“Gorgeous room and wonderful service”
Review of Hotel Commonwealth

Hotel Commonwealth
Ranked #8 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed at the Commonwealth Hotel for business for just 2 nights - far too short! After NY city hotels it was a delight! Friendly staff greeted me, the room was absolutely gorgeous - quiet, clean and room to work and relax. The gym was well equipped, the room service food was excellent and the advice on where to go to spend what little free time I had, was very good. I had a lovely meal next door at the Island Bay Oyster Bar - which the hotel staff booked for me. I would come and stay here again in a heartbeat, and will recommend it to family, friends and business colleagues. The location was also excellent - its proximity to both the airport and the financial district.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
FOManagerHC, Manager at Hotel Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Alison M,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Hotel Commonwealth for 5 days. The room was clean and roomy. Nice and quiet. Loved being right next door to the T. And having two great restaurants at the hotel is a definite plus. We ate at Eastern standard every day and were never disappointed. We liked it way better than Island Creek where we waited for 25 minutes with a reservation. (That always puts me in a foul mood). Jane and the staff at the front desk are the best you'll ever find! The guys at the front door are really nice - welcoming us back each and every time.

The reason we are not giving a 5 star rating is mostly because of the lack of amenities in comparison to executive suites in other major cities. You would think that if you pay $459 a night (plus taxes!) you could have coffee available in he hotel. They have water at the front desk, which is nice, but thats about all you'll find. We would go to McDonald's or 7-11 each morning. Not the end if he world but an inconvenience, for sure. Most luxury hotels include breakfast for that price! The hotel will provide a Keurig at your request. I think management needs to pay attention to all the times customers are writing about this; should be easy to fix.

Also, we kept losing the computer connection. Someone came to the room with an Ethernet cable - thinking it was the wireless connection. It wasn't. It happened with the direct connection as well.

The workout room was adequate.

You will enjoy your stay at Hotel Commonwealth.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear iliketotravel123,

Thank you very much for providing us with feedback. I am thrilled you enjoyed your room and our level of service at the front desk. Thank you for your feedback about the internet connection. I can assure you that this issue is being taken care of. We hope to be able to serve you again soon.

Regards,

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Superior staff and lodging. Shop for the best rate, then book it. You will not be disappointed. We came up for a weekend Red Sox series and the staff put us in a beautiful room overlooking Fenway Park. My new favorite in Boston!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Dirk6460,

Thank you for your kind review. I hope the Red Sox were able to win the game while you were at Fenway! We hope to see you for another game soon.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

This was our second stay at this hotel. The staff is very friendly and courteous. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The location is great. What more can I say. This is now our first choice of places to stay whenever we visit Boston.

Room Tip: Both times we stayed the rooms were great.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Robert D,

We are happy to be your first choice in Boston! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

The hotel and rooms were lovely, but here's what I found sub-par: No coffee in the room; promised turn-down service never happened; electricity was out for six hours with no forewarning upon arrival (when they knew it was going to be out); front-desk staff unfamiliar with the city (they told me my meeting was a 5-10 minute walk, when it was actually nearly 30 -- I hobbled into my meeting 10 minutes late, sweating, with bloody feet from my non-walking shoes); front desk staff suggested I use a ticket scalper, rather than helping me get tickets for a non-sold-out Red Sox game. They also overcharged me for my room, and were unhelpful when I asked for my refund.

Room Tip: Loved my room that overlooked Fenway.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TravelGirl4945

Dear TravelGirl4945,

I apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. We do offer complimentary coffee makers upon request. Please contact me at your earliest convenience and I can add this note to your profile. I would also like to discuss your stay further with you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards,

Director Of Operations

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Great hotel in a great location, so glad we picked this over all others. Our room was large, clean, comfortable and just excellent overall. The staff is great, but Frankie is the best! Do yourself a favor and stay here.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear jsuter,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very fortunate to have Frankie at our front door! We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Very nice hotel, very convinient to restaurant and oyster bar. Our check in was excellent with an upgraded room. The room was spacious with a separate seating area with big windows. The room was very well appointed and clean. The bathroom had separate toilet area, with marble counters, and makeup mirror, very tasteful. After arriving in the room we immediately went out for oysters, I personally hate them...doesn't most women? LOL, anyway my husband loves them so we went next door and apparently several other people love them also, the island creek oyster bar is the place to go, top notch! Now, off to the game. By the time we arrived back at the hotel, 11:30pm and the guys decide they need more oysters! Did not spend much time in our lovely room, and the power went out about 3:30am. I do have to say the pillows and the bed were very comfy, and had the best nights sleep in years. The only down side was the power outage, being an early riser, 5:30am, I had to feel my way around the bathroom and it was very dark, so my shower was not as nice as I wanted, and made everything a bit less pleasant, fumbling around the room. Thank God for the big windows for light. Needless to say we left early. What I did find strange was no apology for our inconviences upon checkout. I know blackouts can be hard on the staff, but they seemed distant at the front desk, hardly acknowleded me walking through lobby twice looking for a place to get coffee, that's why not excellent for me on this trip, but definitely would return.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
FOManagerHC, Manager at Hotel Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear paulabc2,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback about your stay. I apologize that the staff engagement at checkout was not up to our standards. We will certainly work to correct this. I would love to discuss your stay further, please contact me at your earliest convenience.