“Great location, great staff!”
Review of Hotel Commonwealth

Hotel Commonwealth
Ranked #10 of 85 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Commonwealth because of all the great reviews and because of it's location near Fenway Park. It didn't hurt either that two of the highest rated restaurants in Boston are on the ground floor of this beautiful hotel. We were able to walk to all most of the city's most popular attractions and come back "home" to the welcoming staff and our spacious and spotless room. Look up Eastern Standard and the Island Creek Oyster Bar and you will get a sense for how well we dining too.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Boston and a lot of that is to the credit of this fine hotel and staff.

High recommended!

Room Tip: The Commonwealth Room is very spacious and overlooks Kenmore Square.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
FOManagerHC, Manager at Hotel Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear 4windsToronto,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We are very fortunate to have Eastern Standard and Island Creek Oyster Bar located within the hotel. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your time in Boston, and we hope to see you again soon.

Smcweeny@hotelcommonwealth.com

Write a ReviewReviews (4,562)

Reviewed September 23, 2013

From the moment my husband and I arrived at Hotel Commonwealth, we knew it was going to be a great experience. The staff was friendly and helpful and the hotel was beautiful. The fact that you had to have a key in order to activate the elevator also added to the feeling of being safe while there. The rooms were beautiful and the hotel was in the perfect location to everything. We would definitely stay at Hotel Commonwealth again and would recommend it to anyone traveling to Boston.

Room Tip: Kenmore room has a nice view of Fenway if you are a Red Sox fan!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
FOManagerHC, Manager at Hotel Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Alicia R,

Thank you very much for posting a review. I am happy to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your recommendation and hope you will join us again soon.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

This hotel exceeded our expectations particularly because of the knowledgeable concierge Nick and many of the staff, including Jeff who answered many inquiries as well. We enjoyed many of the recommendations on travel, restaurants and public transport and loved the location near Fenway and the subway but also close to the lovely shops along Newbury street. A very well maintained hotel!

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Mickey196,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am thrilled that you enjoyed our location along with our level of service. We are fortunate to have Nick and Jeff as part of our front office team. They are both very important to the success of Hotel Commonwealth. We hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

You can not find a better location if you're going to a Red Sox game. The hotel is really a gem. The beds are very comfortable, the staff very friendly. Whenever you call for anything, they address you by name. The best part, the shower is amazing! No dribbling water but a full on force of water that wakes you up-sounds silly but I was so impressed. And I loved the bath products. Eastern Standard with next store is also a major plus. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear TravelingFamilyCT,

Thank you very much for your review. Comfortable beds and an enjoyable shower are certainly important parts of any hotel stay. I am thrilled that you also enjoyed our level of service. We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We are from Australia and booked months ago from trip advisor reports.Being our first stay in the USA after a 22hour flight I wanted something comfortable .We have never been to Boston before so weren't sure where to stay .This hotel is a bit far out unless you're a baseball fan ,then it's perfect .On the nights of a game the tariff is $50 or $100 dearer it seems regardless of you're length of stay,in our case 4 nights..I think this should explained..The transit system is right out front so that's a plus.
The staff ,their willingness to assist deserve 10 out of 10 .
Our room was more than adequate size wise.The beds very comfortable..Bathroom and amenities excellent,Only complaint shower cold early evening .Air conditioning in room difficult to manage ,either too cold or not cold enough ,could be we couldn't operate .
Air conditioning in hallway felt like we were in Siberia.
We would choose somewhere else next time closer to say Beacon Hill or Copley Sq.
I have tried to write an objective review from a foreigners viewpoint who has no interest in baseball.

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking Commonwealth Ave unless you are a baseball fan and want to look onto...
1  Thank Pete056

Dear Pete056,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I appreciate your kind words about our staff; however I am sorry to hear that you will be choosing another hotel the next time you're in Boston. Please contact me at your earliest convenience as I would love to discuss the few opportunities you experienced further. I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

My husband and I visited Boston for a few days to attend a Red Sox game and tour Boston. We had room 505 with a view of Fenway Park. (The Fenway Room) We were on the top floor. The back of the hotel overlooks the parking lot for the hotel and the back of Fenway. It is a 15 min walk to Fenway and the shops. From the moment we arrived we were treated wonderfully. From the valet to the front desk where we checked in with Nick, the staff was always attentive and helpful. Nick was especially helpful with advice and directions. We asked for a fridge and a microwave and both were in our room when we arrived. The rooms are very clean and you get lots of pillows. We had a king size bed but you can get double Queen beds too. The hot water never ran out and was actually hot. The water pressure was great! (I have long hair and most places I have stayed it feels like it just drips on my head) They have Wi-Fi in the rooms and I never lost the signal. They also have a safe in the closet. There is no coffee maker in the rooms--but I read other reviews and just brought my own hot pot for morning tea. The Kenmore subway station is only a few feet from the entrance to the hotel--although we didn't use it (My husband has trouble with walking-he needs a knee) We did do the Trolley Tours though, and the stops for them are in the back of Fenway. A 15 min walk or a $5.00 cab ride. I would suggest never driving in Boston. They get you on parking and you have to pay because there is no street parking. GPS doesn't work very well either. The streets are a maze and the traffic is worse. The hotel is about 3-4 miles from the heart of Boston so you are not far. There is a fancy rest. next door and a 7-11 a few doors down. Uno's is on the corner and so is the Bank of America. There is also a McDonalds near the 7-11.
Al in all this is a great hotel. One of the best I have stayed in. They have the best staff too. I have been in pricier hotels that do not treat you half as nice as the staff at this hotel. Service and cleaniness are my top priorities when I travel and this hotel has both.

Dear Bonnie C,

Thank you very much for your detailed review about your recent stay with us. We truly appreciate all of your feedback. I am thrilled to read that our service and the cleanliness of our hotel met your expectations. Both of these aspects are important to all of our staff. We do also offer complimentary coffee makers upon request. Please feel free to contact me and I can add this note to your profile.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Firstly the lobby is up a flight of stairs and if you are unlucky not to get the attention of the porter can be quite difficult luggage wise. The Commonwealth is on direct route to Fenway Park, loud and rowdy crowds Friday and Sat to and from ball park cause a noise problem. No hot water in shower one moment then boiling hot the next, be very careful! . The restaurants(note main restaurant is actually part of bar and the other is an oyster bar) were both over crowded with little or no seating available most evenings. Very uninviting with pretty limited menu. Wifi did not work. No idea why this hotel has such good ratings as not worth money. We actually left day early,did not even bother asking for refund, and went to Hilton at the airport, much more comfortable, nice bar , quiet rooms and had good nights sleep.

Room Tip: Back of hotel may be a better choice.
1  Thank MandyAngaston

Dear MandyHopeIsland,

Thank you for sharing feedback about your stay with us. I am truly sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations and you experienced multiple opportunities while you were here. Please contact me at your earliest convenience as I would love to discuss your stay further. I can be reached at (617) 532-5055, or by email at Smcweeny@hotelcommonwealth.com.

I look forward to hearing from you.