“Romantic getaway”
Review of Hotel Commonwealth

Hotel Commonwealth
Ranked #9 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed January 21, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Commonwealth for two nights as a weekend getaway from the kids. We checked in at around 11:30 am, which was a bit of a surprise. We were not expecting to be able to check in so early on the day of our arrival ( a Saturday ). The front desk staff and the valets were friendly and accommodating. My wife accidentally left something in the car and they went out in snowy conditions to retrieve it. The bellhop helped bring the luggage into the main lobby, but I do not recall him offering to bring the luggage to the room. This was not a problem as I am healthy and we only had two light bags to carry. We had originally booked a Kenmore room online. We received an email a week or so prior to arrival asking us if we wanted to upgrade to a Commonwealth junior suite for an additional 15 dollars per night. We chose to do so. The Commonwealth "junior suite" as they called it has a sitting area with two arm chairs, a foot hassock, and a writing desk, along with an additional TV for your use. All of this is separated from the bed and bath area by a curtain which can be drawn when desired. The room was spacious, clean, and very quiet, with a good sized bathroom and shower area. I also appreciated the digital thermostat which was nice to have to adjust the temperature as desired. The safe came in handy as well as we brought some electronics that we locked up each day before venturing outdoors. We ate dinner once at the Eastern Standard restaurant that is attached to the hotel which one accesses through a hallway art gallery that has pictures on the wall for sale, most of which were out of my price range, although nice to peruse as we walked to the restaurant. The restaurant was crowded and we were told that it was an hour wait. Sadly, no one at the desk had recommended reservations when we discussed the restaurants with the front desk upon our arrival at the hotel. The good news is that they told us they could text us when a table was ready if we wanted to return to our room, which we did. The better news is that it was indeed about an hour wait as they had previously informed us. We both ordered a flat iron steak, medium well. My meat had to be sent back once because it was underdone ( too red ). My wife's also had to be sent back for more cook time. Mine came back as desired, but my wife's had to be sent back again as it truly looked as though they had not done anything to it. The second time it came back it was cooked properly and the meal was tasty. The waiter and the manager of the restaurant were highly apologetic. My wife and I were very nonchalant about the whole thing and were not expecting what happened next. They only charged us for one of the steak dinners AND the manager supplied us with a very generous gift card to woo us back to try the restaurant again. Excellent service in this regard. I have never had such a generous offer from an establishment when something went not quite as planned. Kudos to the staff for that. We did indeed come back for breakfast for the next two mornings and the breakfasts were excellent as was the service. The hotel is super conveniently placed with many restaurants, banks, and other conveniences within a few blocks at worst. The Kenmore station T stop is literally 50 feet outside of the front door of the hotel. We took it one morning to the Prudential Center and Copley Place shops via the Green T line. We then continued on the Green Line T to Faneuil Hall where we shopped more and had dinner before returning via the T. We didn't feel the need to move our car once all day and in fact we did not have need to do so. Just about everything you want to visit in Boston is easily accessible from this hotel. That's a plus. Was the experience perfect ? No, there is always room for improvement. One thing that begs for improvement is lowering the cost of valet parking for the night. It was $ 46.00 per night and that in my opinion is excessive even for the middle of a city like Boston although it is commensurate with what other hotels in the area charge. In my opinion, they all need to drop that a bit including Hotel Commonwealth. The second thing that was mildly disconcerting was the upgrade cost. I opted to pay it, but found out from reading other reviews here that several days before, and in the previous week guests had received a free upgrade to the Commonwealth junior suite, where we had to pay for ours. Having paid for the upgrade to a junior suite, I asked if there was an opportunity for a free upgrade to a room type that is officially listed on their website as a "suite" rather than a "room". An example would be the "Executive Suite". I was told that the hotel was full and that upgrading could not be done. This seemed a bit strange as the hotel did not seem particularly crowded, and the view of the valet parking area from the fourth floor windows only showed a scant dozen or so cars in the lot. If the hotel was full, then the vast majority of the guests must have flown into Boston ;-). That being said, I would gladly recommend the Hotel Commonwealth for travelers to Boston as it's positives far outweighed any minor areas in need of improvement. Of course, if a free upgrade isn't available on our next visit, then I would start considering staying at The Taj ! ;-) I hope this helps you make a decision.

Jon and Fernanda

Room Tip: Commonwealth junior suite was nice, but I always try for an upgrade
2  Thank Jon B
Write a ReviewReviews (4,534)

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed there for my husbands birthday and stayed 1 night. For the reservations, I made note of the special occasion and they upgraded our room to the executive suite, sent up a bottle of Proseco, and also some chocolates!!

Overall it was a very nice stay. The overall experience made us both feel special!!!
Oh and the room was great with a beautiful view and very very spacious.
Thank you Evan and staff!!!

Room Tip: we had the room facing Comm Ave. great city view from the multiple gigantic windows!
1  Thank 270anniec
Reviewed January 20, 2014

A very nice hotel, with great interior decor and wonderful rooms. The bed was amongst the most comfortable I have ever slept in!
The staff are very polite, friendly, and helpful.
It is a fairly large hotel (and a little too large for my normal boutique tastes), but it still felt quite intimate.

Room Tip: try to get one facing the square
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Jackoids
Reviewed January 20, 2014

The hotel was everything I hoped it would be after reading the reviews of fellow tripadvisor writers. Great location for easy access to the Boston subway system as well as restaurants,shops and points of interest. Hotel was clean, nicely appointed, and had courteous employees that made an effort to be helpful and positive. Rooms are comfortable, spotless, and very quiet for a restful sleep.
What really made this visit special ( & will earn a repeat stay in the future) was the thoughtfulness of the woman who checked my wife and I in. When asked why we were in Boston my wife said it was her birthday & we came to Boston to celebrate. After enjoying a nice dinner we returned to our room to find a bottle of champagne and a nice note wishing my wife a happy birthday. My wife and I were touched by this thoughtful gesture which was totally unexpected...but greatly appreciated.
So fellow travelers, if you're looking for a first class hotel to explore a first class city, I have just the place for you!

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Enjoyed the stay. Good service, well appointed hotel with excellent amenities.
Stayed in Commonwealth room- very spacious and comfortable and nice linens.
Clock radio broken and night table light out- otherwise very nice

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I love the Hotel Commonwealth. The bed is amazing and the staff is very helpful and nice. I always stay there when I am traveling on business to Boston. I love that there are two good restaurants right in the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I would like to start by saying I have just stayed at this hotel for an entire month with work and couldn't ask for a better stay. If I could give this hotel 6 out of 5 stars I would. The rooms are amazing, and very accommodating for any type of guest. From robes to in-room snacks and beverages, this hotel definitely has you covered.

The staff at this hotel is far above the rest when it comes to a welcoming stay. I was lucky enough to have stayed here longer than the usual guest, and got to know some of the staff on a more personal level. I could tell that the hotel staff didn't just ask how my days were, they actually cared. I would like to personally thank Evan, Steve and Jeff for making the stay pleasant for myself and the team I work with for the entire month of our job.

When out of the hotel, restaurants, shops, and even Fenway Park are only a few seconds away. Right off of the Mass Turnpike, this hotel is in a prime spot for any Boston stay. I would definitely recommend this hotel to ANYONE who is planning a visit to the Boston area. I plan on making a return trip to this hotel in the nearby future.

I hope this review is more than enough to help you book your next stay at the Hotel Commonwealth when visiting the Boston Area.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business