“Great Escape for Parents”

Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel
Ranked #21 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Milford, Connecticut
“Great Escape for Parents”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Every once in a while, my wife and I leave the kids with grandparents and get away for a night. When we do, we'll always stay at a Kimpton Hotel, preferably Nine Zero!

Our room was the perfect setting for our special night together. The decor was warm, stylish and romantic. The staff could not have been more friendly. We checked in early and were made to feel like we were a priority. We got a room right away and didn't have to wait a second.

Our night began at the Highball Lounge, an on-sight place to get a drink and a quick bite. I enjoyed the craft cocktail and the creative dishes we enjoyed--crunchy, creamy tater tot nachos and Brussels's sprouts perfectly roasted.

The location was perfect. We walked everywhere. For one night, we were able to relive our 20s in Boston! Thank you to Nine Zero!

Room Tip: We enjoyed our King size room. Great pillows!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
DirectorofOps90, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Emgd104,

If you want to thank the grandparents - feel free to send them our way - we'll help them relive their 40's. Happy to help you turn back the clock for a few hours.

Hope this turns in to a regular thing!

Happy travels,

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
NY/NJ
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I usually stay here for business but my wife and I stayed here during a recent trip to Boston to see our daughter. From the moment we arrived, the staff was fantastic. Helping us with bags, parking the car, taking the bags to the room, etc. Check-in was swift and being an InTouch member allowed for free wi-fi and a raid on the mini-bar. The room was a corner king room overlooking Tremont Street and the old historic graveyard ( John Hancock, Sam Adams, etc.). Breakfast was also pretty good. The restaurant was recently renovated (since July I think) and I liked the feel of it. Overall another great stay. I'm already heading back in a few weeks for business.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear pensfan58,

We should have been off our game a little so your wife would feel bad for you when you have to travel for business. Oh well...at least she knows you're in good hands! Thanks for sharing us with your family. We'll see you soon.

Best,

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed December 2, 2013

This is a great hotel located in the historic Boston tourist trial. The hotel is close to tourist attractions, businesses, bars, restaurants and public transportation. The rooms are small but comfortable. The hotel did not have a in house restaurant, pool, gym (did not see one) or other facilities. The tariff was steep and did not include breakfast.

I stayed here for 10 nights over two stays. In one of my stays a false fire alarm went off in the middle of the night after which I had to walk down 18 floors. I ended up in the cold Boston streets in my pjs only to be told it is a false alarm. The hotel staff did not answer my call to the reception before I walked down neither were staff in the fire exit asking people to go back to their rooms. The whole episode was handled poorly by their staff thankfully it was not a real fire.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Balaji17
Dear Balaji17,

I assure you a fire alarm is responded to with the utmost seriousness and we make a strong effort to communicate to our guests and staff the situation across a variety of channels - with announcements over the loudspeaker, notes recapping after the fact, as well as personal contact. I apologize that in this situation we were not able to make direct contact with each of our guests.

Regarding the amenities - you are correct about no pool, but we do have a fitness center on property that is available 24 hours a day, as well as full service breakfast 7 days a week and a newly opened lounge - serving vintage craft cocktails and really delicious small bites.

Regards,

Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Never meet such friendly, happy and helpful staff before, nothing was too much trouble. Room was great, and very clean. Our first visit to Boston, hotel is right on the Freedom Trail, just opposite the Granary Burial Ground, so very handy for the tourist sites. The restaurant was closed for refurbishment but this was not a problem, Boston is not short of places to eat! Would I stay here again, would I recommend to a friend, you bet I would

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
John from sunny Cornwall,

Can't wait to meet all the friends you're recommending us to! Thank you for spending a few days with us away from sunny ol' Cornwall - sounds delightful. You can add one more great place to eat (or lounge as it were) as we just opened HIghball Lounge in the beginning of November. You'll have to come back now for sure.

Sunny sailing,

Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stayed here on Thanksgiving night and were wowed. Arriving half-lidded due to plane rides and highway miles throughout the day, we arrived at the valet area and proceeded to check in. Anthony welcomed us and offered us two glasses of wine to take to our room since we'd missed the complimentary wine hour by 90 minutes. We'd been upgraded to a corner room. The view was breathtaking. I'm not usually one to go crazy for a city view, but there's something about the illuminated golden dome of the State House and the magic of the Boston Common that just wows me.

The room was a bit on the cozy side, as is expected for the location. That said, the Ritz Carlton does offer a bit more space if that's what you're into. However, what you won't get at the Ritz that you get at Kimpton is amazing service and appreciation for your business. We arrived to our InnerCircle in-room surprise, consisting of chocolates, fruit, premium bottled water, Grey Goose vodka, Stirring's cosmo mix, and Stirring's cosmo rim sugar tin. They nailed it!!!

Upon checkout, the front desk associate had my car keys for me and the car was parked in the valet area ready to go. The valet is a separate company and they leave the keys with the front desk when the car is retrieved, apparently. I love the concept.

It was an easy 10 min drive to Logan Airport from the hotel.

I look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room on a high floor. 1805 was fantastic
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank johnruda
DirectorofOps90, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Dear johnruda,

Thank you for sharing your Thanksgiving holiday with your second family (certainly we feel that way about our Inner Circle members). You're our favorite uncles (or aunts) who we are happy to ply with alcohol and desserts in exchange for tales from the road!

And that probably makes our valets second cousins once removed - part of the family no matter whose coat they are wearing. Happy the experience was great!

In service,

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Traveled on business for 3 nights in Boston and stayed at Nine Zero. I travel to Boston on a monthly basis but this was first time I stayed at Nine Zero and this will be the ONLY place I will be staying moving forward. Staff was exceptional. Room was clean. Great location. Bed, View, Amenities all were 5 star. Love this hotel

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Giraffe5023,

That's more like it! Why stay any where else? If you're not already signed up for our loyalty program, definitely do so: free nights, custom amenities, papers, pillows, an opportunity to raid the bar....and on and on. It will be like we get to celebrate your birthday EVERY month.

Best,

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

I love Kimpton properties normally and actually do like this hotel a lot, but I'm baffled at the terrifically bad bed. Felt like a 1980's best western motel, bed had zero support and had the canyon effect of too soft mattress that has been worn down by overuse. So odd in a Kimpton and unlike anything I've experienced in an otherwise fairly upscale urban property.
That being said, the room was grand and really quiet, loved having corner windows and spacious bathroom.
Also on the plus side, the bar space transforms into breakfast spot each morning. Great space with hightop tables or lounge on soft couch with the paper. Here is not so good point #2 however; breakfast options don't really include any healthy options, and the odd egg skillet breakfast is actually served in a cast iron skillet. I didn't love the taste of iron and oil this produced and wish that breakfast was more up to Kimpton standards.
Overall a good place but I couldn't go back due to really poor two nights sleep.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank rersey
Dear rersey,

I don't suppose a 1980's Best Western hotel bed is one of those things that's retro cool now?...I didn't think so. Definitely atypcial for this property as our beds typically are among the most comfortable in the city (and company). It sounds like we just needed to do a better job fluffing the featherbed topping the mattress. That should have been tended to prior to your arrival. You should definitely come back and give the beds another shot. And of course, if firmer is what you want, then we can simply remove the feather bed prior to your arrival.

We re-launched our breakfast along with the opening of Highball Lounge, so I will be sure to pass along your comments to the chef. If you do come back - we have some great options like an egg white fritatta and yogurt with fresh fruit. Personally, I prefer all my meals served in a skillet!

Thanks for the great feedback. Keep it coming!