“Very nice hotel, great location”

Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel
Ranked #19 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
“Very nice hotel, great location”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

My husband and I spent 4 days at the Nine Zero. We were really happy with the location (between 2 metro stations which we walked to very easily). The room was very clean and modern, and the bathroom was spacious. The staff was incredibly helpful and we would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Boston. The room was a little small but I would expect that for a downtown hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
DirectorofOps90, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
Dear adrianamh,

Thank you for staying with us last year. Were you in town for the Marathon? We are certainly a popular spot for runners - especially since the loading zone for the busses out to Hopkinton are literally outside our door. Whatever brought you to the city, we're glad everything went so well for you and we hope to see you again soon.

Regards,

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Troy, NH
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I haven't even stayed at this hotel yet and have already had the best customer service I've encountered in a long time. I booked a room at this hotel through an internet provider who had a noncancellation policy. To make a long story short, the room the service booked for me was too small for my party and Andrew, the manager of this hotel, went out of his way to help me cancel this room and get a full refund and even offered me their best room for an incredible price as he felt sorry for us since it was my daughter's 16th birthday gift. Needless to say, after such wonderful service, I have rebooked a room for April 28th and look forward to my stay here. If the hotel is as great as the service - this should be an amazing time!! Can't wait to write my next review of this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank sheldon9
Dear sheldon9,

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your daughter's 16th birthday with us! I have to say a pre-arrival review is certainly a first for me. You'll be glad to know the service is just as good in person! Can't wait to see you guys. Just one more question: who's driving?

Safe travels,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Nine Zero was really great. The staff were really friendly and knowledgeable, the rooms were always clean and neat, the noise level was sort of minimal (despite a few church bells) and the water was always hot. If I had to be critical, being that our window faced the alley on the side, we heard the beeping of trucks and other vehicles in the morning hours. Also there is a church close by so the bells will repeat over and over again. With the window closed though the noise is very minimal. The key cards sometimes didn't work so that was a bit inconvenient, but they had fresh water with fruit slices in the lobby! So that was a really nice touch. The KO Prime restaurant attached is nice, but we didn't eat there so I can't comment on that. It's overall a really nice place, I was very comfortable here. Oh that reminds me, the beds are amazing!! You will sleep well here and it's safe and close to everything!

Room Tip: Rooms over the alley can be noisy if the window is open.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear tonyrome_27,

Maybe we should start piping Jay-Z into our elevators:

"Ladies and gentlemen, put our hands together for the astonishing...N to the Izz-INE Z to the Izz-O". Okay...maybe not but we're certainly thrilled you had a great stay. Sorry about the church bells - those historical buildings can be pesky things every hour, on the hour. They actually JUST fixed the bells so they started chiming again after 150 years of silence. Most of our queen rooms face away from the alley - overlooking the cemetary, so we definitely do not receive noise complaints from those rooms!

Hope to see you again soon,

Stella, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Got a great deal and was pleasantly surprised on arrival to discover that the rate included continental breakfast! Particularly warm welcome at reception which was reinforced throughout our stay by both reception staff and the concierge. Room was spacious and perfectly outfitted with the usual Kimpton amenities that make you smile. Bath was very clean and spacious. Housekeeping delivered extra pillows within minutes. Elevator rugs said "inspire" and "dream"!

Breakfast was probably the best continental we've ever had - fresh fruit, warm croissants and muffins, great coffee and juice with thoughtful service.

Some minor quibbles: Please put a sign out front that a driver can see as Boston traffic can be busy on Tremont! Seldom travel with a car and was new to valet parking - forgot my gloves in the car and went without for two days as car was inaccessible in some elevated garage. The "12" rooms are cave-like with a view of the legs of a man lying on his bed in the Omni next door. Always expect that we will not get the best room when we get a great deal but avoid the "12's" if possible!

In summary, loved the location in proximity to the Boston Common, great restaurants, and the T. Appreciated the value and would return in a Boston minute (except not to 712)!

Room Tip: Avoid the "12" rooms. Sign up for Kimpton membership which includes free Internet
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
DirectorofOps90, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Dear DebandBill,

Thank you for staying with us in February. I'm impressed you noticed the elevator mats. The little elves who change them out will be so pleased to here that!

Happily it was only Zebra robes hanging from the ceiling of your "cave" and not stalactites. Please contact us in advance of your next visit to Nine Zero so we can try to get you a view overlooking another local business, or even better, the Granary Burial Ground!

Safe Travels,

Malmö
Reviewed March 10, 2012

The NineZero seems to have a faithful following, satisfied with this particular kind of “boutique” and prepared to pay for it. I have the feeling that the hotel are more willing to listen to fan appreciation than criticism offering another perspective.

The hotel is very well-located for my purpose of attending meetings on the next block. I think it is for this reason that my host uses this hotel for visitors. The location right by Boston Common is very central, but by no means unique. There are quite a number of hotels in this neighbourhood.

I arrived quite late and the check-in was efficient, with the offer of a complimentary glass of wine. The reception was friendly and the option of signing up to “free” Internet was alerted to. In fact, with one exception, the staff at the reception are all very friendly in a professional way.

The room was small but quite adequate. The desk was large enough for working and well-lit with a comfortable chair. The design and furnishing was, to put it understatedly, rather flamboyant. The room temperature was adjustable and functioned well. Bathroom was quite standard and clean.

Breakfast was not included in the normal (corporate) room rate. It was à la carte and the food was OK. Service was rushed and certainly not worth the tip that was expected. The heating was set very high.

There was no electric outlet for the standard European two-pin plug. The reception had difficulty at first to find an adaptor. The surprise however was that they wanted to charge a deposit to the room. Charging $40 deposit for a $1-2 adaptor was simply ridiculous. The hotel also charged a $100 early departure fee (+ state, local and city taxes on top of that) for departure notified more than 24 hours in advance when the room was based on a corporate rate with no reduction for longer stays at the same time as the hotel is fully-booked, which my colleague was told when requesting a late departure. Of course one was too busy to go through the bother of looking at the fine prints and challenging whether there was any legal basis for this extraordinary fee, so one just had to pay it and leave. In doing this the hotel did a good job in making sure that I would never return.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
DirectorofOps90, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Dear strakur74,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent business trip to Boston and thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with constructive and valuable criticism in regards to your stay. I assure you that your feedback is very important to us.

I apologize that we had such difficulty finding an adaptor to accommodate you. They are a very popular request, and clearly we need to invest in more so that we can accommodate all of our guests in a timely fashion. The refundable deposit is merely a tool to encourage as many guests as possible to return them upon departure.

In regards to the early departure fee, I would be happy to discuss the details of your charge with you personally if you would like to call me at 617-772-5848. Generally speaking, an early departure fee is standard across the industry, and we have ensured that our fee is line with the market, if not more moderate.

I certainly hope that in time you will desire to return to Nine Zero, as we want to have you back. If there is anything we can do to assist with that decision, please let me know.

Regards,

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Stayed for two nights with my extended family - kids, mother in law and sisters in law. Great location, rooms had great view, modern and appealing design - we were at the18th floors. Staff was helpful and friendly. However we had a few issues with housekeeping. We reserved two rooms, when we arrived at around 2:30 PM, only one was ready which was no problem since check in was at 3 PM. When we came back at around 4 PM the room was still not ready, we all crushed in the room that was supposed to be ready, taking turns to go to the bathroom, only to have housekeeping coming in to check the mini bar and the bathroom. Very annoying. When the second room was finally ready, I did notice dust flying in the air as we sat on the beds, maybe the faux fur bed covers are not very practical to clean. Also the toilette did not flush properly. As I mentioned, the staff was friendly and they tried to make up for the inconvenience of having to wait for our room. They offered a free breakfast, which we declined, and ultimately gave us a bottle of wine (retail ~$6.00) and 4 chocolate pralines.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
DirectorofOps90, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
Dear CCnyc123,

Thank you for staying with us last month and bringing the whole family along! I am terribly sorry that your second room was not available until after our standard check-in time of 3pm. I am certain you love your family, but 8 people in a room for an hour is definitely too close for comfort. And definitely a poor start to your stay. And the dust flying off of the faux ostrich feather coverlet is not acceptable either. I have spoken to our housekeeping department to ensure that they are thoroughly completing their 4-point cleaning checklist for the throws after each check-out.

In spite of these bumps, I hope we will see you and your family again soon to ensure that your next review is titled "Totally Excellent".

Safe travels,

St. John's, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Only spent one night at Nine Zero but had to add my review as it was very impressive. The rooms were modern, newly renovated, with large well appointed bathrooms (with Zebra Print bath robes, lol). I stayed in 1806, with a great view of the city skyline. The KO Prime steakhouse seemed very popular and was delicious. The hotel staff, and especially the bar staff were very friendly, funny, and helpful in any tips for walking around Boston. Great location, probably a 7 minute walk from TD gardens and Boston Commons. Will stay here again next trip!

Room Tip: 1806 had a fantastic view of the city. Would recommend a high floor
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
DirectorofOps90, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
Dear ketihnewhook,

Sorry that you were only able to spend 1 night with us. We would have loved to keep your great stay going. The Zebra robes are great - although my favorite are the giraffe robes that a few of our Kimpton sister properties feature in their Tall Rooms. You hit on one of the great things about Boston (and Nine Zero's location specifically) - everything's in walking distance! Maybe a long walk - but still doable - especially in the Spring.

Warm regards,