“Great Hotel, Excellent Location”

Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel
Ranked #17 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Newbury, MA
“Great Hotel, Excellent Location”
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Chose the Nine Zero for a girls weekend getaway. From reservations to check in, the entire process was pleasant and easy. Rooms are spacious, nicely decorated and appointed. Loved the fur coverlets on the bed! The complimentary wine reception was a fun way to start the weekend. Following the wine reception, enjoyed happy hour apps and drinks in the hotel's top notch restaurant, KO Prime.

The hotel is centrally located to Fanueil Hall, Newbury St., Boston Common, and many other attractions. Although didn't have my dog with me, the hotel is pet friendly and was not disturbed by any "barky" guests.

Downside: don't expect spectacular views. Hotel is packed between several buildings, so at best, you'll get views of Tremont and/or Washington St..

Overall - Thumbs up and highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
DirectorofOps90, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Ciao ciao07!

Sadly I have never been invited on a girl's weekend (for obvious reasons) as it sounds like an awesome time. I was worn out just reading your review. A couple of quick tips related to your review: 1) We have pet free floors available to ensure no furry friends will serenade you during your stay 2) We do have some gorgeous views available. Simply ask if there are any view room types available when booking your reservation.

Happy Travels,

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Temecula, California
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Stayed here last summer with my wife and 2 kids. There were some minor problems with the TV and the hot water but the staff were very pleasant and helped us resolve the situation without much inconvenience to us. The location is great, service is great and rooms are clean.
We are planning to Boston return again in 2013 for my cousin's wedding and we will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: request a room on the higher levels. You'll get a better view.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear Willem M,

Happy to hear from you and happy to hear you will be coming back next year. That sure is a long engagement! I'm pleased to report that we have upgraded our TVs since you were last with us to flat panel LCD models. Sorry to hear about the water situation, but glad that our staff handled it so efficiently.

Have a great 2012,

maine
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Stayed just one night recently on business/pleasure and exposed our adopted pup to his first 'big City' visit. The Nine Zero treated us all very well, and made it SO much easier to begin "Tucker's" travel experience with us. I would stay there again for sure; very well-positioned to Boston Commoms and all the great attractions near North End. Had a lovely room overlooking the park, was nice & quiet and very comfortable.
If you must have coffee in your room, do not forget to ask for a coffee-maker; they aren't in the room unless you ask. But the coffee service in their restaurant is wonderful, and lots of daily newspapers to choose from.

Room Tip: Do get a corner room, great views and still quiet!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dear katrinklet,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to Boston. We know how stressful traveling with a "young one" can be, so we are thrilled that Tucker's first stay went so well. The first of many we hope!

Warm regards,

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed February 3, 2012

I stayed here last month on a business trip and had a wonderful time. The hotel check-in staff were very friendly and welcoming. The room was spacious and great; set to my preferences. I loved the iHome to charge my iPhone and to play music in the morning to get pumped up for a meeting. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer better view.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
DirectorofOps90, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2012
Dear RajSharan,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent business trip. Always a great sign when someone on a business trip says they had a wonderful time. Honestly, your review really got me psyched - using the iHome to get "pumped up" for your meeting. Great stuff. Can't wait to have you stay with us again.

Keep that energy up!

Reviewed February 3, 2012

I came here with my girlfriend for her birthday and we really had an amazing time. Everyone from the front desk to the cleaning personnel were warm and welcoming, offering smiles and greetings at every opportunity. I walked into the lobby, sopping wet, following a downpour enroute from South Station, and the people at the from desk worked hard to get my room ready in under ten minutes, even though I had arrived far before check-in time. When I got up to the room, I was seriously impressed with the view. Once I walked in I began to regret that we could only stay for one night.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice romantic night in Boston as the hotel is very chic, nicely situated, and uncompromising in service.

• Stayed January 2012
Dear Stephen_R8,

Thank you very much for staying with us and a happy belated birthday to your girlfriend. I love the destination present. Always a big hit with my wife. With theatres, the North End, and great restaurants all close by, Nine Zero definitely was a good choice. Sorry about the weather. We're still working on being able to manage that part of your stay. At least it wasn't a blizzard! Hope to see you again soon.

