“A little far out, but acceptable”

Abercrombie's Farrington Inn
Ranked #32 of 38 Boston B&B and Inns
Portsmouth
“A little far out, but acceptable”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This hostel was quite difficult to get too, in the end my sisters and I (who I was travellilng with) gave up and got a taxi, being new to Boston and not ever visiting it before and after spending the whole day travelling to get there, I did not have the energy to find trains and switch trains to get to the hostel.
We ended up paying for a taxi which split between us wasnt too bad but obviously the trains would have been cheaper!
The hostel itself is an old house really, its quite big and creepy looking, speaking to other travellers it doesnt have the best reputation, mention of bed bugs and things and thin walls...but I can honestly say I didnt experience any of this? The beds were fine, the room was quite large, we had an en-suite hower and toilet and a small kitchen area with a fridge. We were pleasently surprised. OBviously it is an old house but it had character.
The man who checked us in was very friendly and helpful.
The next day it wasnt difficult finding our way to the trains to head back to the city centre to experience Boston! A little out the way and near the university buildings but a simple trip really.

I miscalculated our stay and requested we spend another night in the hostel, they were very accomodating and said although they were fully booked would not leave us out in the street. In the end we did leave as originally planned but were very happy that we wouldnt have been without a roof over our heads. I did not have a bad experience here and I would say price wise its good value.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank dustiestjenny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

I have a distinct feeling that this place is run by uptight professors.
You have to ring a bell and then wait a few minutes to get service.
Slow wifi couldn't even open email.
My room have tatami-like beds, but was mostly occupied by korean students that seems to never leave the place. (They are probably the culprits for the congested wifi:))
Paying parking at private space, feels safe.

• Stayed January 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Cheapest place to stay in boston at the time, good loctaion, nice staff. But the rooms were bare, unkept and seemed to be old fashioned. Staff were very friendly, no facilities as such, bathroom was for all the house, not just your own. lack of security, the key to the bedroom didnt work. air conditioning was very noisy. not worth the moeny paid

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank D L

Travelers are raving about these Boston hotels

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Although I liked the cozy location and atmosphere, I was distracted by the lack of sanitation. However, the staff were very cordial, and I hope to receive value for value accomodations upon my next visit to Boston.

• Stayed March 2013
Nelson
Reviewed January 10, 2013

My arms neck and side of face is covered in bedbugs! So gross! I wish i read the reviews before i stayed here! I have travelled all around the world in budget accomodation but never have experienced bed bugs! I will be calling the health jnspector on this place. It seems they know about the infestation but have not done anything to rid themselves of these pests! DO NOT STAY HERE! Its not worth it!

Room Tip: Dont stay! Its infested with bed bugs!
Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank Melisa B
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We paid $170.00 for a night !!!!!! way too expensive for such a bad place. Do not stay there !!!! rooms are horrible !!!!! one towel for 4 people, pillow with out pillow case was wraped on a bed sheet, bottle of dishwashing liquid detergent in the bathroom instead of soap : ( !!!!!! blankets full of cigarrete burn holes ohhhhhhhh and the beds are squaeky, making very hard to fall asleep with out being afraid that at any minute the bed will fall apart !!!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay there !!!! rooms are horrible !!!!! one towel for 4 people, pillow with out pillow cas...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank nina w
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

I know it's a budget hotel, but this place was absolutely below a low budget hotel. For $95 a night you are getting way less that paying an extra $50 to stay at an actual hotel. The bed was more than awful. If you moved just slightly, it sounded like a 1000 witches being boiled. My wife and I kept joking that it was the taco shell bed cause it just folded in the middle. Within the first 20 minutes of being there I killed 2 cockroaches. The a/c merely blew air and didn't cool down at all. I would say "don't stay here, no matter how cheap you are."

• Stayed September 2012
6 Thank Landon F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boston
Allston / Brighton
Allston / Brighton
Days Hotel Boston-Harvard Fenway
Downtown
Hostelling International - Boston

Been to Abercrombie's Farrington Inn? Share your experiences!