“If only I could live here”

Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel
Ranked #20 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, MA
“If only I could live here”
Reviewed May 8, 2007

We stayed at Nine Zero two years ago to celebrate our anniversary and fell in love with the hotel. Even though we only live a few blocks away, it's always fun to stay in a hotel :) Anyway, we got a gorgeous king size city room and were thoroughly impressed with the entire hotel. We had dinner at Excelsior and when we came back, he had asked the hotel for the romantic get-away package and the bed was scattered in rose pedals, a bath had been made, candles were everywhere, and jazz was softly playing in the background. Everything was perfect. We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. I want to go back!

• Liked — The comfortable feeling throughout the hotel
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled as a couple
2 Thank citygirl716

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
England
Reviewed April 19, 2007

Stayed here for 3 nights with my wife a teenage son. We had booked a Premier Room on the hotels web site with City View and Two Queen beds. We got given a room with city view, but one King Size bed. Now that's what I call a serious bit of a sloppy approach to getting it right at the onset. So we ended up in a two Queen Road, with a very nice view of the office block opposite (not my idea of a city view). When I queried the rate I had booked was for a city view reception I was told me "there is no difference in our prices between city or non city view". Funny really as the hotels web site offers rooms at different rates depending on whether you have or don't have a city view (and for which you pay an extra $50 or so per night) - still I'm just the customer so why should the hotel care?

In addition to the above, there appears to be a massive development site to the rear of this hotel, so when contractors start pile driving at the crack of dawn it's tough to sleep.

We did like the hotel and apart from receptions complete hash of things we did enjoy our stay, but getting it all wrong at the start did put a downer on the whole event, which is a shame as the other staff were very helpful and polite.

• Liked — Decent and comfortable bedding
  • Disliked — Poor service at check in
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Nick S
Houston, TX
Reviewed March 29, 2007

This was a stylish hotel. But my room was dirty and that can pretty much ruin it all. When I arrived it was clear that there were rings and spots on the bathroom sink/countertop and it was evident that the desk had not been cleaned in a while. I had work to do so the idea of setting my paperwork on what appeared to be coffee stains was not appealing. When the manager came to check on this and clean it, he first indicated that nothing needed to be cleaned, but he would try. He said the spots were hard water, old stains, etc. Whatever... miraculously they all came off when he sprayed the surfaces with cleaner and wiped. The next day, it seemed that the housekeeper was not too attentive to her duties. There was no attention to detail. Also the robe hanging in the bathroom was worn enough that I did not want to put it on. The best thing about the place was the restaurant attached to the hotel. Now that was good. But it's more important for me to feel like I'm in a really clean room, so I wouldn't choose to stay here again.

• Liked — The restaurant (can't recall the name)
  • Disliked — Dirty marble bathroom sink
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank Malie
brooklyn, NY
Reviewed January 26, 2007

My boyfriend and I were staying in Boston with our beagle and were nervous about how we would be treated. The Nine Zero staff were outstanding, friendly and helpful. The concierge arranged for a private inroom dog sitter who was very nice, a dog gift basket and set up a welcome dog bowl with treats and water in the lobby with a picture of a beagle!! We were so happy they welcomed him!

The room was clean, modern, with nice amenities including a super-comfy bed with top notch sheets. The bathroom was spacious with a fantastic shower. The hotel is in a good location walking distance to the park.

I would highly recommend this hotel and if I'm ever in Boston again, will certainly stay there.

• Liked — Excellent service, friendly staff and dog-friendly
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank emmamartini
Westport, CT
Reviewed January 17, 2007

We took our 13 year old for a long weekend in Boston. It rained for 3 days and 3 nights, which made viewing the sights a real bummer. Thank goodness for the Nine Zero! It made the 3 nights worthwhile. We had great service, a lovely, quiet room, wine tasting every evening from 5-6, and the best breakfast I've had in ages. We were so lost trying to find the hotel that the concierge stayed on the phone with my husband and guided us all the way there. Our NAV system was taking us to 90 Tremont in Charlestown, so beware! I'd go back for sure.

• Liked — Boutique atmosphere
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jll1960
Oxford
Reviewed December 18, 2006

I had high expectations for this hotel but was sadly disappointed upon check-in. The hotel obviously had money invested in to its decor a couple of years ago but now things are looking a little ragged.

My phone & safe did not work. The bedding was unironed, the towels had definately seen better days and the bathrobe was badly marked.

My view from the 10th floor was of the office block 12metres away and I was charged a ludricous amount for a call back to the UK.

Taking all the above into consideration, I have stayed in worse hotels and perhaps I just has a bad room. However following all the other glowing reviews I did have higher expectations for my stay.

Stayed December 2006
4 Thank TravelingN0mad
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 12, 2006

I stayed here with my husband on our wedding night in late August, a few months ago. It is a wonderful property, modern/swanky/low profile feel. Due to a corporate rate I have, we stayed here at $300/night for a "Spectacular Room" (I think Kimpton may have changed the room names now), but were supposedly upgraded to a nicer room since it was our wedding night. The room was beautiful, with large windows and a gorgeous view of Boston from the bed. The bathrooms were very roomy and nice as well. I am very surprised about the complaints here about the service. Service was over the top excellent during our stay, and we asked for a lot of different things. I thought they were great and seemed accustomed to providing high level service. We ate at their Spire restaurant for brunch with our families the morning afterwards, and it was great. The only hassle at all was that they accidentally billed us twice for the room and on wrong credit cards (we used different ones to reserve), but it was quickly fixed with a phone call. Regardless, I'm very glad I stayed at Nine Zero on our wedding night and am eager to stay there again.

• Liked — outstanding service, modern and exclusive vibe
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank spectra21