4,724 results
All reviewseastern standardfenway parkisland creek oyster barkenmore squarefenway roomboston universityfront deskred sox gamejunior suitehouse of bluesroom servicegreen linefavorite hotelbeautiful hotelsitting arearoom was spaciousthe entire staff
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Enjoyed the stay. Good service, well appointed hotel with excellent amenities.
Stayed in Commonwealth room- very spacious and comfortable and nice linens.
Clock radio broken and night table light out- otherwise very nice

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I love the Hotel Commonwealth. The bed is amazing and the staff is very helpful and nice. I always stay there when I am traveling on business to Boston. I love that there are two good restaurants right in the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I would like to start by saying I have just stayed at this hotel for an entire month with work and couldn't ask for a better stay. If I could give this hotel 6 out of 5 stars I would. The rooms are amazing, and very accommodating for any type of guest. From robes to in-room snacks and beverages, this hotel definitely has you covered.

The staff at this hotel is far above the rest when it comes to a welcoming stay. I was lucky enough to have stayed here longer than the usual guest, and got to know some of the staff on a more personal level. I could tell that the hotel staff didn't just ask how my days were, they actually cared. I would like to personally thank Evan, Steve and Jeff for making the stay pleasant for myself and the team I work with for the entire month of our job.

When out of the hotel, restaurants, shops, and even Fenway Park are only a few seconds away. Right off of the Mass Turnpike, this hotel is in a prime spot for any Boston stay. I would definitely recommend this hotel to ANYONE who is planning a visit to the Boston area. I plan on making a return trip to this hotel in the nearby future.

I hope this review is more than enough to help you book your next stay at the Hotel Commonwealth when visiting the Boston Area.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Joshua G
Reviewed January 17, 2014

My wife and I ventured to Boston for the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships. It was her idea, however neither of us had been to Boston either, so it was worth a week’s vacation time to watch some figure skating and take in some of our country’s colonial and revolutionary war history.

We happened to book the Hotel Commonwealth as part of a flight and hotel package offered through Expedia. The price for the air and hotel was competitive and we were pleasantly surprised to notice a very high rating for the Commonwealth on Expedia and an even more impressive rating on Trip Advisor. We also took into account that the Boston subway known as the T had a station just a few feet from the front door of the Commonwealth and the Green Line ran from that station all the way to the TD Garden, where all the main skating programs were going to take place. This meant that we didn’t have to worry about renting a car or any of the other issues associated with driving in an unfamiliar city.

We arrived in Boston at 6am from a rather long cross-country red-eye flight. We had called the hotel a couple of days earlier in the week asking what their policy’s were regarding early arrivals. We were told that they would do their best to accommodate us, but couldn’t guarantee what kind of room would be available for an early check-in or if they would even have anything for us that early in the morning. With our travel plans locked in, and an early morning arrival time, we had no other option than to show up and see what we would be offered.

Having taken public transit from Logan airport to the Kenmore station underneath the Hotel, we got there about 7am. We were warmly greeted by the doorman and offered assistance with our luggage. We traveled carry-on, so we didn’t need assistance. We went directly to the front desk where they had rooms available for immediate occupancy, but they were all accessible. We were offered a competitive price for a room upgrade and we took it. The front desk was fully staffed even at that early hour and everyone was friendly and cheerful.

Off we went to our upgraded room. The room was much larger than I’m used to. It was called a junior suite. It had wonderful views of Commonwealth Ave., many large windows, a nicely appointed sitting area with two huge chairs, a very large ottoman to be used by two and sizeable writing desk and a TV in the living area. There was a curtain that separated the living area from the bedroom, which had a king sized bed and another TV in an armoire. The bathroom was fairly large with a large vanity, single sink, toilet in a private closet and a standard shower tub combo with a large shelf at the back of the shower for storing soaps and shampoos and possibly a towel. The room was very nicely appointed, very clean and attractively furnished. It is possibly the most relaxing hotel room I’ve stayed in. Even though the room faced a fairly busy Commonwealth Ave., we never heard any street noise day or night. My general observation of Boston is that the city shuts down at night and as such Commonwealth Ave. had very little traffic after midnight.

We took the early check-in as an opportunity to relax, clean up after the long flight and get ready for a busy day ahead.
Skating events last well into the evening and we found it difficult to get both food and find time to take the train back to the hotel before the T closed, so the first night after skating was done we took the T back to the hotel and then found ourselves in the very quiet neighborhood around the Commonwealth Hotel. We were aware of Eastern Standard, one of the restaurants attached to the Commonwealth. So we ventured down there and took advantage of their late night menu. As we were discovering was typical for the Commonwealth, the staff of ES was very friendly, seemed genuinely glad that we had arrived and took special attention to our needs. Our waiter even provided us information on other dining establishments in Boston that we should look up during our visit.

On our second night arriving back at the hotel late, Hannie and Thelma were staffing the front desk and greeted us warmly and genuinely just as all the staff seems to do. We must have spent 2 hours talking with them at the desk about home, peculiarities we have observed about Boston, our time in college, sports and comedy. We learned a lot about our hosts and learned even more about Boston, which was very helpful for our stay. From that night forward we would stop by the desk on our way in for the night and talk with Hannie or Thelma for a few minutes, as they were so enjoyable and fun to talk to.

Even the doorman and bellman were looking out for us. My wife runs and was doing short runs every evening, late to meet a particular goal she had set for herself. When she runs at night she wears an illuminated reflective vest. One night as she was going out for her short run she had forgotten her reflective vest. The doorman noticed she didn’t have it and asked if she had forgotten it. She thanked him and returned to the room to get the vest before going out to run. It was these little touches that put the Commonwealth far above any other hotel we have ever been to.

The Hotel Commonwealth’s accommodations are quite luxurious and unique, but what really sets this hotel apart from the competition is its people. I will fondly remember my stay at the Commonwealth for a long time to come.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the building have a better view than the rear.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mtgops
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Hotel Commonwealth is such a lovely hotel located in such a convenient part of Boston. The staff, and especially Evan at the front desk, were so welcoming and helpful, it was like coming home every time I came back to the hotel. And what a comfortable bed!! I wish I could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo