“Simply superb, and matches expected SLH quality”
Review of Hotel Commonwealth

Hotel Commonwealth
Ranked #8 of 83 Hotels in Boston
London, United Kingdom
“Simply superb, and matches expected SLH quality”
Reviewed July 23, 2010

Stayed here for couple of nights in junior suite for excellent price of $206 plus tax, booking through hotel was surprisingly the cheapest rate obtainable, particularly as hotel was full. Excellently located, away from the husle and busle, 10min cab drive to Boston park, but 5min walk to anywhere in Back Bay area, with fab Newburry Street and the shopping stretch of Boylston streets short walk away. It was excellent to go for a walk on a warm night to Newburry street and have dinner in one of its numerous and excellent bars and eateries. The small sitting room adjacent to the bedroom faced onto the Commonweath Ave and the large bus stop, but due to double glazing and superb furnishings and sun block out, it was super quiet. The aircon system was the quietest I have ever encountered, made for super pleasant sleep on a hot summer night.

It is rarely that I give 5/5 to any hotel I stay in, Hyatt in Milan being notable exception, but Commonwealth was simply excellent, due to its attention to detail and superior service touches, including:

- preprogrammed numbers in the phone, super easy, and super efficient;
- one of the most helpful directories ever encountered, particularly one called "At Your Service"
- selection card for 5 choices of newspaper;
- jogging map and a walking map of Back Bay souvenir worthy with its charming old world look, but most importantly useful;
- taking "super clean" to a new level;
- thoutful design, such as hooks for hanging your bathrobe net to (small but cute) bath;
- choice of spa and massage services, including for expectant mothers as well as busy executives;
- small room service menu, but tasty and reasonably priced meals, and pleasant surprise inclusion of "dining out" section in the in room dining folder;
- efficient complimentary WIFI and free document printing;
- Ipod stands, etc.
- lovely gallery of photography for your enjoyment, fab breakfast room in their restaurant, excellent service and cosy art deco features, to name just a few.

The only thing that would make this hotel perfect is multi (adaptorless) international powerpoints which the best hotels are increasingly installing (at least at the business desk area). Excellent hotel, beautifully appointed, highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank l-globetrotter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,047)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Larchmont, New York
Reviewed July 22, 2010

The Commonwealth was not the cheapest option in Boston, but I am glad we spent the money and stayed here. I was traveling with my mother, sister and daughter for a "girls weekend" in Boston. What was nice about the Commonwealth was that their double rooms actually had two Queen beds.The beds were SO comfortable! Also, there was a lovely sitting area, and the room was so spacious. The "Fresh" products stocked in the bathroom were first class, and the service was excellent. The location cannot be better- you are right near everything you need to be. The doorman and bellhop could not be more accomodating, and the front desk gave us excellent advice on where to eat lunch, dinner, etc. I would not hesitate to go back to the Commonwealth. It was a great place to stay for a weekend in Boston!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank amanda1969
Rochester, New York
Reviewed July 19, 2010

The greeting from the doorman was wonderful. He was very pleasant, and probaby the only person at this facility who smiled, other than the housekeeper who came to vacuum our room at 1:30 in the morning due to an ant problem we had in the room. It took 2 hours and 2 phone calls to get room service on a pre-ordered item and 1 1/2 hours and 2 phone calls to get someone to come and deal with the swarm of ants in the room. Despite the vacuuming in the middle of the night, the ants persisted and the person at the desk in the morning did not seem interested in this issue.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
San Diego
Reviewed July 9, 2010

We had the pleasure of staying at Hotel Commonwealth for 4 nights at the end of June. I was a little weary of the location because a few people had mentioned we would be kind of out of the way of things. I am sooo glad I listened to my intuition. It is a great location. The staff could not be any nicer and anymore service oriented. The concierge Dan was so helpful. The rooms are a great size and very clean! Surprisingly quiet too! One example of how great their customer service is...I had 2 blouses dry cleaned through the hotel, which I usually don't do, but we were traveling for quite some time. They came back from the dry cleaners shrunken to doll size. I was very upset. They were not very expensive tops, but I liked them a lot. The manager took it upon herself to find them online and order them, having them sent directly to my home. Now that is something you don't get everyday. If there is one negative drawback, I would have to say the beds are a bit on the firm side, but it wouldn't stop me from staying there. I will ALWAYS stay at Hotel Commonwealth when I go to Boston. Loved it!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank kukiemama
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 5, 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Commonwealth last night for the July 4th celebration and to celebrate our anniversary, which I put in my online reservation. We were greeted at the front desk with, "Welcome and happy anniversary", and were told that we were upgraded to their nicest suite. The suite was beautifully appointed and enormous. The staff, from the doorman to the front desk, were so friendly and gracious. Eastern Standard was fun and the drinks were amazing. When we returned from the Pops and the fireworks, we found a bottle of champagne and chocolates in our living room, with an anniversary card!! What a wonderful way to end an incredible day. We will never stay anywhere else in Boston again. Thank you!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Bellaire, Texas
Reviewed June 29, 2010

I recently stayed at the Hotel Commonwealth during my daughter's orientation session to Boston University and my parent orientation. The hotel is perfectly located right next door to the campus and a T stop. My room was spotlessly clean, extremely quiet (even though I looked onto Mass Ave) beautifully decorated and had great toiletries in the new, all marble bathroom. They are attached to a wonderful restaurant called Eastern Standard that will not only let you sign the check to your room but provides 24 hour room service to the hotel. The staff and the service however were AMAZING! Beyond the call of duty. When I got to the airport upon departure, I realized I was missing a carry on bag which contained my perscription medicine and other important things. The manager, Victoria, actually pored over footage on the hotel security cameras and she found my bag! I was certainly not expecting that. Even the housekeeping staff was friendly and attentive. I will definitely stay at the Hotel Commonwealth again and again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
oregon
Reviewed June 28, 2010

This is a great hotel in every respect - helpful and attentive staff, terric room at reasonable price, great restaurant. The rooms are much larger than is typical (>500 sq ft) and seem freshly redecorated and immaculate. Bathrooms are very large and seem recently redesigned. Very tasteful decor throughout with many, many touches of home. The room is well set up, split between a very large, highly functional desk and small living room area; the bedroom can be screened off if desired. I utilized staff more than I usually do, including needing service to one of the two TVs, plus I asked the concierge to help me plan a day of sightseeing, plus a small dinner for 6 colleagues. All staff were the ultimate in friendly and quite helpful. While the location is a little further from the busiest areas of Back Bay than I thought, it was quiet and quite near Fenway. This is my new place to stay in Boston.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business