“Great Hotel, super staff and nice location... loved it!”

Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel
Ranked #20 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 15, 2009

I've spent literally hundreds of nights in hotels.... probably nearing a thousand now...and this place knows a thing or three about service. All the staff were very friendly and helpful, and never treated a request like an imposition. I was offered a glass of wine at check in, got an upgraded room, and the decor was refreshingly un-hotel. Starbucks just around the corner! The one time I was unable to print in the business center, the concierge obligingly printed out all my documents for me. Doormen, housekeeping, reception, concierge, all great. A little disappointed that their restaurant did not open for lunch, as it would have been a nice venue for a business lunch, but you have Ruth's Chris just around the corner. It's a short walk to shopping and dining streets. My room was great. Only slightly inconvenient thing was the tiny size of the closet, and the fact that much of that was taken up by an ironing board that did not fit on the hooks intended for it in the closet, as well as animal print lingerie "for sale" that was hanging in there. There are a lot of hip/trendy items for sale in the room, which would have been better off in a downstairs gift shop, but the trade-off is the Nine Zero is also stocked with "items you might have forgotten" that are handy travel essentials. The wireless internet connection is very good in the rooms, and the desk is functional and well lit. Overall, a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,744)

Reviewed February 9, 2009

We had an awful experience at Nine Zero. My husband and I travel to Boston a lot, and we have never been treated SO rudely in our lives.
My husband has had brain surgery, and since his surgery in 2006 he tends to stutter a bit.
We were in the hotel lounge and we got asked to leave because they assumed my husband was drunk when he went to order up a couple of beers. It was a complete embarassment, and totally uncalled for since he hadn't even had one drink yet.
I would never recommend this hotel to anybody. Due to the reckless nature of the hotel employees...and it is completely over priced!
Good Luck

Stayed: March 2008
5  Thank jvieve19
Ninezeromanager, Management Representative at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2009

Dear Jvieve19,

Thank you for staying at Nine Zero Hotel and for providing us with valuable feedback. It is our goal to continuously improve our service level and the experience of our guests. We sincerely apologize that a member of our staff misinterpreted your husband’s condition and placed him in an uncomfortable situation. It certainly would not be our intention to treat anyone rudely. Our employees are committed to achieving the highest level of guest satisfaction, and we are sorry that you encountered an individual that gave you a negative impression of our entire operation. Please know that we take all of our reviews seriously and will ensure that yours is shared with the team, to better serve our guests. We hope when traveling to Boston we have the privilege of welcoming you back to the Nine Zero Hotel.

Reviewed February 7, 2009

This is a trendy, modest sized property in an upscale part of Boston near the government center. The rooms are sytlish and somewhat minimalist, the bed comfortable, the bath modern and mid-sized. The value here is reasonable for Boston and the location outstanding. The gym, though modest in size, is clean and modern also. The folks at the front desk were very helpful and engaged at both check in and when I confirmed directions to a restaurant. The sytle is not overbearing or pretentious. Did not eat at the hotel but within a five minute walk are a number of fantastic if pricey restaurants on Beacon Street. I was going to the Orpheum theatre that night and it was COLD with some icey sidewalks so this location was ideal. I would definitely go back if I was going to another show at the Orpheum in less than ideal weather, can not beat the distance or proximity of great food.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Fred W
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2009

Dear guest,
Thank you for your recent review of the Nine Zero Hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, and that you found everything comfortable and convenient. Thanks again, and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed January 24, 2009

We traveled along the Cape and ended our trip in Boston. I liked the contrast of the ultra modern Nine Zero hotel with the other places we stayed at on our trip. First of all when you sleep in one of their beds, you will want to buy every single bed linen they have available for sale to take home. The room and bathroom was very spacious, the view was awesome. We were right next to the Cloud nine suite, so I know we were given a good room. However, the price was very expensive...I thought overpriced. They didn't give you anything for free. The decor is very minimal, so I was surprised that housekeeping didn't change the drinking glasses that were left from the previous guests--they were quite dirty. Everyone makes mistakes, so we didn't complain. I would stay again at this hotel, if I were able to get a more economical deal. The bell hops were super nice. The aloof check-in staff were young and robotic. They weren't as polished as you would expect for an expensive hotel, but maybe they were new and learning. The manager was nice.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank city44
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2009

Dear city44,
We appreciate the thoughtful, constructive review of your stay with us at Nine Zero Hotel. I'm glad you found the beds comfortable, and the room spacious. The views of the Common and Boston's skyline are fantastic, and I'm happy to hear you enjoyed that as well. We are always striving to offer the best service possible, and I will be sure to pass your comments to the front desk manager for review. Thanks again for your time, and we hope to see you again when you next visit Boston!

