“Amazing experience”

Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel
Ranked #21 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 8, 2013

When I think of a hotel for a weekend stay in any city, I look for location, ease of check-ins/checkouts, price, friendliness of staff, and hotel amenities. This hotel has all of that! The location is terrific. You're really within walking distance to everything: Boston Commons, Back Bay/Mulberry, Quincy Market, etc. We came from out of town and saw there was valet, but it was a bit pricey, so I did some research a found a garage within a 5 min walk that was $10/day on the weekends. The staff was very friendly, and the wine hour was great! We missed it when we checked in and barely made it on the second day after sight seeing, but even at 6pm when it ended, we were still able to get a glass! The rooms are all modern, clean, and very nice. The room isn't huge, but it was plenty for what we needed. We had an upgraded room with a city view, and it was amazing. The sunsets were really picturesque. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the blackout shades were terrific in the am. The shower was also great. Check in/check out were a breeze, and the staff held our luggage while we walked around on our last day. All-in-all it was a flawless stay. I would recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: 16th floor and up has floor to ceiling windows. We had a king room on the 17th floor in the corner...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank carman5200

Reviewed April 5, 2013

The Nine-Zero is very well located for checking out all of the sites in Boston. The T is very close in any direction you go out the front door. The service was very good, all of the staff was very attentive to my needs and I appreciate that. The concierge was helpful before we even arrived at the hotel. I will certainly stay again.

Room Tip: 16th floor and above will make sure you have a room with a better view, regardless of the room you h...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Not sure what to expect as after I booked this hotel I learned that they allow animals. Well, we were assured that we would be placed on the 19th floor that supposedly did NOT allow animals, as I have allergies to cats & dogs. We heard one barking, for a short while on our floor! But, aside from this we were not bothered.

Hotel lobby is a little small. One other reader stated that the "wine hour" area was too small to accommodate all the guests who wanted to attend. We carried our wines up to our room to enjoy one another's company. I guess if they did have it upstairs in the bar area, which by the way looks as though it is never used, it would be more room but then they would have to staff it! Whereas it was staffed by the front desk personnel. BTW: If you miss the wine hour let the front desk know and they will gladly provide you with a glass!
Room was exactly what you would expect. A bed to sleep in and a pillow to rest your head! Very comfortable I might add! With so very much to see in Boston why would you want more?

Staff: Highly commend them all! Knowledgeable and most certainly friendly! Always with a smile on their faces.

Downside: Valet parking-be prepared to wait up to 1/2 or more for your car! Most hotels have it on your claim check or a sign in your room. This one did not! Maybe valet personnel should advise you as they are giving you your claim ticket or at least remind you to call ahead and expect to wait. It sure would save a lot of frustration on the hotel guests part!

Room Tip: Ask for a back corner room away from Tremont St. We slept on the side that faces Tremont Street (19t...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MaSleeper
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed overnight for a birthday suprise getaway. The lobby is fun and one of the girls at the front desk was very welcoming probably because we had our cute dogs with us. I had called a- head to ask that some chocolate covered strawberries and a note be left in the room ( even going over the spelling of name, etc) upon arrival for the birthday boy. I saw desk staff scrambling to race to our room as we were checkin in. Guess what- no note. That was disappointing. Anyway- the room was very bizarre and outdated and felt definitely more like a cheap motel. Very strange decor with little style. Not like other Kimptons, especially on the west coast. Staff was oddly disconnected. There really is nothing memorable to report about this place.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank will463
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Overall we liked the hotel because of the location, price, and modern flair. A majority of the guests were tourists from outside the US. They have a good breakfast selection and the restaurant has a view of the Granary cemetery.

But there are several niggles that could easily reduce the rating to three stars if the small niggles continue--for others to decide.

The staff is great--(one of the reasons for not taking away a star), but you may have to wait on line or in line as they have three desks which can be overwhelmed with a just a few people showing up. I had to redial at least 4 times after going into a loop.

They have a 5 pm happy hour--well attended, and the wine selection for the most part is passable. I don't understand why they don't have this event "upstairs" rather than crowd people in a small area on the first floor. Do it at the bar and allow people to sit at the tables.

The rooms are good with contemporary/modern designs and touches, modern audio devices, and the beds are comfortable but for all the modern touches the TV was still not HD. Clearly I did not go to Boston to watch TV but these are the inconsistencies that make you take notice.

The hardware in the doors and bathroom needed fixing--they took care of it but it should be checked. Only two elevators and since this is known there is no reason for repairs to take long--we saw some unhappy people when it took 10 minutes just to come down from upper floors when one elevator went down.

Make the bar functional--you have one, now turn it on.

Hire more staff--especially to answer the phone.

I guess I would stay there again because of the location (another reason for the four stars), friendly staff, value pricing (final reason for four stars), and modern touches. Outside of the staff, those niggles, if not addressed, could really detract from the experience and hence the value.

Oh yeah....lots of dogs. Did not bother me but you might want to know.

Room Tip: Kimpton offers packages with food, drinks, and special rooms. Check their website and also see if y...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Zoomer2You
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Nine Zero Hotel last weekend and we could not say enough wonderful things about the stay. They knew it was my husbands 50th birthday and also my birthday and they had a nice chilled bottle of champagne and a card for us in a card when we arrived. The hotel was in a fantastic location and we were able to walk to all the places we wanted to go. The hotel itself was very fun and we felt so at home there. It was so clean! Our room also had a gorgeous view over the park. We will definitely stay there again.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dra1739
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We spent one night at the Nine Zero, and it was a great experience. This is a stylish boutique hotel, well decorated and extremely comfortable. We also received a warm welcome at the front desk and were quite surprised they knew our names (when we only stayed one night). I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple