“Perfect room but poor parking situation” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The College Club of Boston

The College Club of Boston
Ranked #9 of 39 Boston B&B and Inns
Prestbury, United Kingdom
“Perfect room but poor parking situation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Positives:

- The room was absolutely spectacular. We loved the room that we were assigned. High ceilings, plenty of space, great decor. Historic photographs, views of the skyline. It was just awesome.
- Nice locations near the Public Gardens and walkable to restaurants and attractions
- The building felt historic and full of character

Negatives:

- The parking situation was absolutely awful. Parking was only available at the Boston Common garage for a fee of $30-something a day, which isn't so bad, but the distance from the hotel is very far and in an underground garage. This really detracted from the overall experience and we wouldn't recommend it to others that have driven a car to the hotel. I would say stay at this hotel if you do not have a car with you.
- Hotel staff were average, we did not feel welcomed by any of them.
- The breakfast was poor - low quality food and some cheap automatic coffee maker

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Korean first
north carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed based upon its excellent reviews here on Tripadvisor. However, this is probably the first time where the majority of reviews and my actual experience did not jive. I am not completely disappointed but I noticed so many little things that need attention that my overall stay has to be rated as average.

Right off, yes this place has location location location! The Commonwealth mall for walking is right there and the Arlington T-station is nearby. The walk from the T to the Club was very quick and takes you right past the Public Gardens.

Breakfast was okay as it was a true continental breakfast with the only hot options being whatever bread you put in the toaster. A good point at breakfast was the coffee and the diced fresh fruit cups.

Staff was great, though, on the weekends they are not around. I was greeted by the very friendly Donald (who happened to be there) who said his cell number is in the elevator and in my key packet should I need anything.

I stayed in one of the single rooms and my comments reflect just one room: In the desk/dresser I found loads of old books and magazines. While some readers may have said "jackpot", I felt this diminished my drawer space which was only the few drawers in the nightstand. Also, the magazine left on display was from early spring 2012.

There is no TV in the room, but there is a nice CD / Radio / Ipod friendly stereo. There were even a few classical CDs there to enjoy.

The phone did not work when I came in. I had to jiggle with the cord at the main box on the baseboard and one end of the wire was broken. I pushed it in and had to be careful using the phone that was run across the room under the rug.

My stay was a July stay so a window AC was present. However it was loud and no directions were in the room on how to operate it. There was a sleep feature on it and I would have liked to use it.

My room was at the back of the building overlooking a public alley. It was noisy. And with garbage/recycling pickup the next morning, the smell came into my room since the window was open for the window AC. (Better sealing around the unit would alleviate this.)

While the website and publications throughout the Club discuss their circa 2008 renovations, my room did look "worn." The rug had wear spots where the posts of the bed had been moved on it. The furniture had scratches. And I saw areas through the Club where plaster was cracking.

However, the shared bathroom I used did look wonderful and not so "worn." The enclosed shower was very nice and amenities (including shower caps!) are available in case you forgot something.

But "worn" is the term I'd use for a lot of what I saw. Some TLC is needed to touch-up some of the beautiful renovations that were done. And some ongoing care is needed to keep things neat and orderly. A few books in the room on a shelf are nice, but not 3 drawers full that housekeeping could have kept shoving in over the years. I appreciate reviewing tourist materials but a free 2009-10 tourist guide should not be the prime reading material available on the coffee table in the breakfast area beside today's Boston Globe.

Also, they do have a computer available in the breakfast area. But during my brief visit it was not working as I had hoped to print my flight tickets prior to leaving.

A final note on the cancellation policy. It is disclosed at reservation time, but I believe a $20 fee an advanced cancellation is bit much. I rescheduled, that is to change an existing reservation, but they charged the $20 fee despite my email explaining this.

