“Good if under $250”

Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel
Ranked #20 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 11, 2009

A nice hotel if a little pretentious. Location is central but in the evening you have to run a gauntlet of night creatures in front of the Park St. subway, 7 eleven and Burger King - cross the street before you get to that part makes it nicer.
Breakfast was good, but $5 for a cup of coffee!? DId not like having to give alot of personal info online to get the 'free' internet but it worked fine.
Wine testing evening looked cheesy, and we did not partake. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Gym was good, but could not lower TV volume. I would recommend this hotel but not at +$350/nite

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Calvin H
mholz1, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2009

Dear HoltFamily,

Thank you for your tripadvisor review. We appreciate the feedback. We pride ourselves on providing superior customer service and feedback like yours helps us gain insight into how we can improve the overall guest experience. Again thank you for your feeback and review. We hope to be of service to you again in the near future.

Regards,
Nine Zero Staff

Write a ReviewReviews (2,746)

Reviewed September 5, 2009

Stayed here from 2nd-4th September and was not impressed at all.
Staff on main desk were friendly and helpful, but our room was not nice at all. They had two dressing gowns in the room which I would not let my dog sleep on, one was washed out and had a hole in the sleep (elbow) and the the other one (also washed out) had been given a new belt that didnt match! My husband sat in reception with our son for 1-1/2 hours while the wine fest was on and was not offered a single glass even though people were coming in and being handed it!! The bath room was not clean (especially the bath - which I had to clean before using it) the windows were filthy - so dirty you couldnt see out properly. The staff generally were very polite and helpful but the room we had (1209) needed a good clean and new soft furnishings - the bed a fake furry cover which moulted all over my hubby!!! The towels also had a really nasty weird smell about them. I do NOT recommend this hotel. Oh yes, and the internet cost nearly 6 dollars for 15 minutes!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank AUTISMSMITH
mholz1, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2009

AUTISMSMITH,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to complete this review. It is through direct customer feedback like yours that we gain insight into guests’ experiences and identify some of our opportunities for improvement.

I want to sincerely apologize for the frustrations you experienced regarding the issues you faced. I want you to know that I will forward your comments to the appropriate Department Managers for further discussion and future development. If any other details exist that you would like to address or bring to our attention, please feel free to contact any hotel manager at your leisure.
I understand that while in the Boston area, you do have a choice of hotels, and I want to ensure that it remains the Nine Zero Hotel. Again, We truly appreciate your feedback and we are very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced. We look forward to being of service to you in the future.

Nine Zero Staff

Reviewed August 31, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in July. Loved the modern trendy room, which was well equipped and clean. Breakfast was very good, though quite pricey - the restaurant was very classy and service was excellent. The best thing about the hotel was the location - right by Boston Common. It was very close to the start of the Freedom Trail. Also very easy to get to Boston's other sights (e.g. Harvard, aquarium etc) from the hotel - either on foot or on the T. We'd recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2009

Stayed for one night on Business. Small check in area and lobby but all very nice. The rooms were very well spec’d with an eye on modern design. Very comfy armchair in room and bathroom was very nice and all perfectly clean. Only had a shower, no tub, but that didn’t bother me as prefer a shower anyway but could upset some. Had a cd player in the room which was useful. Nice location short walk from the park and shops, and although it’s on a busy road it was very quiet. Great little Irish American style bar next door which was great for a couple of cold beers.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Andrew029
Reviewed August 28, 2009

Literally the entire lengh of our three day/two night trip I was telling my Girlfriend, "I am writting the most glorious review for this hotel on tripadvisor!" We loved it. I'll try to write the review with things I would want to know if I were considering a Hotel. We got the reservation on Hotels.com. I spent months (literally) picking a hotel for a suprise trip for my girlfriend. This won out over omni parker, taj, lenox, rowes wharf, marriot long wharf, park plaza, 5 Beacon, the Millanium, and The Liberty. We checked in on August 25th and checked out on the 27th. Our room was a deluxe king with a view and wine reception.

