“They really could care less”

Abercrombie's Farrington Inn
Ranked #32 of 38 Boston B&B and Inns
Tampa, Florida
“They really could care less”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I spent 3 nights in Boston. I slept one at Logan's Terminal E, another one on top of a one story structure at Boston Common park, and the third one here. If I had to do it all over again, I would go out drinking with my $50, instead of spending them here, and just sleep at the park again. I'm not that picky, it just gets me mad when a property doesn't put too much effort. They know hotels are expensive, and hostels get booked quickly so this is their big F.U. to you since they know you really don't have a choice. My bed was located in an attic and it was just a spring mattress on the floor, with the bed on top, $50 for that. There was no internet there, seriously, how hard would it be to hook up internet when you pay so much? Oh and there are no locker rooms, no social aspect whatsover, and the location, well, they can't do much about that so I can't hold them responsible for it. The area is safe, and there is a bus down the street that will take you straight to Harvard. There should be an attic discount.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank Moises07

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Everything in Boston was expensive but I thought the farrington was fine. Nice hotel porch to sit on in the evening, clean room, got upgraded to one with its own bathroom, and the staff was pleasant. I could see the room getting too warm or cold during extreme weather but it was fine while I was there. Also conveniently located in terms of public transportation. If you are looking for something less expensive and very basic I would recommend. Wifi is available but only in the main building which most of the rooms are not in. Bed was not very comfy.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We stayed here over July 4th weekend so there wasn't much available. The manager emailed us to emphasise this is budget accommodation. As we were at the end of a RTW trip we had been mostly staying in 'budget' accommodation so thought it would be ok, but we were disappointed with the standard of the room and the shared facilities.

Our room smelled very musty, there were no proper curtains, the blinds were snapped and broken, the bed was small, ancient and lumpy and the tv randomly turned on and off! Our room was not cleaned for the entire stay (4 days) and the shared bathroom was very old, mouldy and only cleaned once a day. It did not meet my expectations - in my opinion budget shouldn't mean dilapidated and dirty!

Basic repairs, an upgrade in furnishings - at least the bed - (ironically the area is full of cheap furniture shops) and some proper daily cleaning would improve this place no end as it is quirky (its spread over 4 large old houses) and in a nice area, but you get the impression that the owner is not bothered. The inn was booked out for our stay and is probably over-subscribed as Boston is an expensive place to stay. It was bearable as the local area is interesting and has lots of shops and restaurants you can spend time in thus avoiding returning to the room - but if I went back to Boston I would not stay here again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank naomi83

Travelers are raving about these Boston hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 1, 2011

My girlfriend and myself stayed at Farrington Inn in May 2010. The neighbourhood is pretty cool, I will give them that. It was a little bit too far from down town for my liking, but that was my own fault for not being realistic. The bedrooms were pretty decent, very aged and warm. The living areas were large, but there was no cutlery or cooking equipment.

During the time when we stayed, we were kept up by some rowdy idiots who invites prostitutes or strippers into the neighbouring rooms, making too much noise; after requesting them to go somewhere else or be quiet all together and to no avail, we called the manager and he handled it pretty well considering it was 3am. He gave us a refund for that nights stay which was good of him.

Anyway, the place needs some basic improvements, but its not bad for affordable accommodation.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 25, 2011

there are survelience cameras everywhere watching you leave and arrive, when you leave the owner makes the staff sneak into your room and sprays the mattress for bedbugs (it never works as every room is still infested, so all the guests are unknowingly sleeping in pesticide chemicals and bedbugs). they will put all your belongings back in place so you never new they were in there.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank dirkdigler199
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 22, 2011

I paid $119 for a night, the bathroom was clogged and dirty, you can lock the bathroom door that is located in the middle of the hall, the oldest TV I ever see, no internet, tiny beds, you have to wait hours to see the manager. The room was smelling, looks like they do not change bed sheets, the room was dirty.

When I went to my room after a long day in Boston, tired guess what, the bathroom was full of toilet paper and completely clogged. The smell is terrible, mold and mild, the place is insecure and overprice.

Room Tip: Look for a better place in advance
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Traveler20112011
Dallas
Reviewed March 10, 2011

This place is like staying at your elderly Aunt's home -- the rooms are outfitted in aged antique furniture and the walls haven't been freshly painted in awhile. The place is cold in the wintertime -- either ask for more blankets or pick some up at less than $5 each at the thrift store 2 blocks away. Also, the showers in the shared bathrooms never get super hot. Despite all of that, the neighborhood is awesome with some hip pubs and really good Korean and Indian food (amongst others). The staff are super friendly, and you get a great deal for the money. Downtown is less than 20 minutes away by public transpo. All in all I would highly recommend this place to the budget traveler. I wish there were more lodging houses like this instead of sterile youth hostels with shared rooms. Great for long-term stays.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boston
Allston / Brighton
Comfort Inn - Boston
#76 of 83 in Boston
Downtown
Hostelling International - Boston

Been to Abercrombie's Farrington Inn? Share your experiences!