“Big Lovely Room...”

GreenLeadersSilver level
lake grove
“Big Lovely Room...”
Reviewed December 4, 2007

I travel very often for business, and this was the first time I had ever been to boston. The location was really nice, about a mile from Fenway Park. I was there during the baseball playoff, and boy is this town crazy for its baseball team. Upon checking in, my co-worker and myself both had the Deluxe room, and man, was this room big!
Rooms are very nice with modern design. I thought the staff was excellent and helpfull, especially with recommendations of good local eats, as we wanted to walk around the city we never been before. I love Boston, where old meets new......

I would love to come back here again when I get the chance!

• Liked — Big rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Oklahoma
Reviewed November 19, 2007

Stayed here because it's in the Kimpton Group. We weren't disappointed. As with all Kimpton properties, they have great amenities. The staff is superb. They act like they really care that you have a good stay. The concierge is very helpful and guided us to a restaurant where we probably had the best meal we've ever had--and we travel a lot! Go to the Atlantic Fish Company to eat at least once.The only down side to the hotel was that our room was very, very small. It was all they had available and at least we had a great view. From now on, I'll make sure we have a bigger room if we're there any length of time.

• Liked — The service and amenities
  • Disliked — Small room
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
Litchfield, Connecticut
Reviewed November 19, 2007

My wife and I just returned from weekend getaway at the Nine Zero in Boston.

Hotel and Location: The Nine Zero is a deluxe boutique hotel located near the northeast corner of Boston Common adjacent to the Freedom Trail. The Nine Zero is within walking distance of the Public Garden, the Government Center, the Theater District, Faneuil Hall, the North End (Little Italy) and downtown restaurants, shopping and nightlife. There's also a nearby "T" (subway) station about a block away. We found the hotel to be so conveniently located that once we handed our car keys to the valet at check-in, we didn't need them again until we checked out. The hotel's somewhat minimalist decor can best be described as "urban chic". The hotel offers complementary wine tastings nightly in the hotel lobby, which is a fantastic amenity. The Nine Zero's well-trained staff is very professional, gracious and accommodating.

Room: As a "Kimpton in Touch" member I got a very reasonable "One Day Sale" rate of $209 for a King Premier Room (compared to the $279 weekend rack rate). I must admit that due to the "territory-marking behavior" of dogs I was skeptical of staying at a "pet-friendly" property, but my concerns were unfounded. The room was very clean and stylishly decorated. The extremely comfortable king-sized bed had plush linens, a warm down comforter and the softest down pillows we’ve ever slept on. The marble bathroom was very nice and my wife loved the hotel’s deluxe toiletries. The room and bathroom were more spacious than most standard city hotel rooms. Among the many appreciated in-room amenities were chocolate truffles and raspberries at nightly turndown. For those travelling on business, there's free high speed Internet and wireless connectivity in each room.

Dining: We had dinner at "KO Prime", an innovative steakhouse located on the hotel's second floor. KO Prime is an extraordinary restaurant named after renowned Executive Chef Ken Oringer (formally of the Boston Eliot Hotel's Mobil 4-Star restaurant "Clio"). The appetizers, sides, entrees and desserts were all delicious, portions were generous, the service and presentation were superb and the wine list was impressive. The restaurant's "hip" atmosphere was trendy but refined. Like most fine restaurants, KO Prime is somewhat pricey - plan on spending $100 per person for a four-course dinner not including wine (if you order the Kobe Beef, plan on spending at least twice that per person). Most of the reds on the wine list were priced between $100 to $150 per bottle (there were few offerings below that). In fact, my only complaint about the restaurant is that the wine list markup seemed excessive to me. (I have a small wine cellar at home consisting mainly of Barolo, Barbaresco and red Bordeaux, so I consider myself to be pretty good at "cherry picking" limited-production/good value reds off of restaurant wine lists). These days, I can usually find a very good/delicious 1996-2001 Barolo or Barbaresco or "Cru Classe" Bordeaux from a better producer for around $80, which I consider to be a relatively good value at finer restaurants. Unfortunately, I was unable to find a good value at that price point on KO Prime's wine list. Despite this, KO Prime is definitely worth visiting for a special occasion.

Overall, the Nine Zero is a wonderful city hotel in a great location... The "One Day Sale" rate of $209 was also a great value... We'd definitely stay here again!

