Hotel Commonwealth
  • Breakfast included
Average 3/5
    Good 3.5/5
    4,628 results
    All reviewseastern standardfenway parkisland creek oyster barkenmore squarefenway roomboston universityfront deskred sox gamejunior suitehouse of bluesroom servicegreen linefavorite hotelwonderful hotelsitting areathe entire staffroom was spacious
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed May 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Commonwealth 5/1-5/5/2013. After reading all of the positive reviews I called the hotel to book the room mentioning that we were going for our anniversary. They responded by upgrading us to a junior suite and, after checking in and strolling around for a few minutes, we returned to the room to find an iced bottle of bubbly and two glasses waiting for us. This shows the type of extra care and attention the staff gives to their guests.

The hotel is located in a convenient location with a subway station below it that provides easy access to all of Boston. We used the subway and our legs to reach all of the places we could squeeze into our short stay and had a great time. Although the hotel is located on a busy street with a freeway and Fenway Park on the other side, the room was totally quiet. They have done a great job of restoring and soundproofing the property.

There are three bar/restaurants on the property. The food and service at Eastern Standard was great. It is a very popular restaurant so reservations for dinner are needed. We finished every evening with cognac at the Hawthorne. The Hawthorne is located on the lower level of the hotel behind a plain white door that only has "500-A" on it, which opens to great drinking experience. Jackson Cannon, the owner and Bar Director of the Hawthorne, paid special attention, recommending new cognacs and even gave us two of their cognac glasses on our last night. Not sure about what food they serve here, but Jackson served us some of their in-house made macaroons which were a wonderful touch.
    Overall, one of the best hotel stays we have ever had. Would highly recommend as the #1 place to stay in Boston.

Room Tip: Call and talk to the staff to be sure you get the room you want
    • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
    1  Thank melissa r
    FOManagerHC, Manager at Hotel Commonwealth, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Melissa r,

We really appreciate your kind review about our hotel and restaurants. I really hope we were able to make your anniversary visit extra special. Jackson does a great job at the Hawthorne and we are very fortunate to have him as part of the team. Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to seeing you again.

Warm regards,

Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

We spent five unforgettable nights at this hotel. The room was large and immaculate. The room service offered restaurant quality food and the service was beyond any expectation. I wish I could stay there all the time...

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear mnt199,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your five night stay with us. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I was greeted at the door by a friendly door man who introduced himself and helped me with my luggage. Then reception was very customer friendly too. Room was superb. Then breakfast, once again very friendly and customer oriented. Very tasty breakfast. Check out was a breeze with the receipt emailed to me directly so I didnt have to carry that in my luggage.
    Thanks again, much looking forward to my next stay with you!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear Paulien m,

Thank you very much for your review. We look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

As others have said this is a fantastic hotel, definitely worth the high ratings. First, let me comment that when I made the reservations I requested a pet-free room, as the hotel is pet-friendly. My allergies have given me problems in the past so I'm always weary of pet-friendly hotels. Upon check-in I asked to verify that we had a pet-free room and the staff informed me that the room had been thoroughly steam cleaned to accommodate my request. This cleaning was evident as soon as we entered the room, which was completely immaculate and my allergies gave me no issues. It's nice to see a hotel take a request seriously and strive to keep their guests comfortable.

We stayed one night in a Kenmore room, which was quite large for a city hotel. No road noise, beds were very comfortable and had feather pillows. Bathroom was large and well appointed. Staff was friendly and attentive and we used the valet without any problems. We ate a late dinner and breakfast at the Eastern Standard and the food and drinks were very good (and we're foodies). There's also subway stop right outside the hotel, which is quite convenient. Overall a great hotel, very clean, well maintained, great staff, we'll definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Jeff128,

Thank you for your kind review. It is our pleasure to take care of guest requests and I am happy that the room did not give your allergies any issues. Kenmore is a great location for exploring the city. We look forward to seeing you again.

Warm regards,

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Great hotel! Room was large, clean and fresh. (my spouse is very picky about cleanliness, and loved it!) Very friendly staff. All were warm and accomodating. A complimentary Keurig coffee-maker was a special treat. Great view of Fenway Park. Even though we were a block from the highway, the room was amazingly quiet! Had an excellent meal at Eastern Standard Restaurant, directly off the hotel lobby. Subway station right outside the door, very convenient. Very easy to get to the Mass Pike.

Room Tip: Even though we were next to the elevator, room was VERY quiet. Any room will do!
    • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
    1  Thank CH-Glastonbury-CT

Dear SomewhatHappy…,

It is great to hear that the cleanliness of our hotel was up to your spouse’s standards and that you enjoyed so many other aspects of your stay. Eastern Standard is fantastic restaurant, I am thrilled you were able to dine there.