“Best BBQ in Boston”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fenway / Kenmore
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Besides Red Bones in Davis Square, barbecue in Boston definitely is limited so I was pumped when I heard about Sweet Cheeks. Four of us went there last night and we were impressed with most of the dishes. Biscuits and their homemade butter were ridiculously good, and hush puppies were pretty good. The sides were pretty impressive; the beans were the best I've ever had and both salads are tasty, my wife loved the broccoli casserole. Fried chicken was very solid although could have been more crispy, ribs were perfectly cooked and tender but definitely underseasoned. I definitely would like to know what kind of rub/sauce was used for the ribs. The briscuit was hands down the best I've ever had; juicy, tender, delicious. If you are comparing Red Bones to Sweet Cheeks, the briscuit is no contest and I recommend that everyone give it a shot. BBQ sauces on table were pretty good but nothing spectacular. Overall, very impressive meal, huge portions that make the price worth it.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have been to SC about a dozen times since it opened (several times or takeout). It's crazy that I'm a fan-I rarely eat met-but when the craving hits or my carnivore co-workers head out, I am there! For take out, I order by phone to avoid a substantial wait, opting for ribs and a serving of pulled pork. One of the downsides of takeout is you only get to choose one or two sauces. If you dine in, there are a bunch of delicious sauce choices on the picnic tables. The restaurant is spacious and noisy, so good for raucous but not romantic. The entrees are huge and come with amazing sides, salads, mac, BBQ beans (must have). I always leave the slices of Wonder Bread that comes with the meal (I try to tell the sever to hold). The mixed drinks are surprisingly good, and there are specials. Desserts? I have never ordered one-couldn't possibly manage-but one evening when we had a group the server brought us a complimentary monster peanut butter cookie concoction that was outrageous (good). My neighborhood favorite remains Red Bones at Davis Square, but Sweet Cheeks is certainly worth a visit.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

I love BBQ and yet to find a great place in Boston. I heard Sweet Cheeks had excellent food and while I enjoyed it, it wasn't fantastic. First off I got ribs which were cooked perfectly and fell off the bone but they're plain, not cooked in sauce. You have 3 sauces to choose from, spicy, apple maple and sweet tangy which are in squeeze bottles at your table. You just coat the ribs after they come out so they're not cooked into the meat. VERY disappointing sauces, I wasn't a huge fan of any of them and I typically like most BBQ sauces.

The restaurant itself wasn't esthetically pleasing. Tables close together, no real feel of a fun BBQ type of restaurant. The coleslaw I got as a side was AWFUL but the mac and cheese and broccoli/cheese casserole were very good. The drinks were fun and came in fun can-type glasses. They have a bunch of original drinks, the two that we tried were quite tasty.

Overall if you're not a BBQ sauce fan I would suggest this place since they cook the ribs well, fun drinks and they have decent side dishes.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Wow! I kind of knew this place would be great because of Tiffani being on Top Chef. She was one of my faves, especially because she was from Beantown!

Everyone asked me how it compares to Red Bones in Davis Sq. and, to be honest, this gives them a bit of a run for their money. That said, they are different styles. Sweet Cheeks is sort of nouveau Q. Red Bones will always take the cake though.

Ok, so, we got there in the nick of time because 5 minutes after we arrived, the line was out the door. It was just before 1 PM on a Sunday. We were greeted and seated right away. I kind of wanted to sit at the window bar seats but it was our first time so we sat at a table.

It is "family" seating in that all the tables are pushed together and you sit right next to the other guests. I like that because we were all raving to each other about how good the food was. The service was fantastic. We had Jake and he was perfectly attentive.

2 words for a beverage ... Sweet Tea! Best I've had. Perfectly sweetened and brewed right there. It's served in a big mason jar with fresh lemons. We didn't have any beer but I heard theirs are great.

We had the hush puppies for an app and they were overcooked on the outside but the inside was still moist and it comes with a nice, creamy dipping sauce.

I had the shank and my friends had the buttermilk fried chicken and pulled pork platters. We all had the farmer's salad and it was soooo good! I even liked the Brussels sprouts! It had hazelnuts and aged cheddar, red grapes, bitter greens and perfectly dressed.

The meat was sliding off the shank and was not overly fatty at all. I've had some where you spend most of your time trimming the fat so I was happy about the quality. I tried the chicken and pulled pork and bother were great.

They have a variety of BBQ sauces but we only had 2 because they were running low. Kind of a bummer. We had the regular BBQ and the hot BBQ. Both were delicious with just the right amount of punch.

The chicken, while delicious and you can really taste the buttermilk, wasn't as crispy as I like. Not soggy, just not really crispy.

The mac 'n cheese is divine. Rich, creamy, has a little punch to it and it comes in a metal coffee mug. Like the ones you'd use sitting around a fire. Utensils and napkins are in tin cans on the table and you're completely self sufficient so you don't have to wait for anything extra napkins, which you'll need after you lick your fingers clean. :-)

Dessert ... holy mother of God! The homemade butterscotch pudding is like nothing I have ever had before. It was heaven in a cup. It had fresh caramel over the top ... just amazing. It was so creamy but not too rich. I loved it. We also tried their peanut butter cookie sandwich with whipped peanut butter filling. Again, like nothing I've ever had before. The cookies are big rounds and thin and really crunchy. It was like a floating cloud in my mouth. Light and delicious. The butterscotch serving is good for 2 people, with a bite or 2 for a 3rd. The cookie is good for 4 or 5 people. It's pretty big.

We will definitely be a regular there.

I had asked the manager where they get their meats and she said they try to stay local but do get a lot from Vermont. She didn't have a list but gave me her card so I could email her and find out more.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

This place has incredible barbeque, almost as good as the down home places I've been in Texas and Georgia. The sampler platter allows you to try all of their different barbequed meats, along with the various sauces and sides that come with. You will not leave this restaurant hungry! Everything is stick-to-your-ribs delicious. The pulled pork is my particular favorite, but nothing I've tried has disappointed me. I wish that they made the jalapeno cornbread without jalapenos, as an option, but that's my only complaint. Otherwise - it's the perfect location for a fun night out with friends.