“Good location, dated rooms”

The Boston Common Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #80 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in May 2013. The best thing about this hotel is the location. Close to Copley Square and Back Bay tube and train stations. If you are just here to sleep then this should be fine for you as I found the rooms quiet (on the 6th floor) and had a good nights sleep each night with minimal noise. The rooms were large with lots of cable channels and free wifi in the lounge (not rooms).

The bad points: The hotel reception staff were un-professional and not helpful which sadly seemed to act like a disease and spread to each member of front desk staff. The rooms were dated, especially the bathrooms. They need to rip out the buff/brown coloured tiled and worn baths and replace everything with a white suite. If you like to have a bath, I would choose not to stay here because the tub is so old and scratched that it will always feel dirty. Even she shower curtain, which is a simple thing to update was old fashioned. The breakfast and breakfast area was so bad that we had to laugh. If breakfast is important to you and you look forward to a table clothed area with relaxing music and being served coffee then do not stay here. It felt like some kind of prison or mental health institution. The cutlery and plates were plastic, and there were only paper cups for coffee and juice. Unlike a prison there was no member of staff to clean or clear the tables. I only had breakfast here on the first morning.

This was one of the cheapest hotels in the area, and I would stay here again, but you get what you pay for!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank faith246

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed here in mid-May with my girlfriend for 3 nights.

The hotel is in a great location, just a few minutes walk from Back Bay station and close to Copley subway station. The first impression I got when I entered the hotel was how dated it looked. The staff were not very friendly and gave no information about the area.

The room was a decent size and the bed was comfortable. The rooms could do with a paint job, the bathroom door had a wonky handle, the bath was chipped and didn't look clean, the carpet had stains on it.......the list goes on.

I wouldn't bother with the "breakfast" at the hotel. I have had better breakfasts at £30 per night hostels. All plates and cutlery were plastic along with paper cups. Muffins and bagels were not fresh and the coffee was not drinkable.

For nearly $200 per night I expect more. If you just want somewhere to sleep in a great location and don't care about breakfast or tired looking rooms than the Boston Common hotel will meet your needs.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2013

If you are visiting Boston as a tourist you shouldn't spend much time in your hotel anyway, this is a basic hotel, in need of freshening up, but it is clean, quiet and in a nice area. A good variety of TV channels, a cheap booked cab to Logan ($17), free internet downstairs and patchy free Wifi (had to go down the corridor from our room!) and the price are good, the welcome we got (although the same reception staff were nicer on our departure) and the general run down feeling of the corridors, bathrooms and rooms not so (although as I said, clean). Would book here again at the right price for the location...

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room, I think they are working on it...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Madrileno_Joe
Reviewed May 22, 2013

The Good - location, location, location. Close to everything downtown. The staff, very pleasant and helpful.

The Bad
Breakfast - an absolute disgrace. They hold be ashamed of it.
The rooms, tired, grubby and worn. Thin walls.
Banging doors, very noisy -take earplugs
Bathroom, poor water pressure, poorly designed, almost impossible to shut the door unless you are actually standing in the bathtub

I can't believe that thre re not better options for $200 ++ per night

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed in that hotel for over a week. I choose it mainly because of the price, breakfast and free internet access. The hotel is located in the middle of Boston, right next to John Hancock tower 100 meters from the metro station. Hotel is really clean, but it doesn’t help when you compare to how worn everything is. You can smell stall air, the doors are painted several time, floor mats lost all of their colours. In my room doors to the bathroom didn’t close at all. Luckily I was staying alone, so it wasn’t to big cumbersome. Additionally you couldn’t open a window, the air control was so loud that you had to make tough choices. Plus there is no light in the room, besides lamps on the table, which doesn’t give too much light after all. Breakfast is very poor even for American standards. One muffin, couple of buns and tea/coffee/juice. Internet in the room was working for couple of days, and then it stopped. However there is all the time internet access in the lobby. If you going to stay there for a night or two it is a reasonable choice, but for longer stay I would choose a different place. And don’t get me wrong if that is bad. Its just that I get used to a little bit higher standard during my stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I agree that it is older and "dated," but it is clean and hospitable. They were very accommodating about our needs - a rollaway (and then we changed our minds) and a need to store our luggage between checkout time and airplane departure time. I left my phone charger in the room, and they called to let me know they had found it. It is a great location!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Shelmurr
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Stayed for a week while looking for a place to live in the area. The hotel is older and I thought it added to the charm of the room - bed and breakfast type charm. Rooms are small and no refrigerator, but there are numerous choices for food within walking distance - a two block radius - including a grocery store. The included (free) breakfast is reasonable, fruit, juices, coffee, cereal, and bagels/muffins. The hotel is conveniently located near Copley Square and the Back Bay T/Orange line. The staff was helpful and very friendly. The WIFI is best in the main lobby, business center, and meeting rooms. Parking garage is across the alley and is expensive, but is subsidized by the hotel; subsidized $27/day, normally $60. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. I loved everything about my stay here.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo