“Nothing to write home about, but decent”

Abercrombie's Farrington Inn
Ranked #31 of 37 Boston B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Location: seemed decent, fairly safe. Nothing fancy, typical college area with lots of little restaurants and shops. It was an interesting, nice walk to downtown from here, but fairly far (over an hour and a half for me). The train is close though of you prefer that.
Room: It looked ok, seemed like everything could use a good scrub, but nothing looked too gross or anything. I had a kitchenette and the appliances were surprisingly new looking. Tv was the smallest I've seen in any hotel (13''). I saw none of the mice or bugs mentioned in other reviews here. I had to share a bathroom, but I didn't see anyone else using it.
Service: They seemed a little disorganized, it took him a little while to find my reservation. I think that was the reason I got got upgraded to a kitchenette from an economy room however so that was good. It might be a good idea to call them though instead of booking it through their website. They were friendly to talk to though.
Value: I paid $82 a night with tax. Everything else I looked at (even hotels much further away) was over $100 and most charged extra for parking (parking was free here). Can't argue with that.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Kootenay23

Reviewed September 28, 2011

Only thing I can tell you is that I left a bottle of bed bug spray under sink in room 102. Good luck.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Charles F
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We had mice in our room, that woke us up in the middle of the night. Despite the fact that we were moved to another room, the hostel's staff member was annoyed and explained that "it's an old house, it happens", but not for $100 a night!!!.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank Emanuel S
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Shocking!!! Filthy!!! Dump!!! You will walk up loose stairs into a sweltering holding room with a mangy looking, lodge style, deer head over the useless fireplace. Until the profusely sweating check in guy comes to greet you to take you to your night of terror. The bedding has holes and is unraveling at the seams. The TV gets a few channels of static and the knobs are broken off. The shared bathroom is vile and smells like urine, the shower doors do not close, the barred window does not have a curtain and looks out to the street. The worse part are the bedbugs. I met this lovely older women visiting from another country with running scabby bedbug bites. She continued to bring the bites to the managements attention and the profusely sweating wimp acted like he had no idea what the bites were. If you want to ruin your travel stay here.

Room Tip: Stay a few miles out of the city. You will find a better prices and not have to deal with the repre...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
6  Thank Jane32978
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I spent 3 nights in Boston. I slept one at Logan's Terminal E, another one on top of a one story structure at Boston Common park, and the third one here. If I had to do it all over again, I would go out drinking with my $50, instead of spending them here, and just sleep at the park again. I'm not that picky, it just gets me mad when a property doesn't put too much effort. They know hotels are expensive, and hostels get booked quickly so this is their big F.U. to you since they know you really don't have a choice. My bed was located in an attic and it was just a spring mattress on the floor, with the bed on top, $50 for that. There was no internet there, seriously, how hard would it be to hook up internet when you pay so much? Oh and there are no locker rooms, no social aspect whatsover, and the location, well, they can't do much about that so I can't hold them responsible for it. The area is safe, and there is a bus down the street that will take you straight to Harvard. There should be an attic discount.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank Moises07
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Everything in Boston was expensive but I thought the farrington was fine. Nice hotel porch to sit on in the evening, clean room, got upgraded to one with its own bathroom, and the staff was pleasant. I could see the room getting too warm or cold during extreme weather but it was fine while I was there. Also conveniently located in terms of public transportation. If you are looking for something less expensive and very basic I would recommend. Wifi is available but only in the main building which most of the rooms are not in. Bed was not very comfy.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We stayed here over July 4th weekend so there wasn't much available. The manager emailed us to emphasise this is budget accommodation. As we were at the end of a RTW trip we had been mostly staying in 'budget' accommodation so thought it would be ok, but we were disappointed with the standard of the room and the shared facilities.

Our room smelled very musty, there were no proper curtains, the blinds were snapped and broken, the bed was small, ancient and lumpy and the tv randomly turned on and off! Our room was not cleaned for the entire stay (4 days) and the shared bathroom was very old, mouldy and only cleaned once a day. It did not meet my expectations - in my opinion budget shouldn't mean dilapidated and dirty!

Basic repairs, an upgrade in furnishings - at least the bed - (ironically the area is full of cheap furniture shops) and some proper daily cleaning would improve this place no end as it is quirky (its spread over 4 large old houses) and in a nice area, but you get the impression that the owner is not bothered. The inn was booked out for our stay and is probably over-subscribed as Boston is an expensive place to stay. It was bearable as the local area is interesting and has lots of shops and restaurants you can spend time in thus avoiding returning to the room - but if I went back to Boston I would not stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple