“I survived the Farrington Inn, and all I got was this lousy t-shirt!”

Abercrombie's Farrington Inn
Ranked #32 of 38 Boston B&B and Inns
los angeles
“I survived the Farrington Inn, and all I got was this lousy t-shirt!”
Reviewed November 17, 2006

Staying at the Farrington was the most fun experience I've had at a hotel in a long time! Each night, I wondered wether I would wake up the next morning or not. Upon entering the Farrington Inn, I was a little alarmed to find that Norman Bates was not only alive, but was still managing small inns to the general public. My party and I should have taken this as a sign of what else to expect, but we were on a budget, and it was the only place left with five beds available. After passing through the quaint furnishings- a stuffed dear head with a silk scarf concealing a "hidden" camera, and a creeky organ shoved in the corner of a stairwell- I realized I would not be enjoying a peaceful night's sleep during my stay here. The attic my party and I slept in (which only had four beds) definately had a lived in feel. In fact, I doubt the previous guests had ever left at all. The mattresses still had body forms indented in them, and the sheets did not look like they had been changed in months. The entire third floor smelled of cigarette smoke and death, the floors creeked endlessly throughout the night. If you ever find yourself deciding between hotels, go with the alternate choice, you'll thank me for it.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — the odor
  • Tips/Secrets — don't book at the last minute, or you may be forced to stay here!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank retraccmnej

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Turkish first
Boston, ma
Reviewed November 3, 2006

Please DON'T stay at Farrington Inn, it is a worst hotel ever. I spent 4 night at this hotel, and felt very terrible. I wanted to save money since it seem the cheapest hotel in Boston area, I spent $80/night but the quality is very bad. The place is so dirty, the room is not clean and so dusty. The bed sheet/blanket looked so old and not clean, also there were BEDBUGS. The shared bathroom is so disgusting and stinky.

IF you want to save money I would recommend to not stay at this place but you may want to find a temporary place on craigslist.org

• Tips/Secrets — Don't stay there.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank vtn

Travelers are raving about these Boston hotels

spain
Reviewed October 15, 2006

I could write pages upon pages about this "hotel"...but I won´t! Instead I will just stick to the point!

All of the bad reviews concerning this "hotel" are totally correct. The good reviews must have been written by either the owners or some very very strange people.

This is not a hotel. This makes a regular hostel seem like a 5 star hotel! I felt like I was staying in a homeless hostal.

It is far from the city centre of Boston. The street (and area) is depressing and quite sketchy. I didn´t feel comfortable at all walking back to the "hotel" at night.

The hallways, bedrooms and bathrooms are disgusting. The bed was really hard (probably about 50 years old). The beds didn´t even have mattress protectors. The sky light didn´t have a blind, so at sun rise the light was shining in on top of me!

The bathrooms are ancient and rotten overall : so bad that I couldn´t even face having a shower!

The person who checked us in was weird. He was kind of jittery-like.

I read the bad reviews before I booked it. The only reason I booked it was because I needed a place badly for one night.

I would avoid this place like the plague. In fact, I am going to write to every single website that has this property on their books and complain about it.

I have travelled to many developing countries and I can guarantee you that some of the cheapest hostels in those countries were better than this "hotel".

• Liked — nothing, it is an awful place
  • Tips/Secrets — Just don´t even go there!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 2008
Reviewed June 3, 2006

I've met a very bad hostel boss in this hostel,his name is Bob,he said I double booked the hostel and insist to charge me double price,even I told him the computer had been hang for one hour between two bookings and I've just got one confirmation letter from hostelworld.com(I booked the hostel through this website),he said I had just two options: one is go away(but he still had the right to debit money from my pre-offered credit card),the other is take his offer,and he fooled me that if I took his offer I could go to the manager Ed on the following morning and if found something wrong I could get the money back.He told me he was a manager at that time.on the following morning the manager Ed just let me talk to Bob directly again,he had nothing to do because Bob was the boss and he was just a staff,and Bob on the phone very rudely said:"I wouldn't give money back,I said that just because I want to make both of us happy!and the $25 is so cheap,why do you waste your time on just $25!"Gesus,How come I met the people like this?He must've thought I'm Just a visitor,he could do anything as he like--cheating on his customer! and what's more strange is he haven't shown up,he was in the hostel but he alwayse talked to the customers with phone,hid like criminal,whenever I wanted to ask a question I was passed the phone by a young but weard receptionist or manager.I called the policemen for help but was dumpped out by them under Bob's very very fluent English explanation.

• Stayed May 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 2, 2005

The Farrington used to be a pretty good deal. It was simple, but always clean, and the people were nice. It is no longer that way. The last two times I have stayed there it has been filthy, and the rooms appeared not to have been cleaned between customers. I wrote to the owner, and he called to apologize. But the next time we stayed there, the problems were worse. You really are taking a chance if you stay here. This time I met someone who was complaining about bed bugs. There is also a very nasty person on staff now, who makes it difficult to complain and to ask questions. Unless you really have no other place to go, don't spend your money here. There are other inexpensive places in Boston to stay. It's a shame, because as I said, the place used to be quiet decent.

Stayed September 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
chicago
Reviewed April 5, 2005

Abslutely disgusting. Compared to other hostels around the world this one was Worse than ones in thrid world countries. seriously. I was bitten by bed bugs and got pink eye. The room I stayed in smelled like someone had smoked a carton of cigarettes in it , then sprayed the pillows with cheap cologne. The sheets were not clean-- I would guess they'd been on the bed for about 2 weeks. And "to conserve water" they have toliets which do not flush properly. The staff was utterly stupid and the owner unavailable. The neighborhood was also very dangerous; worse than detroit!

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business
10 Thank betty33
Reviewed November 22, 2004

As soon as you get to this place you know you have reached a little treasure! Its charm and welcoming smell invite you in to a romantic and cosy little den, if you like going budget you will love it, just as I did. Its almost like camping outdoors, you have the bugs, the creepy noises, the weird location and crazy red heads making moaning noises!. A fantastic place if you want to disappear...forever!

• Stayed August 2003
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boston
Allston / Brighton
Allston / Brighton
Days Hotel Boston-Harvard Fenway
Downtown
Hostelling International - Boston

Been to Abercrombie's Farrington Inn? Share your experiences!