“Very Good - Nice central location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel
Ranked #16 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
East Patchogue, New York
“Very Good - Nice central location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

My wife and I chose to stay at Nine Zero out of a slew of comparable hotels in Boston due to its location, a good rate by signing up to be a Kimpton In-touch member and because it looked stylish and sleek (whereas some other area hotels look a bit dated or stuffy). The hotel was very clean with great choices for interior design in the small lobby area. We also noticed it smelled great (a weird thing to say, but it's true). The staff was exceptionally friendly.

When booking, I sprung for the upgrade to the King Downtown view which meant a King Bed, slightly bigger space and a guarenteed downtown view. Ok, so the view wasn't great (giant spotlight in front of the window and a view largely comprised of an adjacent rooftop (16th floor) BUT looking beyond that were nice views of the river, Boston Commons, the Prudential Center (and with help from some binoculars) Fenway Park. I think it was worth the extra money for this room compared to lower ones that likely had views straight into the adjacent office building.

I also thought the maid service was well above average with a turndown service including putting on a "crackling fire" on the TV, providing chocolates, filling the ice bucket and informing us of tomorrow's weather (along with the basic cleaning of the room and turning down of the bed).

The new highball lounge was a great place to hangout and get a drink and certainly not your typical hotel bar. This I think is a great addition, especially when it's cold and/or rainy outside and you don't feel like walking to any other watering holes. The front desk also provided us with a $10 credit to use in the mini bar (which came in handy when we wanted some water and didn't feel like walking to 7-11). Another note I want to make is that when checking in the valet wrote the daily rate on the ticket and the check in staff wrote our daily rate on the key holder - assuring there would be no surprises regarding what we were paying.

A few things that weren't so great is the valet area which was stacked with cars and quite difficult to navigate (not much they can do about this), the ipad in the room would have been a nice touch, if it had an internet browser. Since it lacked this key feature (for reasons unknown) it was basically useless aside from a nice platform to explore google maps from. The bathroom was spacious, but there was no exhaust fan so the room quickly filled with steam during a shower and rendered the mirrors useless for quite some time.

Overall this hotel was a great choice and we would certainly come back again, though they have a few things they can improve.

Room Tip: Sign up for the Kimpton In-touch for discounted rate, free wi-fi and other perks
Green Features: They made an effort to be "green" through several initiatives, though some things (like leaving the tv on during turn-down service) don't agree with the rest of the "green" practices they have
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JRook229
DirectorofOps90, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear JRook229,

Thank you for choosing Nine Zero and for taking the time to write your A to Z review of your experience. The views are every bit worth the upgrade if available. With 19 stories and sitting on Beacon Hill - we have a great viewpoint of the whole city (and better than anybody of that roof next door). Sorry about the ipad being difficult to navigate. There is a link on the bottom crawl labeled "Surf's Up" that will get you on the interwebs in no time.

Happy travels,

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
River Vale, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

This is my place to stay in Boston since it’s in a great location near clients and great restaurants. The staff is always excellent and check in/out is usually a breeze. The rooms are modern and provide all the essentials for the business traveler. One thing that’s changed since my last visit is the restaurant on the 2nd floor. Over the years this has morphed into several different restaurants. The latest rebirth is called the High Ball lounge that appears to be a casual nightclub. While the breakfast menu is basically the same and the wait staff are familiar, the décor is entirely different. The tables are high tops with metal stools and the bar is the main focal point of the room. . This is really not the most comfortable set up for a business meeting. I’m not sure of the target audience since breakfast seemed to be filled with business meetings during all my stays. I think I’ll be shifting my breakfast business meeting down the street to the Omni Parker House with a more traditional set up. A very Good hotel regardless.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Marc K,

Thank you for continuing to return to Nine Zero, as well as your patience with our ever-evolving restaurant space. We are especially excited about the lounge as it is providing great craft cocktails until 130am (well past our old bedtime). The seating situation is fluid as we recognize that breakfast is the most important meal of the day in more ways than one. Let us know if we can help set you up in a breakfast environment more conducive to the tone you want to set.

Regards,

Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

Recently stayed at the Nine Zero for three nights on a business trip to Boston. Love this hotel and Kimptons in general. You get exceptional service and amenities. I generally stay at high end hotels such as Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons, but prefer Kimpton when convenient. If you want formality, stay at those chains, but if you want impeccable, friendly, welcoming service, stay at the Kimpton Nine Zero and other Kimpton hotels.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear DavidL2121,

Hear Hear!

Thank you for choosing Nine Zero and Kimpton.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

This hotel really gets the simple needs of the business traveler- clean room, comfortable bed, great pillows, quality toiletries, free wifi and a make-up mirror in the bathroom. I also love the bar though on this trip it was closed. The staff is professional and attentive. I will definitely return!

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Worklife2013,

We don't need to make your life any more complicated than the meetings, flights, conference calls, and on and on make it. Like Bill Clinton once said, "K.I.S.S."

Safe travels,

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

We loved this hotel. The staff was super friendly and helpful. Our room was lovely - although a bit on the small side. We had a truly spectacular view of downtown Boston and the Charles. The location is great as well. Very convenient.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear abetterjones,

Thank you for choosing Nine Zero on your recent trip to Boston. We have some variety on our room sizes and we know every stay has different size requirements. And for the urban market and central location we're definitely on the right side of the spectrum.

Best,

Concord, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

I was in Boston for Thanksgiving and chose this hotel for my stay. It turned out to be a great choice. I had a Skyview room and upon check-in, I was told my room was on the top floor (19th floor) which made me happy. However, when I got to the room, I noticed that the bathroom, while clean and nice, had a standard tub and shower with a shower curtain. One of my pet peeves about staying in nicer hotels is getting a room with his kind of shower and not the more luxurious glassed in shower/marble tile combination. The room was great otherwise, and the view of the city was beautiful. The bathroom thing is a sticking point for me so I called the front desk before touching anything in the room. Anthony B. from guest services was friendly and quick to respond. He said that there was a room on the 13th floor that might be more to my liking and said that he could meet me there. Within minutes, he was there to show me the new room, which I decided to take. Anthony made another trip to the front desk and back to the room in order to deliver my new room keys. This was excellent customer service and it was greatly appreciated. Once I got settled, everything else went off without a hitch. Loved the room, it was quiet, the bed was extremely comfortable, and I found the rest of the staff to be friendly. The location is great and I found myself disappointed that my stay wasn't longer when it came to the morning of check out. I would highly recommend this hotel and I would not hesitate to stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to speak up if your original room is not to your liking. Would also try to get a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear SPGJeffO,

Truer words were never spoken. If you don't like it - we can fix it. You just have to let us know. We know there are a million things that influence how much you will love your room. While we don't have a million rooms (we're not Vegas), I'm confident we have your soul room on property.

We're matchmakers!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

My husband, daughter + mom decided to escape to Boston instead of dealing with Thanksgiving aggita. We booked Nine Zero off the internet based on reviews and, upon arrival on Thanksgiving morning realized we made the PERFECT choice! Not only is the location right in the center of everything you want to see, it is within walking distance of much of the good stuff. The rooms were modern, immaculate + the bed very comfortable. The only thing missing are drawers for your belongings (only an armoire to hang things) The staff could not have been more accommodating, and always with a smile. Totally enjoyed the afternoon wine social in the lobby. Will definitely stay here again the next time I visit Boston!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear NikkiD64,

You're no turkey! Nice idea to escape from the madness and join our family in the holiday celebration. Sorry you were stuffing your clothes into the closet but other than that it sounded like it was all gravy.

Happy holidays,