“excellent location and value”

The Boston Common Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #79 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
“excellent location and value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

I was plesantly surprised ! My relatives were booked at the copley and when checking rates decided to look for a "more reasonable" rate and hotel. the hotel is in copley square one block from copley place- walking distance to downtown faniel hall beacon holl etc.
When I got to the entry it was a bit of aa shock- like a side door or an employee entry- you see a parking garage etc BUT when entering you can tell this once was az grand hotel!

The hotel is not modern nor fancy yet you feel an air of grandure it once had- the STAFF was very friendly, the room and toliet were imaculatly clean coffeemaker in room lots of fluffy towels etc
safe was at front desk - the business center accross from the front desk open 24/7 had free internet access and printer
the wifi supposedly workd only in common areas ( router by floor) but i had great reception in room
Free HBO and TV
The continental breakfast was surprising-
4 types of bagels english muffins 4 types of cold cereals 2 choices of juice fresh fruit an assortment of coffee cakes- jellys and jams
and all as much as you could eat!!

In short an amazing value- i booked on line and did the web special that gave me a min 50% price difference between this hotel and all other area hotels

Room Tip: i had a room facing inward ( not to street) was incredably private and quiet!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Joe S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Honolulu, Hawaii
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

If I could give this place less than one star I totally would!! This hotel was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in!! The front desk ladies were all rude except for the one who checked us out of the hotel. The room was filthy!! I was afraid I was going to catch a disease. The bathroom was the most disgusting!! The bathtub, the walls, and the shower curtain had mildew all over it. The sink was brown instead of white. The toilet was cramped up against the wall so you need to sit side ways to use it and it leaked water every time you flushed it. I called the front desk and requested that the bathroom be cleaned and the shower curtain changed. I was told by the front desk lady that the maids has already cleaned it but they would check it again. All they did was change the shower curtain. I highly recommend staying somewhere else. I know I will NEVER return to this hotel!! For $200+ a night I expect at least a clean room to sleep in but you won't be getting that from this hotel!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Boston hotels

North Babylon, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Booked this in a hurry, it was close to where we had to be, and was the least expensive room I could find. The room was nice, the bath was clean but old. As the title states, it's what one would expect for inexpensive accommodations in an old building.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Linda C
Worcester, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

As noted, the location is great, not scenic, unless you are a fan of parking garages, but near to really expensive places and good enough if you are not planning on doing anything but sleeping there.

It is an older facility and it looks like they just took this on as the guest guide refers to the place as the John Hancock Hotel and Conference Center. They just switched out the paper on the cover. It smells old, and it isn't easy to get into as there are no ramps. You enter off the street and go up a few steps. No big deal for most people, but I didn't see anything for handicap accessibility. The desk clerk was friendly enough for me. I'd rather be a little more casual so this didn't bother me in the least. As I eat a light breakfast anyway, I didn't mind just grabbing a bagel and a piece of fruit. Fresh fruit - as in apples and oranges - always a plus. They keep the area neat enough and there is cereal and coffee, juice, hot water, tea. Don't know what else you would expect for this style of meal - and I'd rather have this than the nothing they provide down the street at the Westin.

The room was smallish - expected because of the age. Smelled a little musty, but that went away when I cranked up the AC. The bathroom is dated and small, but clean. The tub is not something I would ever imagine using though. The shower was good. The bed was comfortable, so no complaints. It cost less to stay here than at the Westin where the conference I was in town for was being held, but more than the Park Plaza, which is only four blocks away and is a nicer place. (Friend stayed there.)

Just don't go in expecting more than a place to rest your head and you'll be fine.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Padua, Italy
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,070 helpful votes
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

The only two positive topics are: location (near the center); and this is the reason because I gave 2/5 to this hotel. I was in this hotel 1 year and a half ago.
Unlucky, from my part all the other is fully negative: the hotel is not a hotel (there is neither an indication for it), it's difficult to find a 'real' concierge, the staff is unfriendly and all the building is old and is really needing a deep resctructuring. The rooms have very old forniture and the the bathroom services are worst, if possible. The windows are'nt closing good, the fridge doesn't work... The price is perfectly comparable to other hotel in the same area. Finally, the breakfast quality has to be improved at all.
That's all.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank gio1962car
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in May 2013. The best thing about this hotel is the location. Close to Copley Square and Back Bay tube and train stations. If you are just here to sleep then this should be fine for you as I found the rooms quiet (on the 6th floor) and had a good nights sleep each night with minimal noise. The rooms were large with lots of cable channels and free wifi in the lounge (not rooms).

The bad points: The hotel reception staff were un-professional and not helpful which sadly seemed to act like a disease and spread to each member of front desk staff. The rooms were dated, especially the bathrooms. They need to rip out the buff/brown coloured tiled and worn baths and replace everything with a white suite. If you like to have a bath, I would choose not to stay here because the tub is so old and scratched that it will always feel dirty. Even she shower curtain, which is a simple thing to update was old fashioned. The breakfast and breakfast area was so bad that we had to laugh. If breakfast is important to you and you look forward to a table clothed area with relaxing music and being served coffee then do not stay here. It felt like some kind of prison or mental health institution. The cutlery and plates were plastic, and there were only paper cups for coffee and juice. Unlike a prison there was no member of staff to clean or clear the tables. I only had breakfast here on the first morning.

This was one of the cheapest hotels in the area, and I would stay here again, but you get what you pay for!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank faith246
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed here in mid-May with my girlfriend for 3 nights.

The hotel is in a great location, just a few minutes walk from Back Bay station and close to Copley subway station. The first impression I got when I entered the hotel was how dated it looked. The staff were not very friendly and gave no information about the area.

The room was a decent size and the bed was comfortable. The rooms could do with a paint job, the bathroom door had a wonky handle, the bath was chipped and didn't look clean, the carpet had stains on it.......the list goes on.

I wouldn't bother with the "breakfast" at the hotel. I have had better breakfasts at £30 per night hostels. All plates and cutlery were plastic along with paper cups. Muffins and bagels were not fresh and the coffee was not drinkable.

For nearly $200 per night I expect more. If you just want somewhere to sleep in a great location and don't care about breakfast or tired looking rooms than the Boston Common hotel will meet your needs.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple