“An average hotel.”

Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel
Ranked #22 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 14, 2008

We stayed here for 3 nights en route to New England for a skiing holiday, and overall, it was okay. I'm probably a little disappointed in it and maybe had higher expectations based on the reviews here. The hotel is modern, but the room we had was a little small, a little scuffed round the edges, had a lot of traffic noise, had a Queen bed rather than a King and did not have a bath tub, only a shower.

The lack of bath probably wouldn't bother some people, but as we were doing a lot of walking/sightseeing and fancied a soak to rejuvenate the feet and legs, we asked for a room with a tub after the first night. The staff were very good and immediately changed us to a slightly higher floor room, with a tub, and strangely about twice the space although the room types were supposedly the same. This room actually proved to be much better and was quiet as it was at the back of the hotel. Unfortunately as someone else pointed out, as it was low down it was actually dark the whole day, even on the glorious sunny days that we had. The safe in this room was locked when we got in, so we asked for it to be opened for us and the staff said it would be done right away. It wasn't. We asked again the next day and were told again it would be done. After coming back to the room late that night, we found it still hadn't been done. No big deal, but as we were checking out the next day, it wasn't worth asking again.

On the plus side, the staff are genuinely pleasant, the location is really good, the wine reception is a nice touch and the hotel offers free wi-fi.

There was nothing that bad about the hotel and nothing that great either. It is a little too focused on style, and while the staff are pleasant, the service is a little hit or miss. Based on this visit, I wouldn't stay at Nine Zero again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel

Reviewed March 10, 2008

We just returned from what should have been a week in Boston, but some bad weather in Europe delayed our arrival by a day.
Our stay at The Nine Zero was very good. Our room on the 16th floor was very nice. The bed was very comfortable and shower was excellent. Can't speak highly enough of the staff who were all fantastic. Scott & Thomas on the concierge desk were very knowledgeable. The wine hour was a nice touch allowing us to unwind after a hard day shopping.
Didn't eat dinner at the KO restaurant but did go for breakfast one morning which was pretty good.
We'd certainly stay at the Nine Zero again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Distributi0nManager, Management representative at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2008

Dear David-H,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Nine Zero Hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed our comfortable rooms and amenities, and that Scott and Thomas were able to assist you during your stay. The next time your travel plans bring you back to Boston, please come back and see us! Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed February 26, 2008

M partner and I took a quick weekend trip to Boston for Valentines Day. We have stayed at a few Kimpton Properties in the past and decided to check out Nine Zero. It was a good hotel but I didn't necessarily feel as if it was as nice as some of their other properties. Our room was a nice size for a hotel downtown as was the bathroom. Not too small...not overly spacious. The mini bar was very nice and gave us the opportunity to mix martinis. Prior to arriving at the hotel I received an email asking if there was anything I would need prior to my arrival. I am part of the Kimpton Loyalty program. I replied back that it would be great to receive some restaurant suggestions. I never heard back from anyone. If you don't plan on responding to requests genereated by YOU.....then I suggest you not send out emails. Overall our stay was good. But I am not certain if I would stay there again if I visited Boston.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2008

Date Feb. 22 -24
I booked this hotel through Expedia. I had asked for a king sized bed. But when we checked in I was informed that there were none available, so they had given me a Queen instead.When I told the girl that I was there for my 30th anniversary and she said that she would see what she could do for me. I still couldn't get a king but she upgraded our room to the 18th floor with a great view. The room was small but very nice. Comfy room and great shower. It's in walking distance to Fanueil Hall. We did not try the KO restaurant, it is a little pricey. Plus we love to eat in the North End.

Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed February 24, 2008

I stayed at the Nine Zero for 4 nights in February half term with my 15 year old daughter hotel is great very luxurious rooms are a dream. The room service and over all service given by staff is brilliant scott the concierge is very efficient. The only negative experience was at the end of a long sightseeing day we went to the bar for a glass of wine (soft drink for daughter!) I stood for 1 hour waiting to be served and was completely ignored and I left without a drink! The bar is on 2nd floor pitch black rather like a nightclub than hotel bar and was not at all welcoming I felt that your face had to fit! and its seemed mine did not. The location is ok for sights seeing you can pick up the trolley tour really close the freedom trail is on the doorstep but there are not many places to eat in vicinity of the hotel expecially for people travelling with children unless you want dunkin donuts or burger king I did not! The old town trolley tour was fantastic value hop on hop off all day long and the tour guide big Al was good fun even though we were only two people on his tour. If I could advise anyone Id say go to Boston in spring the parks will be lovely and all attractions will be open which is the one thing we found a lot of things dont open till late March but we had fab time and would go again.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2008

This was exactly what we were hoping for when my best friend and I booked a "girl's getaway"! -The Nine Zero is a stylish and clean hotel with large comfortable rooms and amenities. Best part? THE SERVICE! From the bell hop to the concierge to the front desk clerks, bartender and wait-staff everyone was happy and did all they could to please! The price was right because it included parking and breakfast. Really one of the nicest bartenders I've ever experienced at KO Prime on Saturday night!
Only reason it doesn't get a 5 is because the breakfast was only OK. They were out of lox at 9am on a Sunday in an empty dining room. That actually might have been a good thing because we also found out the bagels were from New Hampshire!?!?
On checkout, we noticed that the breakfast had been added to our bill when it was supposed to be included. Easily and readily fixed, but you will want to double check your bill if you book a package. We would definitely go back for a well-located and relaxing weekend in Boston!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 8, 2008

I only stayed here for a night, but it was a really nice hotel. I would definitely recommend it to others.

The location is great - right around the corner from Downtown Crossing, close the theater district, close to china town, close to beacon hill and Boston common and within a mile to Fanueil Hall and the TD Banknorth Garden. Lots of great things within walking distance.

The hotel itself has funky modern decor, which was fun. The rooms were a decent size with extremely comfy beds and were nice and clean. The bathroom was decent too, all marble and looked very clean. There was a decent sized closet, which contained a bathrobe, slipper socks (to purchase) an umbrella, etc. The minibar was tempting but ridiculously expensive (no shock there). The restaurant was far too pricey for my liking, but there was a decent pub next door with good nachos, drinks and good music.

One complaint: I called for directions on the way into Boston, which were fine, except the receptionist told me that the valet parking enterance was on Broomfield St, which was a one way street, we were unable to turn onto. So we spent a half hour trying to maneuver the busy one was streets, only to find out it was the wrong street altogether! The valet enterance was actually on Bosworth St. Talk about a bit of frustration, though we eventually figured it out.

Regardless, given the opportunity, I would go back.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple