“Star Count Over-rated”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto
“Star Count Over-rated”
Reviewed August 8, 2009

This is definitely not a four-star hotel, so set your expectations realistically. It is a good three star hotel in a great Boston location right on the Freedom Trail. If you like traditional elegance, this is not the place for you. On the other hand, if you like animal motif, you might love this pet-friendly place. The room was small, not unlike many downtown hotel rooms and animal print was everywhere. Walking into the hotel room is somewhat like walking into "The Shopping Channel" - items for sale are strategically placed throughout the hotel room. The shower stall had a mouldy odor, but appeared clean. On the positive side, the complimentary wine reception in the small lobby between 5 and 6 p.m. was a nice touch.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank hotelwise16
Ninezeromanager, Manager Representative at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2009
Dear Hotewise16,

I would like to thank you for staying at the Nine Zero Hotel and for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor. I was happy to see that you particularly enjoyed the location of the hotel and the complimentary wine reception. However, I was sorry to read that the rooms and decor were not to your satisfaction. Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Nine Zero Hotel in the future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, USA
Reviewed August 5, 2009

We had a very nice stay at the Nine Zero over the weekend. We had booked a queen suite but, upon check in, were given an upgrade to the Cloud Nine Suite..without even asking for it.

The Cloud Nine Suite was amazing with a wonderful view of Boston Commons and with all the amenities and extras you would expect. Super clean and super quiet too. Our children loved it and didn't want to leave.

The staff was very friendly and the hotel was just what we wanted. The breakfast was delicious and delivered to our room each morning within 25 minutes. The location of the hotel isn't perfect, but other than that we have no complaints. It was one of the best hotel stays we've ever had.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
baltimore
Reviewed August 4, 2009

I had stayed at Miami Epic hotel and had such a wonderful stay that I wanted to stay at the Nine Zero. I was sorely disappointed. The room that they gave us had areas of damp carpet, flying bugs, and the shower drain did not work. Water would build up while taking a shower. I was changed to another room. The next day which was much better and we were given one night free , which was very nice. They also gave us a bottle of wine too
the last morning, we went to their restaurant the last morning and ordered the egg white frittata and was served two egg white scrambled. They were going to charge us for both the frittata AND the scrambled egg whites, so we just canceled our original order and paid for the scrambled egg whites we never ordered in the first place. Beware of their Continental breakfast, which consists of stale croissans, fruit and halved banana nut muffins.
The staff tried to make up for the room deficiencies, I will give them that. Alot of apologies. But I was expecting similar service and facilities to Epic, which Nine Zero doesn't come close. Unfortunately, I won't be staying at another Kimpton hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
exhibitv
Reviewed August 3, 2009

We chose this hotel for it's location -- located right by the Boston Commons on Tremont Street. The hotel's lobby presentation was modern and nice. Our rooms were small, but fully updated and beautiful. We spent a lovely day seeing all of Boston's best and felt like we could really relax in our room. The bathroom was beautiful and the bed was very comfortable. All our interactions with the hotel staff were very good. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed July 31, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at Nine Zero while vacationing in Boston recently. We were greeted with a glass of wine during their complimentary wine hour from 5-6 pm. I had mentioned that it was his birthday upon check in and we were surprised in our room with complimentary champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and a nice birthday card from the staff. This was a lovely treat and one we assumed to be charged for but weren't! The decor/vibe of the hotel are impressive as well. Very clean, modern, and chic. Loved the colors, prints and overall atmosphere. There is a fun little pub next door with pool tables etc and a few great restaurants within walking distance. Also a short cab ride (or longer walk) from Newbury Street where lots of restaurants, cafes, and shops are located. Our room was very spacious and nicely decorated. The showers were rather large and really neat, and beds/linens really comfy. Another highlight was upon check out. We needed a rental car asap to drive down to Cape Cod and catch a ferry and were on a huge time crunch. After attempting to rent one across the street and being told they were sold out we frantically approached the front desk for addresses of others to walk or cab to. A very helpful young man at the front desk made a phone call to a nearby rental company and requested a car be delivered to the hotel with priority rush. We were shocked at how easy and quick the process was from there. The car arrived in 10 minutes, we signed the papers and were immediately on our way. That made the difference between us making or missing our ferry boat. Everything at Nine Zero was done a prompt, professional, and extremely helpful manner. I will not ever stay anywhere else when visiting Boston in the future...a truly amazing experience from start to finish.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2009
Dear Lovetotravel2381,
We appreciate the review of your recent stay with us at the Nine Zero Hotel! I'm happy to see you found the hotel comfortable and in a convenient location, but more importantly that the staff was so helpful in accommodating your needs (and a birthday surprise!). I hope you'll be back to see us again when you're next in Boston!
Marylander
Reviewed July 27, 2009

I was in Boston on business and stayed two nights in the Nine Zero and loved it. The bed was fantastic and the location was great (in walking distance to my building). The staff was friendly and everything in the room was spotless. I could have even had my own goldfish if I was lonely.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
SF Bay Area
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Just got back from a two week tour of the East Coast. Booked the Nine Zero after reading the reviews. I LOVED IT! Traveling alone I am sometimes lost in a Hotel however I could not have beeen made more comfortable than the genuine warmth of the staff. Very Clean and modern, amazing location (on the freedom trail!).
Cnt wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2009
Dear jmyw35,
Thank you so much for reviewing your stay with us at the Nine Zero Hotel. I'm glad the staff made you feel comfortable and welcome during your visit! I agree, the location of the hotel is fantastic and I'm happy to see it helped make your stay more enjoyable. We look forward to your next visit!