Location: Couldn't be better. Right across the street from old graney burial ground, a 4 second walk to boston common (pretty much right across the street), a 2 minute walk to old south meeting house, 2.5 minutes to faniuel hall and quincy market, and about 5 minutes to the harbor. So obviously it is right in the middle of the city. Cool little fact: if you get lost anywhere in the north end or harbor, just find the red freedom trail line and follow it to the hotel (it starts across the street). Completely safe neighborhood (lets be honest, anywhere in the penisula of Boston is a safe neighborhood). Walk though boston common and you can get to Newbury St. and Boylston St. and Commonwealth. The T station is literally right next to the hotel and across the street (its the green line, so if you're going to Fenway to see a game like we were, its perfect). We did walk back from Fenway after Papi's walkoff winner, and it was completely safe and, not walking too fast or slow, it was about a 40 minute romantic walk through boston and newbury st.(completely safe). Not one hotel in boston offers this good of a location. Put it this way: you pick a hotel on Newbury or Boylston, you're going to walk forever to the north end, and vice-versa. Its right in the middle of it all. You will never need a cab or, realistically, use the T, if you're at this hotel. You're saving money, even if you park here (honestly, all hotels charge for parking, I cannot see why people made that to be a big deal. I paid 40 at long wharf too. No way around it.)

Hotel itself: Perfect. We got there early (actually parked in a Boston Common Garage to save alittle money), and the receptionist was happy and polite and took our bags while we walked around the city. The exterior is beautiful and the interior is modern and just as beautiful. I walked into omni parker and knew I made the right choice with Nine Zero. Cool lobby, cool work out room (we didn't use it, but it looked cool). When we did check in they gave us a glass of champain (nice touch) and the concierge (both Corey and the now famous Thomas) were great at helping us throughout the city and answering questions and giving us maps. The room was on the 16th floor over-looking boston common and the church next to it (the first night, the night we didn't go to fenway, we could see the stadium in the distance, and even make out the fans) as well as the charles river. There was a big green air thing on the top of the adjacent building, but realistically, how could you complain. If you didn't spend the extra, you would be looking at the face of the next building, so who cares. Still a fantastic room that offered plenty of natural light when you needed it, and none when you didn't. The room was beautiful. Cool and modern. The bed was so comfy and big, the tv was nice, the bathroom huge. The walls were pretty much soundproof (really important on a romantic vacation!) and there were magazines in the room to read. Curtains were both modern and great for blacking out the light. AC worked like a charm. Ice machine worked great too. Very Clean all around. The bathroom shower, for being a green hotel, had great water pressure, and plenty of sink room Its a green hotel so that's awesome. Side note: coolest pens I've ever seen a hotel have. The wine hour: terrific. My one regret is that we could only take advantage of it the first night. Its between 5 and 6 pm and, on our day, offered two different selections: Pinot grigio and a White Sangria. Just great. Apparently my girlfriend even saw a Wii to play too, although I couldn't confirm this (it would be a cool touch though). Everyone greeted you with a smile on your face. They were great about bringing the bags up right away. Just relaxing and beautiful. Then again, you are greeted with the exterior floor stating "relax," and that is what you do. Quiet: no loss of sleep. My girl said she had the three best days of her life and I know if we stayed anywhere else that might not be the case. Truely it wouldn't. I've stayed at Marriot Long wharf before: It was nice and I didn't have a problem with it. It doesn't belong in the same league as Nine Zero. I'll let you pick other places to go and eat and visit: you can be in charge of that. But you will make a HUGE mistake staying anywhere other then Nine Zero. This website helped me out and I hope this helps you out. Sorry for the lack in pictures but just trust me. Amazing hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank markmws
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2009

Dear markmws,
We appreciate you taking the time to post such a detailed review of your stay with us at the Nine Zero Hotel. I can see you had quite an enjoyable stay! I'm thrilled that everything went so well and that we were able to 'wow' you during your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed August 28, 2009

OK, so the 24-hour long techno music and modern looking furniture in the lobby was fun, if not a bit much, but overall this is a great hotel. You can tell that these guys try to do their best - a rarity in the US. They clearly are watching lots of little details. Great location for a tourist, near the subway, near the park, near the State Capital building, across the street from a very old cemetery where Paul Revere is buried, etc. Hotel was clean. Free WiFi was great and they also have cabled internet just in case. Nice soft bedding and pillows. Nice furnishings. Friendly staff. Parking was $38 per day but that's par for this location in Boston. I was only there for 1 day and didn't get to enjoy the 5 p.m. wine but I"m sure that this would be fun. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2009

This is a cool boutique style hotel. Very attractive facilities and rooms. Excellent location for walking the historic trail. Friendly complimentary wine-beer reception in early evening. We would definitely stay here again and recommend it to all.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2009

Dear dogloverIndianapolis,
We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Nine Zero Hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed the location and the amenities, particularly the evening wine reception! I hope we'll be welcoming you back soon.