I certainly would not advise against staying there if you wish. However, this was probably a one-time visit here for me.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Commonwealth Avenue. Rooms at the back overlook an alley.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank jazzmina11
Winter Garden, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

On the PLUS side, this B&B is in a wonderful location - right next to the Public Gardens in the Beacon Hill / Back Bay area of Boston. The rooms are very large and the baths have been up-dated. The subway is only 2 blocks walk away. There is a good coffee machine in the lobby, and coffee / tea is available all day. At about 3 PM every day, fresh-baked cookies are also made available in the lobby.
On the MINUS side,
1. parking is available only in a garage 3 long blocks away and costs about $25.00 per day extra.
2. no ice machine was available the three days we were there
3. The window air conditioning units are too small to adequately chill the large rooms when the weather is warm, and our first evening was hot and miserable. The hostess did move us to another room on a lower floor the second day, and it was considerably better, but the A.C. had to be on as high as possible 24/7 to cool the room.
4. There is no TV (although it does state that on the website).
5. The first evening we had only luke-warm water even after a 10-minute wait - no hot water in the shower.
6. Breakfast is bare-bones Continental and is the same every day...some sweet pastries, some cut-up fruit, cold hard-boiled eggs, toast, bagels, stale cereal and coffee.
7. No microwave is available in the breakfast room - only a toaster.
8. The elevator is very very slow.
9. There was no friendly rapport or helpful advice from the office staff - no suggestions of how / where to get subway tickets ...no maps of the city, directions for getting tours, evening events available, etc. These were all given at the other B&Bs where we have stayed.
10. All in all, the amount of money we paid was not worth it, and we wouldn’t stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GCCMusic
Gothenburg, Västra Götaland, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Before arrival we were telephoned and emailed by staff who were making sure that we were coming. They also wanted to welcome us to the hotel and give us the front door code. Upon arrival we were greeted by a friendly woman who checked us in and provided us with information about the hotel and about Boston. We were given maps and a guide book.

The room was beautifuly decorated in a 1950's look, it is big and spacious with a big bed and great furniture. We absolutely loved everything about this hotel and would definitely stay here again. The WiFi is included in the room rate.

Room Tip: Try the Connecticut room. It is lovely and on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Thim S
福岡
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is an interesting and nice B&B. It is located in downtown Boston, very close to Public Garden and to Arlington Station (subway), yet it is affordable. Breakfast is, I would say, basic, but it is surely adequate. Coffee is always (24 hours) available in the dining room and cookies are also provided in the afternoon. To be interesting, there is no television in the room, instead a bookshelf with a variety of books is there. The room itself is okay, but the desk is too small to work at. The bathroom and the restroom are shared, but not so much troublesome. If I come to Boston again, it is a place that I would think of staying at.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank 福岡Ek
Key West, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Great neighborhood. Close to green spaces, Copley Square, and all the dining and shopping options on Newbury and Boyleston. Public transport options close by. My stay was for a business trip, and so it was inconvenient to downtown and Seaport area where my meetings were, but all the same, other than difficulty getting a cab in the AM it wasn't that bad. The facility was very clean and the staff helpful. I had a single with shared bath and it was okay. The room was cozy but surprisingly there was a lot of traffic noise on Commonwealth at night and kept me awake. (Room was facing the street and had an A/C unit in the window, offered no sound barrier. Second night I turned on the (loud) A/C fan which drowned out the traffic noises. I liked the ambiance a lot. A pleasant departure from the normal large hotel template.

Room Tip: I would stay here again, but ask for a room that does not face the street.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank BayviewTennisFan
Sharon, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

I had limited expectations when arriving but have found my stay so far to be very pleasant. I got this booking through Travelocity at a good discount, and had concerns that it would be ill-advised. Actually, very pleasant indeed. A few points:

1. Outstanding location: when the weather is nice, this is a very pleasant, 1 mile walk through Boston Commons to the business district. And the immediate area is full of shops and the like (if you like high end shops and the like).

2. Surprisingly good breakfast: some comments have criticized the breakfast; while there isn't eggs, bacon etc., there is good fruit (fresh blueberries), pastires, juice, cereal, yoghurt and decent coffee.

3. Clean: The shared bathroom was immaculate and my room was fine.

Two downsides:

1. This club was apparently once women only, and I must say (as I guy) I feel a little like the fox in the henhouse or however that goes.

2. My room is a single on the 4th floor and it is indeed small and indeed has no TV. Also, the in window AC, while reasonably efficient, is a tad noisy. But certainly a servicable room and the place overall is far preferable to a souless chain.

Room Tip: IF you can stand the single, 4th floor is quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business