“This was just classic”

Ranked #32 of 38 Boston B&B and Inns
Heerlen, The Netherlands
“This was just classic”
Reviewed November 25, 2010

We had been travelling for five months, we were about to fly back to Europe, and we stayed one of the last weeks in Boston in this hostel, which we chose, because of the cheap price for the rooms.

This hostelcis probably for all travelers a different kind of hostel than the most hostels in the us, but its a very classy one. The owner's must have put a lot of effort in making it the classic, antique interior that is so typical for this place.

If you like a old fashioned place to stay, to get that slight feeling of mistery, which is also typical for Boston City, you should really stay here. The people who work here are nice, the rooms really aren't cold at night, they have really good showers and even a bath tub, and in five minutes you're at the sub to get you to Boston Common.

The only thing I mist though, was a kitchen to cook in thr evenings and there is no place in the hostel to sit on lazy afternoons and meat new people, thats the only con for this hostel.

Much bars, stores and supermarkets nearby and the wi-fi is really fast!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 18, 2010

The Farrington inn was a perfectly fine place to stay - it got some bad reviews below, but it looks like the people who run it have really made an effort to improve things. I was traveling with a roadbike, and the staff kindly let me lock it in the shed at night. The place was clean, and I know for a fact that they change the sheets before you get there because I was sleeping late one day after my roommates had left, and the maid came by with new linens. Met some cool people too. It's a perfectly good Boston Hostel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Toronto
Reviewed April 30, 2010

The place is close to the city's T system, Green line - B which is ideal. There are lots of restaurants to pick and choose from close by. The neighbourhood is full of student types.
My room had a bath and kitchenette. It was OK, except perhaps a bit dusty, grimey. The bedding was sufficient. Had to ask for a towel as none was provided when I got to the room.
A man I met who was staying in their other building, got upgraded to a room that had a bathroom and small kitchenette when he checked in, which was the day before I checked in ... he didn't ask for it, but they did it anyway, same rate. However, he claimed he found a dead mouse in his upgraded room and had to call staff to come and retrieve it.
The buildings are old, and perhaps minimally maintained, nothing fancy.
I'd say it's an average place, nowhere near the worst place one could happen upon, but also nothing extraordinary about the place at all. Actually, I wouldn't say it's a 'bargain', as I'm sure there are places in Boston that really are nicer and cheaper, but I just don't know where they are.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
taunton
Reviewed February 5, 2010

We stayed there twice and it wasn't that bad. the parking was free and it was close to everythng.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed January 18, 2010

This place was just awful! In sub zero temps there was little heating throughout our time there, we had to ask for extra blankets as they wouldn't put heating on! Slept in total with FIVE blankets just to keep warm! Ridiculous! In 4 nights spent there on day we were leaving was the bathroom cleaned. Whole time there was a bag with bloodied linen left in an open bag in bathroom, it was vile! There was kitchenette but no cooker, nor was there any washing up products for their limited crockery! Woken up everyday at 6.30 am by banging doors by the manager and kept awake until 1 in the morning for same reasons! Seriously if you can stay somewhere else, location does not warrant the place so awful!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank lillozzaUk

Travelers are raving about these Boston hotels

Naples, Italy
Reviewed January 7, 2010

I have traveled with my boyfriend through the US for one month. We have been to more than 20 hotels that compared to this one, offered heaven for the same price and less!
It was an awful experience, the room was dirty and freezing cold (we were there in november), the sheets looked dirty and covered with cigarette burns, there was dust everywhere. We tried to sleep there, dressed, but couldn't because of the cold. We had to leave in the middle of the night to find some decent place to stay. The common bathroom was dirty as well, no soap, no towels, nothing. We didn't have the courage to take a shower.
I still can't believe we payed more for a dump like that, than for many other nice hotels along the road. DON'T go there!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MisiaH
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed November 15, 2009

Terrible place. Dirty, dusty, ugly, old, and far from downtown. The shower seemed to be a cleaner machine because of the high pressure of the water. The air conditioner was broken. The pillows were so old that they were brown. And (thank God I haven't seen one but) I know there were mice in there because I have my chocolates eaten by them.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank lonely_traveller_br
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boston
Allston / Brighton
Downtown
Hostelling International - Boston
Fenway / Kenmore
Found Places Boston Fenway Inn

Been to Abercrombie's Farrington Inn? Share your experiences!