Happy Travels,

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Stayed at Nine Zero for a week in October. It's an elegant and well-run hotel with excellent service a stone's throw from Boston Common. There is much to recommend the hotel: modern rooms, lovely complimentary wine in the evening, a well-equipped gym, prompt desk and room service, and -- if you are staying on the top three floors -- fabulous views. Staff go out of their way to accommodate guests and make sure they are comfortable during their stay.

I do have a few quibbles...
While there is a fully stocked bar with mixes, etc in the room ...There was no kettle in the room... no tea, no coffee. After a damp and cold afternoon of walking around the city I returned to my room jonesing for hot cup of something and had to call room service for a cup of tea at GREAT expense. There is a Starbucks a block away but in-room tea is always a plus in the Fall.

While my room had a great soaker tub, my friends who had booked a room a few floors down through Hotwire ended up with just a walk-in shower. Be aware that a cheaper room might have a lesser view and a less well-quipped washroom.

Also... the restaurant in the hotel was not as great as the hotel itself. The dinner menu is ok but there are better places to eat in the city. The breakfast is a little ho-hum and one morning staff snapped at me because -- unbeknown to me -- I had shown up ten minutes before they opened for breakfast (at 7:50am!). The woman also failed to take that moment to direct me to the coffee bar across the room set up for guests (which might have been a nice way to divert my attention for those ten minutes). But really.. the only blemish on what was otherwise an idyllic stay.

Room Tip: Aim for a higher floor that looks over Tremont. Ask for a room with a bath tub.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank monkeybay
DirectorofOps90, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2012
Dear monkeybay,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for the kind words. We love all the feedback, positive and negative. Of course we're partial to the positive!

A warm cup of something is always a great way to get rid of that chill. We have tea kettles AND coffeemakers available upon request or we're happy to run something up to you as well.

I do apologize your friends were unhappy with the shower in their room. Room types do determine who ends up with a shower versus a tub here, as the general rule at Nine Zero is Kings, Double Queens, and Suites have tub/shower combos, and single queens have the (gorgeous) glass and marble showers. There are exceptions on both sides of that equation of course.

Hope that helps clear up some quibbles. Sorry to hear about your experience in the restaurant was underwhelming. I am certain they have shared this with the staff so that all areas of your stay will be perfect (next time).

Best,

Ware, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 1, 2012

The Nine Zero is a beautiful boutique hotel. After plenty of research and reading reviews my wife and I stayed there last year for our anniversary. It's located just a short walk from the common , so we parked in the common and only paid 11 dollars a day for parking as opposed to the 40 a day or so that most places charge.

The room was great with a sweet view but a bit smaller than I expected and I was surprised how old the t.v was . When we got there it wouldn't work but they were prompt on fixing it. I guess some sensor fell off the back of the unit.

The heating unit started rattling at night and kept us up for a bit. I called the desk in the morning and they promptly fixed it.

The beds were so comfy and the work out room was very nice.

Great restaurant with a great staff. The desk staff was pleasant and everyone greeted us . We are an average middle class working couple and sometimes I feel as though some hotels look down on you but not here.

I wasn't sure we would stay here again and were thinking about staying at The W or the onyx the sister hotel in the north end. But after plenty of research we are staying here again at the end of Feb for our 19th anniversary. And I will admit we are looking forward to it.

Even though a few minor things went wrong they worked very hard at taking care of them and in my book that's what matters...kudos to the management for having a well prepared and caring staff. Being in management myself I know that not always the easiest thing to do.

Room Tip: Request a high room so you don't end up looking into the office building across the way or listi...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Danod1
DirectorofOps90, Manager at Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Dear Danod1,

We can't wait to welcome you back in a few weeks. Congratulations on 19 years - thank you for allowing us to celebrate your anniversary (again) with you and your wife.

Some great news: since you stayed with us last March we have upgraded all of our TVs to flat panel LCDs. Sensors falling off are a thing of the past! We look forward to seeing you again and if we can do anything to make your anniversary celebration extra special feel free to contact our outstanding concierge team to assist you with any plans.

Warm regards,