“Great Location”

Ranked #61 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Los Angeles
“Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2005

This hotel can't be beat for the location and the friendly staff. However, if you are driving to Boston, this may not be the best location for you. There is really no good place to pull over and drop off your luggage. Besides the person at the front desk, there isn't anyone who can come down to help you - no bellman. Getting to the "closest" parking garage is a bit of a hassle as well. Then you have to repeat it all when you leave. Take a taxi or the T! Also, they are in the process of adding a restaurant on the ground floor so be prepared to walk through a bit a construction site on your way in.

8 Thank CAGAL626

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2005

My friend and I stayed at the Charlesmark Hotel for the Boston Marathon weekend. The location is ideal, and the hotel is modern, and very cool. We had a room overlooking Copley. Our room was filled with technological goodies. My favorite was the surround sound stereo with a speaker in the bathroom, while my friend took advantage of the hunderds of channels available from the satellite TV.

Obviously, Marathon Monday was the highlight of our trip. As I did not run, I watched from the hotel lobby, overlooking the finish line. A girl at the front desk helped me track my friend's running progress on a computer in the lobby. More importantly, the hotel owner and staff went out of their way to provide food and beverages in the lobby for us spectators... and at no cost!!! It seemed as if the hotel was celebrating Marathon as if it was a holiday.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Boston, a very lovely city - if you've never been, you should certainly go. Just be careful of Newbury Street, home of shopping galore, I nearly spent all my money the first night!

Stayed April 2005
25 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
washington, dc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2005

Stayed at the Charlesmark for two nights and was pretty pleased. It's a good deal, especially for the Back Bay. The staff was very friendly and helpful, email access in the lounge was very convenient, and the continental breakfast was perfectly adequate.

However, the rooms are small. I was traveling alone and had one of their smallest rooms and while it was fine for one, two would be a squeeze and the closet space was very limited. The only other downside of this place was the 5:30a.m. trash pick up! I realize this is completely beyond the control of the hotel but it is something for light sleepers to consider.

Stayed April 2005
7 Thank mao23
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2005

This place was great! New, modern, clean boutique hotel. Rooms have all the best technological goodies... surround sound stereos, wireless internet, and satellite TV with tons of channels. Also, the bed was terrifically cozy.

Staff was helpful and friendly. The personalized dynamic of a small hotel was not lost on us, as it is a pleasure to have staff actually remember your name and the purpose of your visit.

Location couldn't have been better... across the street from the T and bus stops, and only two blocks from the Amtrak train we took to get to Boston from NYC.

And of course, the Charlesmark did not make us broke as the price was unbelievablly reasonable for the location.

All in, this hotel is highly recommended to any and everyone. I wouldn't bother staying anywhere else!

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bloomington, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2005

Where to start? I picked this hotel based on reviews on tripadvisor. I was happy with our choice. The location was good for a couple of reasons: a half block from the T, across the street from the Boston Public Library (and a bank of public access computers), and there was a healthy selection of restaurants down Boylston within a few blocks. Also my teenage daughter wanted to go running, and we were three or four blocks from the Charles River with great running paths.

There was a mixup when we first got to the hotel. Although we reserved a room to sleep three, it turned out our room was handicap-designated and only slept two. The night clerk made an accomodation for us and we were all happy.

The front of the hotel is under construction which really wasn't any problem. The breakfast served in the second floor was quite adequate. We were there three nights. One morning I had a doughnut, the next a blueberry muffin, and the third morning a bagel. The bagels were excellent! Very New York like. Also a bowl of fresh fruit and choice of coffee, tea or OJ. Although breakfast was over at 10 AM, the fruit and remaining goodies were out until evening.

My daughter liked that she could play CDs in the full stereo in her room. There is a lending library of VHS movies, but we were always too tired to watch them.

There were problems with internet access on the computer in the lounge, but that was okay. There were problems with the soda machine in the basement too (the cans came out hot instead of cold!). But that really didn't overshadow the good value that this hotel was for us. The staff was uniformly helpful and friendly.

Restaurants: we liked Legal Seafood at the Pru and the food was really good at The Atlantic Fish Company.

We'd gladly come back here again!

12 Thank olderguy47
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2005

I LOVE the Charlesmark. Great decor and location! I would stay here everytime I go to Boston!

• Stayed December 2004
5 Thank VBW_III
Westchester, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2005

In the best possible location to be in all of Boston, Charlesmark is an amazing deal! Very nice rooms with very comfortable bed, and decorated with local artwork. Loads of free features... continental breakfast, wireless internet (fast!), Direct TV, and free videos to watch.

I highly recommend this hotel as you will find nothing else in Boston where you can stay so cheap, so well, in such a nice neighborhood.

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business