“Hotel and staff great. Restaurant? Take your ear plugs.”
Review of Hotel Commonwealth

Hotel Commonwealth
Ranked #11 of 86 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed December 8, 2012

For the most part, we enjoyed our overnight stay at the hotel. It's a great location for all Boston activities, with an envious view of Fenway Park. From check in onward, the hotel staff were courteous and efficient. We were celebrating a birthday and within ten minutes of checking into our room we had a bottle of bubbly and chocolates delivered, compliments of the hotel. Nice touch. We also needed to call for help to get the radio to work and engineering staff was on the spot in minutes. Good job by the hotel staff.
BUT when we went to the Eastern Standard Restaurant for what we expected to be a leisurely, quiet dinner, we were not pleased. The room was filled with after work diners and drinkers, and the noise level was horrible. With a a room full of socializing young people, the restaurant added LOUD background music (who wants to listen to old Rod Stewart tracks over dinner?).
In order to talk over the background music the diners had to raise their own noise level. We could barely hear our conversation across the table. The dinner food was good, but not superior., and not up to what I expected. The service was excellent. There were so many things about dinner that were annoying that I started to write notes on the paper table covering, yes, a paper table top. Fine dining? I don't think so.
Next morning at breakfast, the smoked salmon turned out to be Lox which was too salty to eat.
Overall, the hotel and staff were great, polite and efficient.
Restaurant staff were excellent.
Food? Good, the Flat Iron Steak was perfect, but restaurant ambience and atmosphere? Needs improvement. We loved the hotel, but next time we'll go out to eat.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,579)

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I was in Boston for one night. The room was immaculately clean, all staff was attentively friendly, and my late checkout request was accommodated. Valet service was also very fast. Could not recommend this hotel more highly. When you walk in the lobby, you feel awesome immediately, and my stay still has me feeling awesome. I especially liked the huge curtain in the room that could be closed to separate the bed area from the desk/chairs area - this would be beneficial if I was staying with other people.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Excellent Hotel and Restaurant !! Great service and location. Quiet and very clean !!
This place is amazing and a gem in Boston ! Impeccable attention to detail and service with out being too stuffy !!

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I love to be able to stay away from the major hotel chains and get a local flavor for my surroundings. The Hotel Commonwealth is quaint, yet substantial in service and amenities. I loved my room -- very practical with a small sitting area and places to charge all of my electronics. The bathroom was spacious and very clean with wonderful products to use in the shower. The bed was super comfy and the room was quiet. The views are outstanding and the location is convenient to the T and my business was at BU so it was perfect. I would think if it were baseball season this would be the perfect location for a fun time at historic Fenway Park. Overall, a great experience and I would recommend this to anyone travelling to Boston.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

We visited with our daughter at BU. Went to Christmas at Fenway and did dinner and a show. Wonderfully appointed confortable room, allowed us to sleep in.

Walking right out of the hotel to the T was great. Very easy to get anywhere in Boston in minutes.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

We recently stayed at the Hotel Commonwealth to visit our son at Boston University. The hotel is in a great location. We have stayed at other hotels in Boston but this by far was the best! The staff was attentive and helpful. The atmosphere and breakfast at Eastern Standard (attached to the hotel) was wonderful! We will definitely return.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We celebrated our 22 wedding anniversary at the Hotel Commonwealth this year and what a fine place this is! Great room overlooking Kenmore Sq (we upgraded from the Fenway rooms and the view is much better). I checked in first and mentioned we were on our anniversary and we were in town to celebrate that and go to a concert at the House of Blues (about a fifteen minute walk). After I went to the T to get my wife we went back to the room and within minutes were very surprised to get a knock at the door... complimentary champagne and chocolates! Very nice! The service was the best I have seen, very friendly, helpful, went out of their way for us! Great checkout time of noon! Always like that! Room was huge, large bathroom, a mini suite of sorts. Will definitely be back. We have stayed in several Boston hotels and this is the best there is.

Room Tip: Get a Kenmore room or a Commonwealth room. These have a great view of bustling Kenmore Sq. The Fen...