“Beautiful spaces and people”
Review of Hotel Commonwealth

Hotel Commonwealth
Ranked #10 of 85 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I LOVE his hotel! The rooms are the biggest that I have seen in Boston, some of the most comfortable beds that I have slept in, and the concierge Sam remembered my name every time I walked by. Everyone was so friendly, really made me feel like I was home away from home. I stayed in a Commonwealth room that had it's own sitting room attached. One of those hotel rooms that I wish was my apartment.

Room Tip: Ask for a Commonwealth Room, they are bigger
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Stephanie S
Write a ReviewReviews (4,561)

Reviewed June 4, 2012

I did quite a bit of research before booking our accomodations at the Hotel Commonwealth. We were warmly and professionally greeted by several personable doormen and the desk associates were more than accomodating. Our room was a Fenway room and had an incredible view of Fenway Park. The beds are comfortable, maid service is spotless and our one experience with early in the morning concierge service was with Phillip McDonald who, while not the hotel's congierge, was informative, full of information and more than happy to help us. This hotel is located in Kenmore Square and is perfect start anywhere you want to go in Boston. I was so sad to leave Boston and felt that our stay at the Hotel Commonwealth was a treat I will long to repeat. I can't stress enough how this hotel is five star in our book and hope to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Spent 3 nights in what is the equivalent of a junior suite....prices apparently fluctuate depending on the red sox schedule -- the hotel is very close to fenway. room was spacious, bed was terrific, amenities were what one expects for $300-400/night. staff was gracious -- very friendly, helpful, and low keyed. room was kept clean... turn down service... no surprises at check out. location is terrific -- a T is right outside the door. two very good restaurants on the property and others just a quick walk away... slight "flaws" prevent a 5 circle rating: glasses were not always cleared from the room until the desk was notified, a request for a second bed for a night required several calls to get it set up, there was no orientation to the room... a coffee maker required several calls... the in-room refrigerator could not be used for anything other than the mini bar items belonging to the hotel..... but again, when a request was made to resolve or rectify these issues, they were done without complaint. i recommend this hotel and would certainly stay there again.....

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We took our graduating senior on a baseball trip and hit four ballparks in seven days. Our two nights at the Hotel Commonwealth and games at Fenway were definitely the highlight! The room was very spacious and the view of Fenway was an added bonus. We will definitely recommend the hotel and will stay there when we return.

Room Tip: We had a Fenway double queen and it was perfect for our family of four.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 4, 2012

This hotel was highly recommended by friend and locals or we would not have stayed here. In the end it was a great experience. We upgraded to the suite when we go there and it made a big difference - right on Kenmore Square is very central and easy access to the T.
There are literally three very different restaurants and/or bars connected to the hotel but you would never know it. We went to the two close in (Oyster and a little place underneath) and they were fabulous. They only issue we had while there was minor - the integrated internet and cable didn't work but they quickly responded and wired an external cable. Also, never found the remote to the stereo either and it appeared to require it. These are non-issues to me.

Highly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2012

My boyfriend and I just returned from a wonderful Boston weekend where we stayed at the Hotel Commonwealth. We stayed Friday and Saturday evening at the hotel as this was the "home base" for the wedding festivities. Overall, the service, location, and ambiance of the hotel was top notch. Our room was on the 5th (top) floor and our hotel room window overlooked Fenway Park. The bathroom amenities included the brand "Fresh" soaps, shampoo, etc which is a very, very nice. We asked the front desk staff for some Saturday brunch recommendations and the staff was extremely accommodating and went over and above by calling a few nearby restaurants for us and writing the restaurant info down for us.

Additionally, there are 2 restaurants and 1 bar located in the hotel. We had drinks Saturday night a The Hawthorne bar which was more lounge style and very comfortable with hand-crafted cocktails. The other two restaurants in the hotel, particularly Eastern Standard, is highly recommended by my local friends, but unfortunately we did not have time to try it out on this stay.

I also did a quick workout in the hotel gym. The gym has a few treadmills, free weights, floor mats, etc. While it's not a huge gym, it has the basic equipment anyone would need for a workout.

The location of the hotel was perfect for us. A T train stop is just outside and the overall neighborhood is an upscale residential area, but just a few short blocks away is Newberry Street with plenty of shops and restaurants.

Overall, while the room rate may be a bit of a splurge depending on your budget, for me I think it was worth every penny.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a room overlooking Fenway Park available.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MTrav
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I recently stayed at the Hotel Commonwealth for a long weekend in Boston, and loved it! Kenmore Square has really come up in the world. The Hotel Commonwealth is an ideal spot to stage your Boston weekend. It's footsteps from the Kenmore Square T station and a lovely stroll through the Back Bay to downtown Boston. My suite (they gave me an upgrade!) was spacious and comfortable, and they provided the extra housekeeping touches you would expect from a high end property. For example, when I returned to my room early in the evening, my ice bucket was full. The restaurant/room service was a bit limited, but you have so many options in Kenmore Square, it really doesn't matter. Being in the heart of BU was fun for me, as an alum. This will be my first choice for a hotel for future visits.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo