“Fun Food Tour”

Bites of Boston Food Tours
Ranked #5 of 43 Food & Drink in Boston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Bites of Boston Food Tours' Sweet and Savory South End Tour is a food tasting and neighborhood walking tour, providing locals and visitors alike the opportunity to explore and learn about the South End of Boston. The South End is a vibrant culinary and cultural community, but remains an area less traveled by most who visit the city. Our "off the beaten path" adventure combines delicious food tastings at 6 local eateries with a fascinating neighborhood tour to allow our guests to explore and experience the South End like a local. During the tour, guests can expect to not only learn about the history chef/owners behind each of the restaurants and markets we visit and taste delicious local foods, but also to visit unique points of local historical, architectural and cultural interest in the neighborhood. This 3-hour tour is filled with food, facts and fun! All food tastings are included in the ticket price and collectively provide enough food for a satisfying lunch for most people. This tour covers approximately 1.5 miles in 3 hours and is suitable for a variety of ages and fitness levels.
Watertown, Massachusetts
“Fun Food Tour”
Reviewed August 26, 2014

Every summer, our department at work, chooses something fun to do as a group. This year, someone mentioned that the South End in Boston had a walking food tour, and we decided to give it a try. At the end of the 3 1/2 hour tour, I think everyone agreed it was a really great way to spend some time together. The six restaurants/establishments that we visited were diverse enough to make the afternoon interesting, and if someone didn't care for one tasting item, there was usually something at the next place that would be pleasing. Along with the food samplings, the tour guide gave a great historical rundown of many of the architectural highlights in the area. She was terrific.
My only suggestion would be getting the restaurants to offer more of the "real" food, and cut down on the sweets. We had small portions of anything that was of a savory nature, but whenever a dessert was offered, it was a full portion. All in all, though, I would enjoy doing it again.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Jean G

MA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great way to get to know the South End”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

My husband and I have visited Boston often and wanted to do something different on this visit. Our memories of the South End from the '70's weren't positive and we had not had a reason to visit it since then. Alyssa's tour sounded like an interesting alternative activity and the reviews here were encouraging, so we went. We were very happy we chose this tour. It was a very tasty and interesting introduction to the history of the area and to its restaurant scene. After the tour we immediately made it back to the Flour Bakery, one of her stops. We're looking forward to attending any new food tour Alyssa may develop.

1 Thank RTravelerMA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't miss out on this unique way to experience the South End!!”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

I LOVED the Bites of Boston Food Tour in the South End. Even though I have lived in Boston for 5 years, I learned so much new and interesting info about the South End, and tried places I have never been! All of the food was delicious, even though some were things I thought I didn't like or things I wouldn't try on my own. I have since gone back to a few of the places on the tour because I enjoyed learning about them so much on Alyssa's tour. She is a knowledgeable, energetic, and accommodating. I would do this again in a heartbeat.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Alissa A
Cleveland, Ohio
“Delicious”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

This was a great tour of an area of Boston that I would have never thought to see on my own. The food choices were delicious. There was something for everyone. The tour could adjust to food allergies, which was nice for us since we had a couple of almond allergies in our group. The old neighborhoods were stunning and this area is clearly up and coming in the culinary world. There are a few places we want to go back to next time we visit and will definitely take a tour with this company again. The guide was very knowledgable and gave us advice on what other areas in Boston we should see.

1 Thank Lindsey440
Laconia, New Hampshire
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great South End tour experience for foodies”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

My wife and I experienced the Bites of Boston Food Tour in Boston's South End this past weekend. What great fun!
We live in central Massachusetts and frequently journey to Boston for food and events however the South End is not an area we know well, nor were we aware of the great culinary diversity to be found there.
Our tour guide, Alyssa, was simply amazing. Her knowledge of local eateries and their chef-owned origins, as well as her command of the local history made the afternoon truly enjoyable. Visits to a selection of restaurants and shops offered us a chance to see the South End "from the sidewalk" and to taste a great mix of savory and sweet options for the palate. The walk was probably two miles, end to end, but included the six stops for a chance to rest as necessary. We were teamed up with 12 other folks of mixed ages and backgrounds. Some were city dwellers and others, like us, came in from towns around. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves immensely.
I encourage anyone looking for a chance to see and taste a "slice of Boston" not usually thought of as one of the more traditional tourist areas, to check out this South End experience.

2 Thank Mark L