“Great but expensive”
Review of Hotel Commonwealth

Hotel Commonwealth
Ranked #8 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. Great location if you are visiting BU or MIT. Staff is very helpful and friendly. Rooms are large and well appointed. If you are looking for a bargain, this isn't the hotel. It's expensive.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 925annonymous
FOManagerHC, Manager at Hotel Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear 925annonymous,

Thank you for your kind review about our staff and room product. We hope you will stay with us again soon.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Commonwealth

Reviewed November 13, 2013

When I booked the room, they promised a free upgrade if I posted about my stay on Facebook. When I arrived, they advised that they could not upgrade me, even though I had a certificate for a free upgrade. I requested to speak to the Manager, but one never appeared. Front desk female, Esther, was very unpleasant, rude, and condescending. I had requested early check-in, and was told it was not possible by this young lady. Two other guests checked in with the male front desk clerk while I was there, and they were given early check in on the spot. Very disappointed with this stay. The mattress was so old and saggy, that I left with a chronic back ache. Will not stay here again. Not worth the price. The Sheraton at the Prudential is by far a much better hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms that say they face Fenway Park, also face a very busy highway and an ugly parking lot.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Teresita G
Reviewed November 13, 2013

The hotel was central to the places we wanted to visit. The staff was extemely helpful and genuine. The room was very comfortable. We traveled on the city escape package which included valet parking and a gift certificate to a restaurant. Very convenient and enjoyable.

Room Tip: The room was a suite with a separate sitting area convenient for reading and relaxing away from the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Maureen M,

Kenmore Square allows easy access to everything Boston has to offer. I am happy that you were able to take advantage of this with our City Escape Package. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Everyone in the hotel was do cordial and helpful. It's an elegant , lovely hotel in a heart setting . The location near Boston Univ. And Fenwick stadium was perfect ! I would highly recommend it and look forward to returning !

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear Julievwells,

Thank you for posting a review about your stay with us. I am happy that you enjoyed our level of service and our location. We hope to see you again soon.

Regards,

Reviewed November 12, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at Hotel Commonwealth. Our room was spacious, clean and quiet. The hotel staff at the front desk were pleasant and helpful. Our only concern was what appeared like poor communication between the hotel staff and the porters and valets. We drove to the hotel in the early afternoon and after they unloaded the bags, we checked into our room and then headed out into Boston. We returned close to dinner time to get changed for a dinner reservation. When we went into our room, our bags were not there! We telephoned the front desk and they said they would have the bags sent up right away. About 20 minutes later, after another call to the front desk and a visit down to the desk, the bags were finally brought up to our room. Lucky we rushed and still made our dinner reservation! Before I checked out, I called the front desk to let them know I would be checking out in about 20 minutes and to have our car brought to the hotel entrance. The check out went smoothly with the front desk, but when we went out expecting to see our car, the valet had to still call to get the car and we waited around for about 10 minutes for our car to arrive.
I don't know if the hotel porters and staff were short handed on Veteran's Day, but there seemed to be slow communication between the front desk staff and the porters and valets. Other than this, my wife and I enjoyed our stay and will stay here again in the future.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear CLRF93,

Thank you for providing us with feedback about your stay. I apologize about the miscommunication you experienced between our associates. I have stressed with our front office team the importance of proper communication in order to provide flawless service. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We live and Maine and came to Boston to attend an alumni event.
We walked 2 mintues from the Kenmore T station with our wheely luggage.
Doormen were waiting to assist. Front staff pleasant and nice and gave us a complimentary
upgrade to a suite - we were pleased.
Room extremely clean and roomy, bathroom spotless and roomy.
We faced Commonwealth Avenue and did not hear any traffice, sirens or people.
I had an amazing hot shower with hard pressure of water on my back - so soothing.
We came back to our room with bed turned down and refreshed.
Next morning we went to breakfast at Eastern Standard (connected via a hallway from
the hotel).
The menu was small for breakfast - but food and service excellent.
Would highly recommend the hotel for cleaniless, friendliness, and definately for location.

Room Tip: We had room 320 - very nice sitting area and bedroom seperated by a large drape. NICE
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear shuffles123,

Thank you for your detailed review about your stay with us. I am thrilled you enjoyed the room upgrade that we were able to provide for you. We truly appreciate your recommendation and hope you will stay with us again soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed November 11, 2013

A very comfortable and generously sized room with excellent bed linens and pillows. The staff were attentive and helpful at all times. The excellent dining facilities of Eastern Standard is a real bonus adding immeasurably to our stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Lore987,

Thank you for your kind words about our staff and our in-room amenities. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.