“A new way to see Boston”

Boston Harbor Mini Speed Boats, Inc.
More attraction details
Owner description: Captain your own mini speedboat as you navigate Boston Harbor while following our knowledgeable instructor. During your excursion you’ll pass many historical sites such as; the Tea Party Ship and Museum, USS Constitution, Nantucket Light Ship, JFK Library, Fort Independence and many more harbor sites. The adventure starts out nice and slow, this will give you time to get familiar with the boat and its operation. Once we pass the no wake zone, it’s time to pick up the speed and have some FUN as we navigate our way to JFK library, Fort Independence and pass many small islands. On the return, we’ll once again enter the no wake zone and view the Nantucket Light Ship, USS Constitution, Charlestown Navy Yard and Boston’s iconic Zakim Bridge. It’s the most unique way to see Boston…it’s PURE FUN! Bring your camera and cherish the memories. We have a limited number of boats for each adventure, don’t miss out…reserve your boat soon.
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Booked this excursion on Groupon. Had no idea this even existed. When you get there they give you a quick rundown on safety etc and then outfit you with vests. They go over operation of the boats and off you go. 50hp motors drive the tiny boats through the harbor and you follow your tour guide that points out interesting sites and facts via 2 way hand held radios. Overall the ride was about 90 minutes long. There were only 2 couples so that and the guide made 3 boats. We left at 10am on a Monday and it was a very calm morning so we had great space to really fly around. Great time all in all and if you go, don't forget to tip your guide!

3  Thank 908justinz
There are newer reviews for Boston Harbor Mini Speed Boats, Inc.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

This was a great way to have a tour around Boston - although our camera did get wet on the experience and stopped working. A bit scary at times - but my 15 year loved it.

1  Thank 0713Elianne
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This attraction is highly rated and deservedly so. Used a Groupon for about $75. Regular rate is around $125 Made phone reservations 1 month in advance. I overheard some calls trying to make same day reservations and were told they were fully booked on this hot, Saturday day.
Arrived 1/2 hr early to fill out paperwork and sign waivers. Entrance to dock is to the right of the Aquarium and Imax thearter. Down a few steps, look for a fenced in cage that leads to the water. There are a few signs by the cage. There may also be a bright yellow boat in the water that is not being used. Employees can see if someone is standing at the gate and will let you in, as the entrance is locked
The other reviews for this excursion are very accurate. I wont duplicate what they say, but here are a few tips that may not have been mentioned before.
(1) Parking at the Boston Harbor Hotel off of milk street was $35 for the day
(2) There are no bathrooms at the dock or in the parking garage. There is a bathroom on level 2 of the Imax Theater and there is a Legal Seafoods close by as well.
(3) Bring water and sunscreen on a hot day.
(4) I was the passenger on the boat and for the last part of the trip was really getting soaked from the waist up. A towel would have helped to dry my face and wipe off my sunglasses.
(5) You can bring a small bag or purse which left on the floor by your feet should not get very wet.
(6) Either ask the group leader to take a picture of you before leaving the dock or carefully pull up to another boat while group is stopped and pass camera to them to take your picture. The boats are too small to take pictures of each other, but pictures of the scenery/Boston Harbor is no problem.
(7) I'm 6ft2" and 250 lbs. There was plenty of room to sit, but if you are bigger like me, try to keep your legs closer to your seat, and not towards the front of the boat. When driving over waves, you are actually lifted off your seat and I banged my legs a few times. My smaller driver, did not have that problem.
(8) We were required to stay in single file while in the water. On the 1st part of our trip, we were behind a boat whose driver was very tentative to pull the throttle all the way and go fast. She was constantly slowing down when we wanted to go full speed. I recommend you either be the last boat in line or try to determine who wont hesitate to go fast, so when the time comes you can maximize your speed.
(9) At full speed, the tip of the boat raises to a 12 o clock position and as a driver sometimes it was hard to see where you were going. If you are on the small height size, again a towel might help raise you up a few inches to see better.

We totally enjoyed the experience. Our group leader Cody and his staff was great. Safety first is his main concern. You wont remember the narrative's about the sites after the tour is over. You will remember your butt lifting off your seat and the "thud" sound your boat makes as it hits the waves in the water. I thought the 90 minutes was just enough time. i'll make it a point to try this again soon.

3  Thank Hugh_C_11
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I took my 13 year old son on this tour and it was a blast. Time flew by and my son thanked me for not taking him on a traditional harbor cruise this trip.

We felt safe and received just enough narration on the tour. If you are looking for an in-depth narrated tour (yawn), this is not the tour for you. If you want to have fun, this is a must do.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband and I took our 7-year daughter on this tour and we had an amazing time. Neither of us had driven a boat before but the guys do a great job in getting you up to speed and making sure you feel comfortable. Our guide was absolutely hysterical (he speaks to you over walkie talkie) and really made the experience first rate. My husband took our daughter in his boat and I took my own. The day we went out the water was more choppy than usual so we ended up a bit more wet than expected but still a great time. I'd definitely recommended bringing a change of clothes or wearing clothes that dry fast. Overall incredibly fun and just a really different way to experience the city of Boston!

1  Thank JenC0330