“Rude People”

Ranked #11 of 38 Boston B&B and Inns
Sydney
“Rude People”
Reviewed December 6, 2006

This hotel is a big house rather than a hotel. When I arrived I asked a couple of questions to the girl with the long dark hair and it was such an effort for her to be polite to me.

I got to my room and I had a single bed and the room had rackety furniture, but the bed was comfortable. The Club uses the 1st floor function rooms for parties and 3 out of the 5 nights I stayed there were functions. 2 of the 3 were big parties. This would be ok, but there is no blocking off the noise and the walls are very thin. The guy who runs the place is rude. When I complained about the noise (and I love a party, but if I knew there were functions held everynight just below my floor I never would have booked the place), Don said he would send me to another hotel and from then on he was rude and arrogant. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HORRIBLE PLACE WITH THE HORRIBLE MAN.

Also, my room did not include private bath and the bathroom was at the other end of the floor AND the shower went stone cold when someone else put a tap on. The breakfast was toast or cereal.

Go somewhere else! You have been warned.

The only good thing I can say is that the location is excellent.

I am now staying in another city for similar price with lovely friendly staff so I can now compare and realise what a raw deal I had at the College Club.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Don
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't go there
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Rebel_Explorer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Korean first
Pacific NW, USA
Reviewed September 29, 2006

You can't ask for a better location or neighborhood: in a block of classic brownstones down from the Ritz Carlton Hotel and the well-kept pretty Boston Botanical Gardens, and around the corner from a fun and fashionable shopping and dining street. This accommodation is also close to the subway, and walking distance to many great and historic places. It is charming and convenient.

You also can't ask for a better front desk staff, at least while I was there. The regular person was on holiday, but the two men, Donald and the man who is usually the chef, were exceptionally helpful and informative. The free local phone calls and continental breakfast helped to keep my costs down. The breakfast room was also a decent space to read the newspaper, chat with other guests, have a late afternoon cup of tea or use the TV. It would be great if they added a computer for guest use.

However, some of the rooms are a great value, but some are not.

I stayed in three different rooms due to extending my stay and availability. The first was good value with the exception of noise from the alley. A couple of earplugs solved that issue. The European style bath down the hallway was not my first choice, but I never had to wait, even to use just the toilet. The bedroom, while cozy, was clean and nicely furnished with period furniture. I had just what I needed but no more.

The larger room, the next night, was a splendid surprise. It was huge and well-appointed, very nicely decorated, and had a large restroom. The marble fireplace was a nice centerpiece and there were two different sitting areas. I also appreciated the large number of lamps for reading in any part of the room. Little touches like a magazine file, wine glasses, and an ice bucket made it feel more like a hotel or BnB than the other room.

But my last night was back in a single room, which was not nearly as nice as the first single room. It had not been redecorated and refurbished. Also, the mattress did not fit in the bed frame and slipped to an angle in the middle of the night, which was quite disconcerting and uncomfortable. I would not have extended my stay if this had been my room for the first night.

I recommend you splurge for the larger rooms if possible. They are an excellent value for a major city like Boston and you will feel like you've had a more authentic experience than in a cookie cutter hotel. I would stay in a single room again only if I confirmed that it was one of the recently renovated rooms.

• Stayed August 2006
13 Thank Solo-Sojourner
Birmingham, England
Reviewed August 20, 2006

I have just spent six days in Boston at The College Club. I found this place to be amazing. It is not a contemporay accomodation and does not have TV's in bedrooms etc. But if you are after a clean, well presented and well thought out place to stay that does not cost you a fortune this is the pace to stay.
I was travelling alone and found that it was in a safe area within walking distance of all parts of Boston. Donald who appears to work at the guest inn 24/7 was great for advice and information. The College Club is furnished with antique furniture which adds character to the quite imposing Brownstone. All in all an excellent place to stay - I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
3 Thank elqueeno
California
Reviewed December 6, 2005

When another guest checked in and labored up the stairs at the College Club (which can be an ordeal given height between floors in this once-grand establishment), she joked about how the broken elevator gave this hotel a true "European" feel.

Well, the elevator stayed broken for a couple of days instead of the "couple of hours" we were warned to expect, which was a bit of a nuisance. But that wasn't a deal-breaker. Neither was finding the modest Continental breakfast shut down ahead of schedule our first morning. Nor was the noise from the alley, heard through the single-pane window on our room. But these things, combined with a little deferred maintenance here and there (our fourth-floor room was not as well-maintained as the hotel's lobby and conference areas, which were nicer) added up to an experience that didn't quite meet expectations.

On the "plus" side, the College Club does have architectural charm. And its location a couple hundred yards from the Public Gardens, in the Back Bay is a real plus. The Gardens, Boston Common, Beacon Hill and plenty of restaurants and shopping were a 5-10 minute walk away. And when you're within walking distance of a "T" (subway) station in Boston, as is the College Club, then virtually all of the Boston/Cambridge area becomes accessible without a car, which is a great thing.

Our room was spacious. And prices at the College Club are reasonable for Boston lodging.

So there's a lot to recommend it, especially to those partial to old architecture and old buildings. But those expecting modern amenities may be disappointed. If I were to visit the College Club again (and it is not out of the question) I would inquire about a room fronting Commonwealth Avenue instead of the back alley, and I would ask if some rooms are better kept-up than the one I stayed in this year.

• Stayed October 2005
18 Thank SteveNearSacramento
Reviewed May 30, 2005

Quiet hotel with a great location in the Back Bay neighborhood. I came to town for one night for an interview and it was the perfect location witha reasonable price. My room was huge with great character. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Will stay again!

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 15, 2004

This place looks nice, even when you get there, but a closer look will say more. I was there mid-Sept and the floor was unswept under my bed, shower in not-so-great shape (ragged setup), no plug for the sink, bed that continously squeeks, paper garbage in the drawers of the desks, and loud traffic outside. There was also a door from my room to the next adjoining room which was not locked (they could have just walked in ...). The staff does make some effort to replace the sheets, clean in most areas, and do their "work" but there is a great need to increase the daily workload in this place and to make some very important repairs and upgrades (maybe raise prices / change management). And no, their wireless Internet does not work well throughout the building as it is very weak and drops out continuously unless you are in the main floor dining area - not for business travellers. Good for vacationers who need a cheap, clean, safe place.

• Stayed September 2004, traveled on business
19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 9, 2004

This is a very nice B&B with a great location near downtown Boston. It could use a little updating, but the decor is otherwise amazing. They keep along with the feel of the early 1900's with antique furniture, and polished silver. The staff is very friendly and made my stay very enjoyable. The rates are very reasonable for what you get too!

• Stayed January 2005