“Great Small Plates-Tough to Get a Reservation”
Review of Trade

Trade
Ranked #210 of 3,229 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Boston
“Great Small Plates-Tough to Get a Reservation”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Very hard to get into for lunch, so make sure you have reservations. Ditto dinner-unless you come early and sit at the bar. This is the brainchild of Rialto's Jody Adams--and the small plates/ flatbreads/pastas are terrific. I have no criticism at all-so, for a casual meal in a hip urban loft-like space-you can do no better.

Visited January 2013

Boston, MA
“Excellent inventive menu, great service”
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

We were apprehensive to make a reservation here based on all the bad reviews regarding service. Great food can get lost in bad service. So it was to our great surprise and delight that we can report a fantastic meal with equally good service. We had relatives here from out of town and it was my birthday so wanted to go somewhere fun and new. The menu here is excellent. We love the small plates because they offer so many different opportunities, yet there are plenty of entree size portions for the bigger eaters. We started with an order of the scallops in wasabi -- perfectly cooked with just the right amount of zip. Excellent dish. My son had the avocado small plate and loved it. We also had the fried oysters on whole wheat waffle with spicy cream sauce -- totally outstanding. Not large but good for about 4-5 bites. Favors melded perfectly. Entrees we tried included the lamb flatbread, which was very good. Gooey and cheesy and the lamb sausage is excellent. My cousin had the baked stuffed lobster and although it is unusual to have with root vegetables, she was a huge fan. Others at the table had the lamb shank, and their reviews were excellent (and my taste can confirm!) For dessert, the ginger bread with ice cream was simple, small and a delightful send off. The baked Alaska was a huge hit with several of our diners.

Our experience with the service was outstanding, so I was surprised, given other reviews. Our helper was knowledgable, offered great suggestions and was very prompt and polite. No complaints here (and I can complain with the best of them, trust me).

I would highly recommend this restaurant based on our experience. My only complaint is that the noise level is high and it is very hard to hear. Probably not a big problem for the 30 year old crowd they seem to cater to, but it is a downer for those hoping to have a conversation at their dinner table without having to shout.

I would return, but will seek out a quiet corner. Worth trying!

“Go for drinks”
Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

The ambiance is very nice, with the high ceilings, and modern decor. The menu is very small and food is not what you pay for. Overall greasy food, not tasteful.
The patrons are mostly a business crowd, so it's an option for a happy hour if you are nearby, but I would not get out of my way just to go there.

Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
“Great Food, Great Service”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I held a private, corporate event at the restaurant. The flatbread pizzas were amazing, they couldn't make them fast enough! It was great that they were making them fresh. The passed hors d'oeuvres were delicious as well. Service was great and drinks that the bartenders made were good. Our signature drink for the event was extremely original and delicious. Would love to go back and experience dinner.

• Visited November 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Is there a zero rating for service?”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Not much to say. Most unfriendly staff of all time. It is almost like candid camera. Are they providing bad service just to see your reaction. Need new customer service training program.

Been to Trade? Share your experiences!