“3rd time - and still my choice!”

Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel
Ranked #17 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle
“3rd time - and still my choice!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2007

This last time (the third time I've stayed at the Nine Zero), I had actually been booked into another hotel by the travel department at my company. That hotel, however, lost my reservation. To top it off, it was the weekend of St. Patrick’s Day - not the time to be looking for a hotel! That hotel called NineZero and verified that not only did they have rooms, but at a discount price! I finally got settled, had excellent room service after midnight, and came home each night to soft jazz playing on the CD player. Great experience and very convenient to downtown activities. I let the concierge decide what seafood restaurant to eat at each night and tell me where the best night spots were. Great picks each time.

• Liked — Contemporary Art Deco look and excellent service
  • Disliked — Views can be hit-and-miss
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank jbond1007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2007

Great location, good price, nice brand new hotel right by Boston Common.

Booked with their central reservation and got the best deal. Friendly welcoming staff. Very quiet rooms, even though the hotel was fully booked didn't hear anyone in my room and only saw one person on the elevator.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — $38 parking
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gerry23
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2007

Have stayed here twice for business, and have had nothing but good experiences. The staff was wonderful - attentive and knowledgeable, arranging for transportation and recommending and good bar in the vicinity. The lobby was small, but beautifully designed. As I entered the room, soft music played on the Bose machine. The contemporary decor was streamlined and elegant without being cold. The bathroom was spacious and clean.

Stayed February 2007
3 Thank WJ912001
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2007

I read others' reviews of this hotel on this site and was looking forward to spending two nights here while I was in Boston on business. Some things about the hotel were great -- the night I arrived, for example, I did not get to the hotel until 1:30 am and had not had dinner -- room service quickly brought me sandwich and a pot of tea and I was grateful! Their internet access was excellent, wake-up calls flawless, and their staff was invariably polite. The room was comfortable, with many nice amenities and extras, including a CD player. I liked the decor a lot. Their express dry cleaning service was super.

A few negative experiences, however: (1) The room was not as clean as it should have been, particularly the bathroom -- it did not meet the standards of a standard business class hotel like a Hilton or Hyatt. The walls were dirty, the sink and floor in the bathroom had splotches and sticky patches, the drinking glasses were dirty, the upholstery and carpet had spots and stains, and the bathrobes were frayed and worn; (2) On the second morning, I ordered a french omelette off their room service menu, as I had done the day before. Twenty minutes later, I got a call from room service asking me what the ingredients were for a french omelette. I told the person that I wasn't sure exactly but didn't they know since it was on their menu? She told me that the french omelette was not on their menu. I told her that I had ordered the same thing the day before from their menu, which was sitting in front of me! 45 minutes after I initially ordered, my french omelette did arrive -- and was delicious as usual -- but this was an annoying interlude on a busy morning; (3) Both mornings, the housekeeper knocked once on my door and before I could get to the door to see who it was, had unlocked the door and entered my room (this is not reassuring for women traveling alone); (4) There were errors on my bill which had to be ironed out -- a valet parking charge when I didn't even have a car. To their credit, they rectified the situation quickly and politely -- but it was time-consuming.

Bottom line -- the hotel was comfortable and the staff was polite and friendly, but no hotel can lose sight of the basics: cleanliness and a well-trained staff.

• Liked — Great location, comfortable room, polite staff
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness and poorly trained staff
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank lhpotter
Tilburg, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2007

HIwe stayed here for 4 nites during the boston marathon. well pampered travelers and hotelados, we thought this was a very decent hotel. nice decor, decent size rooms, great restaurant, very central within walking distance from everything. Service is good, nothing to complain there. All the staff are very friendly and helpfull. We normally do not like hotels that allow pets, but this was clean enough for our liking.
We liked the little touches like the martini kits, and the design interior, which is fine and not over the top (the lightswich is actually a switch, and its easy enough to find how the taps
work :-) Also the free drink reception at 5 with good wine and softdrinks makes one feel very welcome
No gym/pool though which i find a negative.
We normally stay at the 4seasons which is the complete opposite as fas design is concerned, this hotels compares favourably especially when you compare the prices.

• Liked — design, location value for money
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank SUMMIE
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2007

Great hotel (but it should be great for the price--when did a good big-city hotel room get to be 4-something a night? I missed that memo...). Wonderful staff. The concierge did what concierges are supposed to be able to do--make good tables appear at great restaurants that we wouldn't have thought of otherwise, the valets knew foolproof (important in Boston) shortcuts to anywhere we wanted to go, and overall, it just felt like the machine was really running well. Even at the high-end, the rooms aren't exactly huge with a single King, and would be really packed, as reported elsewhere, with two Queens. Closet space is at a premium, with the safe, a big drawer, and the ironing stuff taking up a lot of room. we had trouble finding room for 4 days worth of coats and clothes for two. We did like the comfy-modern decor, and the views from the upper floor rooms, with the floor-to-ceiling windows, can be pretty jaw-dropping. (chatting with someone at the University (I think it's a law school) across the street, he pointed out that the views IN those big windows can be pretty jaw-dropping, too. This isn't the only building on the block with 19 floors, and that ain't one-way glass, folks...)

• Liked — the decor
  • Disliked — still can't get used to $500ish prices...
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TwoAmps
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2007

We stayed at Nine Zero two years ago to celebrate our anniversary and fell in love with the hotel. Even though we only live a few blocks away, it's always fun to stay in a hotel :) Anyway, we got a gorgeous king size city room and were thoroughly impressed with the entire hotel. We had dinner at Excelsior and when we came back, he had asked the hotel for the romantic get-away package and the bed was scattered in rose pedals, a bath had been made, candles were everywhere, and jazz was softly playing in the background. Everything was perfect. We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. I want to go back!

• Liked — The comfortable feeling throughout the hotel
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled as a couple