Reviewed January 23, 2009

We were at the Nine Zero hotel for a three night stay in Boston. The hotel is located directly on the Freedom Trail, next to a subway station and an easy walking distance to Quincy Market. The room was modern, clean, very comfortable and identical to the pictures shown on their website so no bad surprises. We enjoyed the free wine tasting held in the lobby every night. A great way to relax after a day of sightseeing. I have no negative comment about this hotel. We would definitly stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2009

i selected the NineZero for a total of seven nights during a conference in Boston on the basis of great reviews and must admit that i was truly disappointed.
- check-in staff were pleasant, but no offer of help with my luggage to my room, which i had to find myself and no explanation of how the hotel's service functions
- no indication from check-in staff as to what was available to use, e.g. where to find the restaurant
- the room was ok, but dusty on arrival
- room service was terrible, with towels not hung up properly, basin area left wet, used items not replaced (eg shower gel etc.) and bed throw left on the floor
- no turn-down service at night, coming back to a dark room after long days of meetings
- i would have expected the minimum of some fruit and some complimentary drinks in the room, but everything was charged for
- had a hectic coffee in the restaurant on the first morning but felt that i was intruding on the staff rather than being welcomed by them. so did not go back!
- only after going through the service book did i discover that i could request a coffee maker for the room, which i did - but refill of coffee bombs then erratic and machine not cleaned every day or cups replaced
- no customer service feedback form or indication of check-out time the night before departure, which i really expect. indeed, no indication that i was checking out the next day at all!
- kept looking for 'vibe' in the hotel, but if anything, the atmosphere was 'flat' and the lobby had neither drinks service nor did it even have any reading material on offer.
- daily newspaper started arriving outside my door on most mornings, which i thought was great, only to discover in small print that this would be charged for and i had to opt out beforehand. check-in staff did not alert me to this.
- big question that remains for me is how on earth am i going to choose my hotel on my next business trip to the US? if price level, reviews and stars do not reflect the hotel, what will?

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank firlefanz
NineZeroFDM, Front Desk Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2009

Dear Firlefanz,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at the Nine Zero Hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for failing to provide you with the level of service you had expected. Please know that such an experience is certainly not standard of the Hotel. In addition, your comments have been reviewed by all members of management as we continue striving to provide 100% guest satisfaction to all Nine Zero Hotel Guests.

Reviewed January 10, 2009

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. That's one of the binding laws of Newtonian physics. That also applies to the Nine Zero hotel. It is an entity full of unrealized potential. They do something outstanding. Then they wipe the experience out with something silly.

I have stayed in Kimpton hotels at least 100 times in the past 10 years. I know Kimpton for having very competent, non-robotic employees. If you stay in hotels a lot, you know what I mean. Usually, their people are so good that it is a bit shocking. You don't expect such presence or individuality in a hotel. However, here at the Nine Zero, they seem to have had a communication breakdown. The right hand did not know what the left hand was doing. In our case, they didn't know when the restaurant closed.

Kimpton get big points and applause for their "green" record. They are loud and proud about it. But, then on a cold day, you wonder why the room temperature drops so rapidly. You follow the temperature gradient and it leads you to the obsolete windows. You feel the drafts around the window frame and realize where the heat is going. When you know that at least 1/3 of the energy expended to heat the room is flying out the window, it is hard to take their organo-groovy position seriously.

Kimpton puts a lot of effort into design. Their rooms are interesting and functional. I cannot think of one that I was ever uncomfortable in... until this one. They put two queen sized beds in a space that just can't justify it. There was no place to open up luggage. We were tripping over each other. 1 person, 1 bag: OK. 2 people, 2 bags: NO-GO.

Then there was the parking charge: $38.
Cheeky.
I'll take Boston over NY hands down, but they doesn't mean they get to charge ridiculous prices for things.

Then there was the phone bill. $27 to call Lowell for 9 minutes. Lowell is just 30 minutes north of Boston. Add that to the $26 it cost to call New Jersey for 6 minutes and your blood begins to boil. After threatening never to stay at this hotel again, the reasonable woman in accounting agreed to reduce the charge to a reasonable $5.

The restaurant KO Prime is horribly overpriced. There are better steaks for better prices elsewhere in Boston. (and you should be eating lobster anyway!) As for breakfast... their $12 French Toast is excellent, however, it is not twice as good as the $5 French Toast at Mike's City Diner. You want to hate them for their prices, but you can't because the wait staff is so nice.

The same goes for the bar / lounge. The cocktails are very pricey. I would only drink there on a special occasion. Our special occasion was that we were snowed in! The price of the menu gives you gas pains, but then the talent of the bartenders somehow gives you relief. Again, action & reaction.

All things considered, they barely justify their price. $239 / night (plus tax... CONSIDERABLE tax) should buy you more.

At <$200, the NINE ZERO would be good deal.

Don't write them off, though. Apathetic they are not. They have enough people striving to do the right thing that I expect they will make improvement. And I'll be back to see what they've achieved.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Ravenshaw

Dear Ravenshaw,

Thank you for your continued patronage to Kimpton Hotels. I am disheartened to read that your recent stay was less than satisfactory. Please know that your comments have been read by all department managers and staff. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. As always, we continue to make improvements in an effort to provide a perfect Hotel experience to all Nine Zero Guests.