“Great stuff, terrible customer service” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #70 of 140 Shopping in Boston
Boston, Massachusetts
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Great stuff, terrible customer service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2012

First of all let me state as a tourist, you should visit this store. It's got some truly unique and interesting products, and should be part of your shopping in the south end -- boston's most interesting neighborhood for shopping.

They carry lots of modern, many Dutch, homegoods like candles, votive holders, glassware, plates and some furniture, as well as a well -edited selection of Blomus products.

The stock doesn't turn over very often, but that's not much of an issue for a casual tourist.

Now, the customer service:

The store staff are standoffish to the point of being rude. I have only been talked to by anyone there a couple times in MANY visits, so that the last time someone said "Hi, how are you?" i was so startled I didn't even reply. My partner has gone in, stood there and stared at the staff wanting to ask a question, and been ignored to the point he walked out with out making the purchase he was ready to make.

I don't like overbearing staff. But "Hi! Let me know if I can help you with anything" is not a lot to ask, and goes along way towards making the customer want to buy from you.

For a specific example of utterly bungled customer service:

A year or two ago, i bought a small glass beside water carafe with a small cup that sat in the top as a lid. I keep my mouthwash in it, and love love love it. Recently i broke it.

So I want into Lekker my partner asked the staff about it, and the person there wasn't sure what item we were talking about, but offered to speak to the owner and have someone get back to us. So i gave him a business card with a sketch of the item on the back.

That was almost 3 weeks ago, and i never heard back from anyone.

I emailed them on Monday with a photo i took of the item using a (hard to find) contact email on their website. I have not heard a peep back. (And he message did not bounce back.)

Contrast this with Hudson around the corner - We bought another carafe from them, and after having it for a week or two, noticed a crack in the cap/cup. We took it back, and the replaced it, no questions, no hassle.

According to Lekker's own website, Lekker is Dutch for "alluring, enticing and tempting." This store's customer service is anything but.

UPDATE: The evening I posted this, I got a note from one of the co-owners of Lekker addressing each part, and admitting "We're a small business that sometimes makes big mistakes. We only ask that we be given the opportunity to remedy them." So my 1-star stands because it shouldn't take a bad Yelp review to get a reply, but credit for finally getting back to me and addressing the criticism.

If i was visiting from out of town and found something i wanted as a gift, i'd definately get it here, but seeing as the customer service is so bad, i'd never order something from them to be shipped home.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank Sluggo65

1 review from our community

Been to Lekker? Share your experiences!