them come close to the style and decour of the Onyx. The Onyx is everything you expext in a hotel and more. The gold fish throughout the hotel is a such a nice touch that leaves you feeling like a rockstar.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends

Dear JPieper66,

I sincerely appreciate your kind words! Its so great to hear that our location and amenities were what you were looking for and I'm glad our friendly employees treated you so well! Come back and see us again soon!