“FILTHY FILTHY FILTHY”

The Boston Common Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #80 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed July 1, 2013

There are other reviews on Tripadvisor that say the only thing this place has going for it is the location. I disagree. Don't let the location fool you into staying here, because it's not worth it. My husband and I were staying in Boston for a wedding, and this is where the bride and groom reserved a block of rooms. The FIRST room they put us in (613) was disgusting. There baseboards and A/C vents were caked with dust, there were hairs in our bed, splatters of who knows what on the walls, the shower curtain and shower tile was stained and mildewed, and the list goes on. We told the front desk that our room was dirty and we wanted a new one. They claimed that housekeeping said it had been cleaned, but moved us to another room (701) anyway. That room was only marginally better. There wasn't any hair in the bed, but there was mildew in the shower, the bathroom floor had dust and hair all over it, and the carpet in the main room looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in months. Obviously all housekeeping was doing was putting clean sheets on the bed and clean towels in the bathroom and that was it. The hotel's facilities themselves are old and worn out, but that can be overlooked if the place is clean. This hotel however, was NASTY.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and stay at a clean hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I stayed there for the 2013 Boston Marathon. It was 1 block from the finish line and half a block from the marathon exit and drop bag buses. Perfect for any one running the marathon. Price was perfect too compared to all the other hotels. No microwaves in room but you can request a fridge for 10 extra bucks total. They have continental bkfst on 5th floor and a microwave you can use there. Unfortunately they are closing down before the 2014 Boston marathon and I won't be able to get a room there. I hope they extend for a few more months so that I can stay there again for Boston 2014. Great service, clean, newly remodeled rooms and wonderful location close to everything. Rooms are a bit small but perfect size for me. No wifi in the rooms. No movies either which would be a good addition. Excellent service.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Pros: it's a block from the public library and Trinity Church, and a 5 minute walk from Boston Common. There's a 24 hour CVS and plenty of great restaurants close by.
Cons: It was so old and fleabag: this was not "dated" or "worn", it was "gross". There were chips in the tub, the tub mat was grimy and partially ripped, there was built up dirt in the corners, our room was about 10 by 12, and so on. My parents stayed at 140 half a block a way for less than $10 more a night and reported it was much nicer. Also, there was no possible Internet in the rooms, and the fitness center was $10.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel due to its close proximity to Fenway, where we were going to go to a game. It is in Back Bay and near Copley which has good shopping and restaurants and it is only a mile walk to Fenway. The lobby is quaint (and seemed clean) which I suppose is a draw. The check in attendant was pleasant. That is where it ended. The room was comfortable but very outdated. The walls must be paper thin because my husband and I listened to a child in the next room before bed and then were awoken at 6am by the same child. The bathroom was horrible and out of the 50's with barely room for 1 person and no turning radius. It had a tiny pedestal sink and no place to organize toiletries. It was in bad need of a paint job and the towel bars were broken. The hair dryer overheated so many times I gave up. The toilet cover had burn marks in it and there was mold in the tub. Yuck. The continental breakfast was sparse with a few bagels, cereal and apples/oranges and served in a room I wouldn't want to eat in. Don't stay here. At $250 a night with taxes it isn't worth it. Spend a little more down the street.

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

This hotel gives travelers easy access to Fenway Park and the Quincy Market area. It does not offer clean and comfortable rooms.
Our room, and the lobby for that matter, smelled of tobacco smoke. This aggravated our allergies.
Just when we thought things could not get more disappointing, my daughter could not find a Gideon-placed Bible. I have traveled to hotels on six continents, and NEVER have I encountered this before... I think this place can use some divine intervention.
In fairness, it must be noted that the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful.

Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Staff were great; they let us check in three and a half hours early which allowed us to make the most of the trip. They also stored our bags after check out.

Breakfast was good; bagels and pastries, cereal and coffee, juice etc.

The room could have been cleaner. The TV was broken but the staff replaced it within minutes!

Great location for Back Bay, Copley square, rail and road links, Red Sox and the T (subway).

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I stayed from 7th to 10th December 2012 on my own. The room I booked via Booking.com sleeps two people and comes with breakfast. The furnishings were a little old and the carpet was coming up at the edges, but it was clean enough during my stay. (The room was quite spacious to me as well because I am used to European and Asian hotel rooms.) Staff were helpful and friendly--I had an issue with the bathtub and they got it fixed within the same afternoon. However, the bathroom did not drain very well, so any water that got on the floor formed a puddle that did not dry up.

The location was convenient for commuting, shopping and sight-seeing. Breakfast comprised of hot beverages, cereal and some pastries. The Wi-Fi was a little dodgy sometimes but there are computers for use in a room near the reception desk.

I was fortunate enough to get a room on the eight floor and so I could look out over the parking structure and actually see the Boston skyline.

(Food trucks stop outside during lunch time, so you don't actually have to walk out very far to to grab a quick bite.)

Room Tip: Higher floors will give you a view over the parking structure and if you're lucky, a view of the...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo