“A Beautiful Hotel”

Ranked #8 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Connecticut
“A Beautiful Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2010

I stayed at this beautiful hotel in early August with my wife and two young children as we were visiting nearby Boston Children's Hospital. We pulled our car up to the entrance of the hotel and we were greeted very warmly and energetically by the valet and doorman. Our bags were placed on the rolling brass rack and we proceeded inside for check-in. It was 1:30 pm on a Monday. I knew the Red Sox were out of town on a road trip. I surmised that the hotel would not be full at this time. I hate the firm 3:00 pm check-in policy that some hotels strictly adhere to and I was curious to see what would happen here. The lobby area was up one dramatic flight of stairs (there was also an elevator on the side) and the word I would use to describe the lobby area would be regal. Gorgeous red floor covering, multiple pieces of ornate furniture and high ceiling made the space feel like a large room in a European palace. Anika, who greeted us, was warm, personable and professional. She said our room was ready and our bags would be right up. Our room was on the 3rd floor of the 5 story hotel. Our room was a Commonwealth Room which was like a junior suite. The room was in shades of browns and golds and was relaxingly inviting. The marble bathroom was beautiful and was a nice size. The king sized bed was extremely comfortable and the sittiing area had the pull-out couch/bed for the kids. The view out our window faced north out onto Commonwealth Avenue. The famous Citgo sign (another Red Sox reference) was there also. The bags arrived and we got ready to head out and see the city. We took a cab over to the Children's Museum. Our kids, 7 and almost 3 had a ball for a few hours. My son was so proud to have climbed to the top of the 3 story climbing maze at the front of the museum. My daughter loved the Arthur exhibit. After an ice cream break at the huge Hood milk bottle outside the museum, we grabbed a cab over to the Public Gardens. My daughter loves the book "Make Way for Ducklings" by Robert McCloskey, so we took a ride on one of the Swan Boats in the Public Gardens and saw the little island where the ducks finally settled. She loved seeing the setting of one of her favorite books and we loved it too. Afterwards, we hailed a cab back to the hotel. We relaxed in the room for about an hour and dressed for dinner. We dined at Eastern Standard Restaurant within the hotel. We sat inside and dinner was excellent. Thanks to our Ipad, our kids were entertained enough so that dinner was mostly relaxing. After dinner, we retired to our room and bathed the kids and put them to bed. I did not hear any street sounds from Commonwealth Avenue and the climate control was quiet and effective. I slept perfectly all night. The next morning we had breakfast at Eastern Standard again but this time, we sat outside in a beautiful garden area facing Commonwealth Avenue. It was fun to people watch and I had french toast that was delicious and memorable. Check-out was friendly and courteous. Our car was brought around and we departed for the hospital. The hotel was beautiful. The service was impeccable. The restaurant was great. We even had complimentary wi-fi. A fabulous stay at a beautiful hotel. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,016)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Aurora, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2010

I have stayed at lots of four star hotels and even some fives, and Hotel Commonwealth is up there with the best of all of them. The moment you get there, the doorman greet you like you are the most important person in the world. Every other time they see you during your stay they will greet you by name. The rooms are beautiful and bathrooms very luxurious. The location is right next to Fenway Park, with plenty of restaurants in the area. I loved this place from start to finish. And my wife may have liked it better than I did!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

I researched this hotel on tripadvisor and ended up booking it for our trip to Boston. I was not disappointed. Everything was wonderful and it is a great location. It was right next door to the subway and there were a lot of great restaurants close by.The rooms were very spacious and comfortable. I will definitely stay here in the future.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
boca raton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2010

This a good value hotel with no major challenges other than it's location. From our view of the Boston landscape the action centers on (from east to west) the Boston harbor front, the North End, Fanuil Hall Marketplace, Boston Garden and Boston Common near The Four Seasons and Ritz, Beacon Hill and Back Bay including the Charles River, and the Copley Sq area including Newbury St..
Although my (awesome) wife and I are avid walkers this hotel requires a $10-20 taxi trip to get to any of the aforementioned area attractions. Also Kenmore Sq., where the hotel is located, really has nothing going for it except Fenway Park and many, many sports bars.
Only other comment and this is probably in the nit picking catagory: the rooms could use a refresh (mattresses, drapes, wall paper, etc).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2010

I've stayed at the Hotel Commonwealth the past two years for the Boston Marathon. It's a wonderful hotel and a great value. The rooms are beautiful, especially the Commonwealth suites. The staff is uniformly gracious, friendly, and helpful. This past stay, the doorman went way beyond the call of duty to help me retrieve my cell phone after I inadvertently left it in a cab.

The location is mixed. It's literally on top of a T stop, which is super convenient. There's also a Dunkin Donuts right next door, which is great if you're a caffeine junky. It's just a couple blocks to the Charles, very nice for a run or stroll. You can walk to Newberry Street, the Convention Center, and Copley, but those are all a solid 10 minutes plus. Kenmore Square is not that appealing, and the restaurant selection is limited. It's also a pain having Fenway right there (unless you're going to the game) because it's kind of a zoo before and after the games.

The hotel restaurant (Eastern Standard) is a disappointment. The menu features lots of heavy food which in my experience is not particularly well executed. I've had consistent problems with the service at breakfast.

Nonetheless, I love this place, and will be back for Boston 2011.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank acek
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2010

Stayed here for couple of nights in junior suite for excellent price of $206 plus tax, booking through hotel was surprisingly the cheapest rate obtainable, particularly as hotel was full. Excellently located, away from the husle and busle, 10min cab drive to Boston park, but 5min walk to anywhere in Back Bay area, with fab Newburry Street and the shopping stretch of Boylston streets short walk away. It was excellent to go for a walk on a warm night to Newburry street and have dinner in one of its numerous and excellent bars and eateries. The small sitting room adjacent to the bedroom faced onto the Commonweath Ave and the large bus stop, but due to double glazing and superb furnishings and sun block out, it was super quiet. The aircon system was the quietest I have ever encountered, made for super pleasant sleep on a hot summer night.

It is rarely that I give 5/5 to any hotel I stay in, Hyatt in Milan being notable exception, but Commonwealth was simply excellent, due to its attention to detail and superior service touches, including:

- preprogrammed numbers in the phone, super easy, and super efficient;
- one of the most helpful directories ever encountered, particularly one called "At Your Service"
- selection card for 5 choices of newspaper;
- jogging map and a walking map of Back Bay souvenir worthy with its charming old world look, but most importantly useful;
- taking "super clean" to a new level;
- thoutful design, such as hooks for hanging your bathrobe net to (small but cute) bath;
- choice of spa and massage services, including for expectant mothers as well as busy executives;
- small room service menu, but tasty and reasonably priced meals, and pleasant surprise inclusion of "dining out" section in the in room dining folder;
- efficient complimentary WIFI and free document printing;
- Ipod stands, etc.
- lovely gallery of photography for your enjoyment, fab breakfast room in their restaurant, excellent service and cosy art deco features, to name just a few.

The only thing that would make this hotel perfect is multi (adaptorless) international powerpoints which the best hotels are increasingly installing (at least at the business desk area). Excellent hotel, beautifully appointed, highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank l-globetrotter
Larchmont, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2010

The Commonwealth was not the cheapest option in Boston, but I am glad we spent the money and stayed here. I was traveling with my mother, sister and daughter for a "girls weekend" in Boston. What was nice about the Commonwealth was that their double rooms actually had two Queen beds.The beds were SO comfortable! Also, there was a lovely sitting area, and the room was so spacious. The "Fresh" products stocked in the bathroom were first class, and the service was excellent. The location cannot be better- you are right near everything you need to be. The doorman and bellhop could not be more accomodating, and the front desk gave us excellent advice on where to eat lunch, dinner, etc. I would not hesitate to go back to the Commonwealth. It was a great place to stay for a weekend in Boston!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family