• Liked — Location, stylish accommodations, amenities and value.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TD60
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed November 15, 2007

I loved Boston!!!...but this hotel was horrible! My husband and I arrived at the hotel around 1:45 pm, of course the room wasn't ready, but to make matters worse, they sent us on a wild goose chase..no joke! We figured we had just enough time catch the last tour of the Sam Adams brewery. We would have made it to the tour if the concierge didn't send us on a 3 mile hike to the wrong place. Apon returning to the hotel and telling where the brewery wasn't located they gave us the keys to a room the maid was still cleaning. The front desk has little to no customer service; I called a few times for phone #'s and given the wrong #’s. They had no clue how to set up transportation back to the airport, they told me that they could call to set it up, but it would be at least 20 minutes before he could find time to get to it. Thankfully this was our last night there!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Hotel's customer service
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jrjetsetter
Los Altos, California
Reviewed October 25, 2007

I was a bit wary of Nine Zero after reading a few of the "not so flattering" reviews on TripAdvisor, but our reservations were made and I'd had good experiences with Klimpton Hotels in the past in San Francisco and Silicon Valley so I decided to just leave the reservations as they were.

Upon arrival (which was tough because we drove into Boston and unfortunately missed the small alley off Tremont St. where the valet is located), we were warmly greeted by the friendly staff. Our room was ready even though we were early.

The room was small but comfortable, and the bathroom was perfectly fine for us in terms of counter space for toiletries, etc. I left the room in disarray as we rushed to make our dinner reservations on time (that the concierge made for us at Bricco, excellent choice) and when we returned, we found everything neatly stacked and our bed turned down, soft music playing, chocolate truffles, and the ice bucket full. We enjoyed watching the Red Sox game 7 of the AL championships on the tv which we thought was fine for the room. We don't travel to watch tv and don't have a flat screen at home either so we didn't mind that it was a regular television.

Upon our arrival earlier in the day, we had let the bellman know that the blinds in our room were not working. A maintenance man was sent up immediately, but he could not fix them as they were broken. I didn't think much of it at the time as we were leaving the room and when we returned it was evening. However, on the 2nd day when we returned to our room at 3:00pm, the room was scorching hot and we could not get comfortable with that sun beating down on us in the room. I went downstairs to get scotch tape to tape down the blinds because the towel I tried to block the sun with kept falling. As I was asking for the tape, I realized how ludicrous it was for me to be taping down a blind in a $450.00 a night room.

I give Nine Zero credit for superb customer service because once the front desk manager saw how upset I was getting over the situation he remedied it immediately by moving us to another room for the night -- a much superior room which my husband and I luxuriated in for our last evening in Boston.

We would most definitely stay at Nine Zero again for its excellent location at Boston Common, the chic, modern surroundings, but most importantly for the outstanding service and treatment we received as guests of the hotel.

Stayed October 2007
5 Thank Jasmine A
the bay
Reviewed October 24, 2007

Great boutique hotel. Excellent customer service. Hotel looks iffy from the outside, but once you go in you will see modern improvements. Hotels rooms are clean, fresh linens, CD music is played while you enter your room, complimentary chocolates and water. Bathrooms have marble counter tops, huge shower w/ lots of water pressure and adequate soap, lotion, shampoo toiletries. The provide daily bed prep and provide ice in the evening. After a hard days work, its great to have it.

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank crusaderS510
Las Vegas
Reviewed October 17, 2007

This hotel was sub-standard. Clearly, management thinks that their customers will be hypnotized by the overall vibe of the place and not notice the little things. Like 23" television sets. Not flat screens mind you, but the old-school box television set that your grandma keeps in her dusty guest bedroom. And I understand that the rooms are going to be small. Old building rehab. Okay - I get it. But there is NO space in the bathroom to put your things on. You literally need to place your toiletries on top of the closed toilet seat! Good times. And late-night room service? They had a total of 5 items to choose from. You would think with Boston shutting down at midnight, Kimpton can throw a few people into the kitchen. Nope. One guy, I'm guessing. 45 minutes for a burger. C'mon guys - can't you throw together a quesadilla? a PB&J? Some nachos? A grilled cheese? You can make a fortune on these items, they take two minutes to prepare, and you give your customer more options.

On the plus side, staff was pleasant and quite helpful. Other than the staff, this hotel was really quite "blah" - nothing more than the proverbial pig with lipstick on it.

Stayed October 2007