“A Perfect 10”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Berlin, Connecticut
“A Perfect 10”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

What a find! I just returned from a girls getaway in Boston and loved our stay at the Onyx hotel. The hotel was a great home base for venturing out and walking to many of the great sights in Boston. The rooms were really clean and comfortable and amazingly quiet for a great nights sleep! All of the staff was incredibly helpful and pleasant making great suggestions for restaurants and fun things to do. We also had very prompt valet and cab service. The entire stay was wonderful and I would highly recommend a stay at this hip and comfortable hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Serbian first
Kingston, RI
Reviewed August 11, 2011

This was by far the very best hotel I have stayed in! The service was outstanding....extremely accommodating and helpful in every way. The guys at the front desk were professional and adorable in every way! The location is so convenient and accessible to great restaurants and attractions! 5 stars!

1 Thank Jody C
obriggs, Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
Dear J0dyC,

Your review brought a huge smile to my face. It is so wonderful that you felt we were the best hotel you've stayed at! I hope we can continue to impress you with our level of service and amenities and we hope you will stay with us again soon :)
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Stayed at Onyx for an evening in August, it is centrally located and within walking distance to Quincy Market, Union Oyster House, Faneuil Hall (all roughly a 5-10 minute walk). Rooms were clean, beds were firm and comfortable, staying in a DElux King bed room on the 4th Floor(402). Room was a bit cramped but didnt bother us as we were using the room to simply sleep. Bathroom was nice and spacious. There is no view except of neighboring rooms through your window. I am not sure I would have paid the full asking price for this hotel given the option (booked this through Sneaqaway) but all in all a positive experiance. Would reccomend if you are spending the day/night in Boston.

Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I don't understand how people can knock this hotel even the least bit. You get:

- Free WiFi (it actually worked, and wasn't slow!)
- Programmable A/C unit that actually works
- Flat panel TV
- Nice sized desk
- Great decor (especially compared to other hotels)
- iHome radio/iPod/iPhone player
- Leopard print robes
- Pet friendly
- Quiet (even with our room right next to the ice machine)
- Decent view (from our room which faced the street)
- In center city
- North station subway just a block away
- Great, helpful staff

We loved our stay here. The room was so comfortable I was actually happy and partially excited to head back at night and just relax. I think we paid $15 for a week subway/bus pass and used it to go everywhere. If you arrived via air, take the shuttle from the airport to the airport station on the blue line. Then you can transfer to the orange line at State and take the orange line to North Station. It's two small blocks and around the corner of Portland Street is the hotel. Check out mbta.com.

I suppose some might say the room is a bit small but neither of us noticed/mentioned it. Very clean. Another con is the parking since the hotel charges $42 a night I believe. We parked at the Government Center Parking Garage which you can literally see when standing outside the hotel on Portland street. It was about a block and a half away and parking was $10 a weekend night and $35 for a full week day. We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel but rather went out for brunch or picked up something cheap at Dunkin Donuts. You can't walk a block in Boston without seeing a DD. Starbucks are a bit scarce.

I remember thinking one night before I fell asleep that the A/C unit is a bit loud but was surprised it didn't bother me during the previous nights. It's not annoyingly loud or high pitched and didn't bother me even after noticing the noise. It only kicks on for very short periods of time anyway. My girlfriend is a super light sleeper and didn't notice the A/C until I mentioned it either. She wakes up even if she hears the cat walking on the carpet at home and thought it kind of odd the A/C didn't bother her either but no complaints!

Great location to take the subway just down to Faneuil Hall or out to Cambridge or Back Bay/South End or anywhere really. The area around the hotel felt perfectly safe even walking back late at night. We will definitely stay here again when we come back to Boston. Four days and we still didn't get to experience even half of Boston!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Nice size room with comfortable bed. The problem seems to be with "back office". I stayed for two nights and it seemed everytime I was in the lobby or at the (small) front desk one of the three people crammed behind the desk was solving a billing complaint--making me worry and also causing long delays at the desk. In addition, right after checking in @ 6 pm a male staff member came to my room to check to make sure my honor bar was complete--it wasn't. A little uncomfortable for a female solo traveler. After all that, they charged me $31 for a bottle of wine I didn't drink from the honor bar. If you can't manage it stop offering it! Was also asked for a job by a bellman after seeing who I worked for on a fax they sent for me...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Stockport
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Stayed 3 nights here for some sightseeing around Boston. Comfortable room, friendly front-desk service at a good rate for a near city centre hotel. It is around 15mins walk from Quincy Market and the North End and close to two MTA stations for trips to Cambridge/Harvard and further into the city centre.
Would definitely stay again on a future visit to Boston.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Ramborao
montreal,canada
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Spent 2 nights at the Onyx Hotel in July, and upon arrival you felt like you were at home.The staff always friendly and ready to help you in any way.The room we got was very clean, the washroom was spotless.The bedsheets were fresh and crisp.The room also has a safe which I find very pratical. Location is good, within walking distance to Fanueil Hall and the North End (LITTLE ITALY), and close to a T-stop.One block away from the TD GARDENS.

The complementary wine hour at the Kimpton Hotels is always a treat.

Would recomend the Onyx to anyone looking for a great staffed hotel in Boston.

Room Tip: Join the Kimpton In Touch program which is free and get a $10 credit to be used from the mini-bar an...