“Boston "Pensione"”

Ranked #64 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Merrick, New York
“Boston "Pensione"”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Charlesmark during the perfect storm time period for getting a hotel room in Boston....Spring and multiple college and university graduations. We were in town for one such graduation. I picked the Charlesmark for location. It is in the perfect spot... Copley Square and just steps from the "Green line T" (Boston's mass transit system) If you are taking Amtrak into Boston it is also very close to the Back-bay Train station.
If you are driving there are a number of garages around the area, and the hotel has a limited discount at one a number of blocks away. I believe Boston is not a good car city, and it is easy enough to use public transportation or walking to get most everywhere. We had to bring a car because of moving our student's belongings.
The Hotel itself reminds me of a European pensone. It is small, and has limited services, but is lovely and easy. This is not the hotel to go to for over the top luxury/services. But the rooms are clean, and comfortable. I noticed in other reviews complaints about the size of the rooms. In my opinion the room was fine. I didn't have a view of any kind, but that is to be expected in this type of hotel. The building is an a very old part of Boston and once upon a time it was a residence. It is very quintessential Boston! (I used to live in Back bay many years ago) The bathrooms were clean and modern. I did find the provided soap etc. to be extremely basic. There is a 24 hour CVS (drug store) a block away for any forgotten toiletries. We bought soap that was more to our liking there.
The front desk staff was accommodating and helpful. The complementary breakfast (continental) was easy and adequate. The bar is lovely and active, but we had no issues with noise. I thought the price was good as well. I was renting a room during a high volume/high cost time period and this hotel was reasonable for the city. If you are looking for serious bargains motel like prices, you will need to go to the suburbs. Over all I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: front room will have a street view
4 Thank kz2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Upstate NY
Reviewed May 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed here last summer on the tail end of a road trip from NY through ME and MA. Reception was very pleasant and quick. Upon entering out room we were greeted by the sound of classical music playing lightly in the background, the room was clean and modern. Our room was small but comfortable, the bathroom was a nice size, kind of large considering the size of the rest of the room. The stereo was hooked up to speakers in the bathroom, which was a nice touch while showering and getting ready. The bed was comfortable and clean. I usually don't sleep directly on hotel pillows. I either bring my own pillow case or use a t-shirt. There were no worries here! Our view was of an alley between buildings, not very exciting but we weren't in town for the view from our room anyway.

The continental breakfast was basic but good. We did some adventuring around Boston but we never made it to the bar downstairs to try the drinks or food.

Parking in the area can be pricey but we found a great deal right down the street. Walking out of the Charlesmark, take a left and walk about 3 blocks (1-2 min) and there's a parking lot on the left.

Overall I was thrilled at the value here. Reasonable prices, great staff, great rooms and great location.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Pasco, Washington
Reviewed May 23, 2012

The location is fantastic. We bar hopped our way to Fenway park. The hotel is small and eclectic, very contemporary. It was clean and the rooms made the most of the space they had. Dan and Curt at the front desk were cheerful and helpful offering tips on bars as well as loaning a forgotten phone charger. Breakfast was very continental but was enough to break our fast. A great find for those willing to have fun with it.

Room Tip: 501 has a view of the Boston marathon finish line
1 Thank tahtah58
Hungerford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2012

After reading the reviews for this hotel we felt sure it was a good find. It is in a great location as mentioned in other reviews. It also lived up to the modern & trendy decor and vibe but I wasn't quite prepared for how small the rooms and bed in a standard room are! I don't really mind a small room but the bed was just ridiculous!!! It is definitely not what I would call a 'standard' double bed. When we asked to upgrade we were told that the Hotel was full and we couldn't be moved. We therefore had 2 uncomfortable nights sleep, disturbing each other everytime we moved!

The breakfast is ok, but don't expect much! A variety of bagels, fruit and doughnuts are served. A toaster would be a welcome addition.

In all, everything was good except for the bed size. If you book at this hotel I would suggest you pay a bit more for the Queen bed! We also liked the music system in the room but would rather have a good nights sleep.....so perhaps spend less on the sound system and give people a better bed!

1 Thank HungerfordSharky
Leander, Texas
Reviewed May 17, 2012

My wife and I just returned from Boston where we stayed at the Charlesmark. Sadly I became sick shortly after arriving so I spent more time in the room then expected but this was the place to do it. While small the rooms were not cramped though I wouldn't want more then two people. There was an older style tv but it had surround sound, cable, and a DVD player. My wife enjoyed they free breakfast every morning so that helps. Also this is in a main area and right by the T so there is easy access to they city. The price was right, the location great, and a clean room with a helpful staff. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone coming to Boston

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Hard_3
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Stayed in a standard room which was compact but adequate for a single occupant. Very clean room and bathroom. They had copy of Boston Top 10 for guest use which was a nice touch. The only complaint about the room from me is that I could hear creaking noises (presumably from the occupant above) sometimes at night, otherwise a very quite room despite being on a busy road.

Breakfast which was included was bagels, porridge, fruit and beverages. There are two computers available for guest use. Check out is at noon which also helped.

The hotel is located right next to the Copley train station, close to lots of restaurants and shops and the Hynes Convention Centre is about a 10 min walk away. Walking distance to Boston Common too.

It is also great value compared to other hotels in the area. Highly recommend staying here when visiting Boston.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank UrbanAmma
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed May 10, 2012

this property has possibly 35 rooms, Very small rooms. Everything you need and nothing extra. the a breakfast is marginal. We sampled 3 of the smallest rooms, the first two were problematic -- needed maintenance. The third room works beautifully.

Room Tip: take a top floor, avoid 507 or 607. 606 is nice
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends